Monday, March 23, 2015

#Microblog Mondays - Making a Kid Happy

"Today do you have to go to work?"

Finn says those words every single morning.  It may not be the first thing he says, but he usually says it within the first 5 minutes of being awake.

Many nights he climbs into bed with me in the middle of the night, but some nights he sleeps the whole night in his room and then comes into my room after I'm already up and in the bathroom.  Even on those mornings, when it's still dark outside and I'm in the shower, he comes in, rubbing eyes against the light: "Today do you have to go to work?"

Sunday morning we all slept late, and the sun was up with the covers of my bed bunched at the bottom when I heard Finn walk into my room.  He paused, and then said in a worried and sad voice, "Mommy?"

"I'm right here," I said, and Finn ran to my bed, climbed up and snuggled up next to me.  He was quiet for a few minutes, and then he asked, "Today do you have to go to work?" I told him no, and he said, "I came in here and didn't see you, and I thought you had already gone to work. But then I heard your voice and you were here!"  He swung his arms wide, "I'm going to hug you now!"

We then spent at least ten minutes talking about what days I'll stay home, and what days I'll work.  "Tomorrow do you have to go to work? The next day? The next day? The day after that? The next day?"  Every "yes" was met with a frown, and every "no" was meet with a huge grin.

Someday it will take more than a day off from work to make him this happy.  But today.  Today I love being able to make him so happy just by being with him all day.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how so sweet! I love this post... The picture of Finn, the love he has for you and his pure sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! One of those moments that make you say "this is why I became a mom."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written! Elena & I have similar conversations just about every day. I leave for work long before she wakes up so she asks every night, "Will you be home when I wake up?" & my heart breaks at the look on her face when I say no...except Fridays! But then she's often too excited to sleep then, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. Does he have a calendar? We have the Melissa & Doug magnetic calendar (though it doesn't get updated as much because we had to move it high up so the baby doesn't eat it). Laura loved seeing the days and following what activities she has on each day and what the plan is. We have two preprinted calendars around, but I need to bring back her own in her room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be the age. I have to make sure to tell Sidekick every night what the plan is for the next morning so he understands (school, soccer, park, meet friends, etc.) He thrives on his routine. He knows what school mornings are all about, so if it's not a school morning, then he likes to know what the plan is. Every morning when I go into this room to get him, he repeats what our morning is all going to be like. It's cute how much they want to understand their little world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw ... that is so cute! Beanie knows Saturday is "no school and Thomas" and Friday is "pizza".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, what a perfect memory to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to be little and miss someone so. It's also hard to be big and miss that little person back. Glad you get days like these, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same here. My kids are never happier than when I announce that it is a "stay home day"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photo!! Elsie asks the same thing expect she asks if it is a "mommy-Elsie day" :) Makes my heart melt.

    ReplyDelete