Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Whirlwind

These past few weeks have been crazy and hectic and exhausting.  I don't know if I've ever felt so consistently exhausted in my entire life.  Both boys are changing at an amazing pace, I know that childhood goes quickly, but this is crazy!

I started Zachary on solids this past weekend - he had his first bite of oatmeal (mixed with a generous amount of breast milk) and has never looked back.  I didn't start Finn on solids until he was almost 6 months old, but Zachary has seemed interested in food and has been taking so much milk during the day, it just seemed like it was time.  The biggest reason I waited to start Finn on solids was because of the recommendations to wait until 6 months to decrease the risk of allergies, but now other studies are calling that into question, and one study showed that delaying solids until 6 months may increase the risk for type 1 diabetes.  So clearly no one has any idea what the right answer is - which is when it seems like it's best to go with my gut feeling.  And based on Zachary's reaction to oatmeal, it was the right thing to do.

I'm trying to take better care of myself lately. I've been moving more, and even did an hour of yin yoga before bed last night.  I've also been trying to sleep more, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

The most impressive thing about this week's pictures are that Zachary is awake in every single one.  He still sleeps a lot, but he's more and more aware of the world around him when he's awake, and getting to be so interactive and so fun.  I don't want this age to ever end, and at the same time I'm really looking forward to him being a little older so it's easier for the three of us to do things together away from home.

6/18/14: he's not rolling over yet, but he's working on it

6/19/14: he's just about outgrown his swing, but it's still his favorite spot to nap

6/20/14: just minutes after his biggest meltdown ever - still not sure what caused it (gas?)

6/21/14: started solids today: one of his first bites of oatmeal

6/22/14: I don't think his eyes are going to stay blue, but I'm loving them now

6/23/14: pensive during snuggle time with mommy 

6/24/14: looking sharp in his overalls

6 comments:

  1. Your boys are beautiful and you are such a good mom! I'm glad you know to listen to yourself about what is best for them. You proved yourself with following your gut with Finn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's gorgeous (but so is his big brother!) beautiful boys! Such a good Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's so adorable. We started Laura on solids before 6 months. She was obsessed with us eating and kept miming the motions. She loved solid food. This one will probably want to go early as well. He loves food in all forms - different types of bottles, breastfeeding. He doesn't care how it gets to him.

    I love all his expressions. I love seeing the sneak peek into what ours will be doing in a couple of months. Ours is awake often actually, but we don't get a lot of emotion, just odd faces influenced by gas. We waited almost 4 months for a smile from Laura, but I think this one will crack a smile earlier for us.

    My hats off to you! I went back to work this week, and I'm exhausted. I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing with all that you do!! So glad both your boys are doing well!! Adorable pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a handsome little lad, and the spitting image of Finn in some of those photos.

    ReplyDelete