Which is why I feel like I might be jinxing things to say that things have been pretty good around here lately. Zachary is sleeping through the night (almost every night) in his own crib, so I've been getting better sleep than I have in two years. I'm exercising at least a few times a week and I'm eating a little bit healthier. It is amazing how much better I feel, and how much easier it is to handle a challenging kid when I'm doing a better job of taking care of myself.
Last weekend was absolutely beautiful, so we spent hours outside at our two favorite greenways - and so I've been inspired to find more outdoor activities for us to do. I found everything from sculpture events and Easter activities at the local botanical garden, to farms designed for visitors to upcoming festivals all within about 30-40 minutes of my house. And then of course we have fun things to do in our own backyard - tomorrow Finn and I are planting wildflowers on the top of our embankment.Last weekend was hopefully a peek at the year we have ahead of us. We had so much fun, and both boys were absolute joys to be with the rest of the day after having so much fresh air and activity. Last year we didn't do much until the fall when we discovered our greenways, because Zachary was so difficult to take places, but now he loves being out and about - this year is going to be so fun for us all. Unless it rains a lot. And then I've got to prepare myself for a bunch of time indoors at overly crowded kid museums.
To be honest, I'm a little worried that I'll attempt a few activities and then forget about the other ones, and we'll spend the whole spring and summer in our backyard. Which wouldn't be awful, I'm sure we'd have a nice time. But this is the time of my life with my kids that I've been so looking forward to, I want to make sure I get the most out of it. So I'm putting it out here, that we're going to get out of the house most weekend days and that we're going to try to go somewhere different at least every other weekend.
I think I'm going to have to find some way to get myself organized for our weekends (as well during the week). I've tried apps on my phone, I've tried dry erase boards...I think maybe it's time to invest in a good, old fashioned weekly calendar.
I also need to find some way to get this year's 365 project going - I've got the pictures, I just need to get them organized. I think I'll just keep posting them here on the blog, as it was a great way to keep myself accountable and organized. I've not been overly inspired with creative pictures just yet - maybe planning some adventures and actually posting pictures might help.












Have to say, you are super inspiring. So happy to hear about 7-ish hours of uninterrupted sleep for you....that makes such a huge difference :)
ReplyDeleteHave to say, you are super inspiring. So happy to hear about 7-ish hours of uninterrupted sleep for you....that makes such a huge difference :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you're getting more sleep. I'm sure that makes a huge difference. Even if you spend all your time in the yard, enjoying your boys...that's still wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI always love your family updates since it is pretty much our future (my boys will be newborn and three this next year). Thank you for helping me mentally prepare for a challenging year, and also giving me hope that those early days will only last so long! Great to hear things are going smoother now!
ReplyDeleteI agree that getting out in the fresh air can make a world of difference all around. I like to put a calendar together in the spring for the whole summer. I plan 1 away from home activity per weekend & leave the other day free for come what may but the calendar is just an idea space & can totally be changed if something better comes along or if we just aren't up for it. I've found sometimes I over plan & miss out on fun weekends in the backyard. This way we get the best of both worlds.
ReplyDeleteI love this. And I'll say that my own goal of "one weekend day home, and one weekend day exploring" has been really great. This week I put no thought into what the "exploring" part was going to be - and then had a last minute inspiration. The 1/1 plan (hah! Branded.) is easy, managable, and allows for spontaneity. Just in case that inspires or helps you and the boys as you always inspire me.
ReplyDeleteI love the 1/1 plan! I'm totally stealing it. :) Well... I'm going to *try* to steal it! I love the one new thing one day, and one day home or doing our old standbys. Glad you're having better weather... Our snow is *starting* to melt, although we're having some wintry mix as I type this... Ah, well - soon!
ReplyDeleteGlad things are going better. Enjoy the nice weather!
Yes, glad to hear your getting more sleep! And great job working out. I can relate to having a good idea then it being tough to keep the momentum to continue with it. Do you rely on a calendar? For me, it's really helped to "calendar" anything I want to make sure I do, so maybe calendaring some of these events out into the future would be helpful?
ReplyDeleteSide note - I thought it was cute you said "big baby" :) Curious if that is in reference to it taking more energy to physically care for him and move him around?
Springtime means happy kids AND even happier Momma! There is nothing better than being able to get outside for a really, really long time without getting too hot or too cold.
ReplyDeleteI am often thinking these same words you wrote: This is the time of my life. Little children are strenuous and sometimes one is exhausted. Especially when doing it as a single adult. My two boys are a little older (7 and 9). I still feel like this is the time of my life. The time I want to remember when I am older and they are out in the world. It is hard sometimes, but there is also so much joy in it!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are getting a chance to take care of yourself some! I often forget this as well and what a difference it makes in our lives. I am impressed with the plans to get out and about! You inspire me to try the same!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are getting more sleep - its amazing the difference it makes to one's well being and consequently one's parenting. I love your plan of spending time out and doing excursions. Particularly areas that are about 30-40 min drive, so its not too long a car ride. I am going to proactively start looking for fun activities as well since Beanie is such a great age now. Thanks!
ReplyDelete