Friday, June 6, 2014

What Are You Doing This Weekend?

"What are you doing this weekend?"

Fun at home
I think I was asked that question 10 times today. And every time the answer made me feel like a lazy parent.  "Oh, nothing much." And then I'd think, shouldn't I be planning fun trips for my boys?  Shouldn't I have great and exciting educational activities for them to do at home?  Why am I so lazy?

And then, just now, I realized the truth.

It is hard work getting both boys out of the house.  I could do it, but it's not fun.  I'm tired.  I work all day, and I see my boys for a few hours at most each day during the week. Zachary doesn't care where we go, as long as I'm with him.  Finn has fun at home or out.  He doesn't care.  He doesn't need anything fancy, he just wants to be with me and Zachary.

If my boys are happy, why shouldn't I be happy?  And if my boys are happy, why should I feel guilty? We'll have plenty of time for the exciting adventures in a few years.  And I'll probably never be the one who creates the great educational activities for them at home - outside of reading, that is. For now, the simple routines of laundry, cooking and yard work are enough to keep Finn happy, and all Zachary needs is lots of snuggles and singing.  All things I can do in a weekend without ending up an exhausted, frazzled mess.

I'm 43 years old, and yet I still have trouble remembering that sometimes the best parts of life are when I stop trying so hard and remember to just live.

18 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! Well said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my most favorite childhood memories are eating Popsicles in the back yard, playing in the sandbox, building forts everywhere. I was taken to Disney land and do I really remember - nope. Memories don't have to be fancy to be special. Besides people need to learn how to be happy at home with only themselves for company - it's really important in this entertain me every moment of every day society. In my opinion that is what has killed so many kids creativity. So stay at home and play... The occasional outing will then truly be special vs just a blur :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I never went out with my kids and it was me AND Erik trying to wrangle them. It's so much work, I think about you and other solo moms and wonder how in the heck you do it. This spring was the very first time we started going out and it's finally sorta easy. But sometimes it's insane again.

    You are doing an amazing job lady. Give yourself lots of self-fives and no more self-doubt. Got it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture!! You are doing an amazing job at raising your children!! They will love you no matter what you do and where!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is very important to just hang out at home. I know far too many kids (teens and adults too) that constantly need to seek out activities and be on the go. Hanging out at home teaches kids to have some calm down time, and it also forces them to be more creative in their play. I agree with the other comments, you are a great mom!! (And I still absolutely love that photo of Finn!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. Hanging out with your little kids at home is "something exciting to do this weekend" for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 43 years old, and yet I still have trouble remembering that sometimes the best parts of life are when I stop trying so hard and remember to just live.....well said!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so true that for little kids, doing laundry and yard work is fun and an adventure. I like what others said about creativity, too. I remember making up lots of pretend games at home with my dolls/stuffed animals, which I think developed my imagination. :) Cute pic of Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And in a few years you can make it "pajama day" and put on a DVD and everyone will still be happy at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, yes, this is why I get so irritated sometimes at lauravanderkam.com... there are a lot of good reasons to just chillax on the weekends! (I suspect getting out and doing stuff on weekends is more important for people who work from home than those who work in an office.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm asked this question too often for my taste. Families don't have to Disney-ize every weekend. Little kids really do prefer to stay home with the ones they love. Two things we recently did: walked the neighborhood letting my 5 year old lead the entire time---making all the turn decisions, etc. and taking another walk with a tree identification book. The boys loved using clues to find names of trees we encountered. Both times we got away but were only blocks from home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Staying home and having fun with mom is undoubtedly at the very top of Finn's list of perfect days! Love the bed jumping photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about this...
    Q: "What are you doing this weekend?"
    A: "Being a single mom to two boys under the age of 4."
    I'm pretty sure that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's good that you're not over-scheduling your days off. There is nothing wrong with spending a weekend relaxing, and clearly it's a good time for both you and the boys. Enjoy your weekends at home, you will have time for big adventures or activities later!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the response of "quality time with my boys at home" is as good as anything else :) We put too many expectations on ourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get out of the house on weekends out of self preservation, E housebound can spell an unfun day of tantrums from bordem (her & me, lol) The nice weather now is helping because be can stay home & ride bikes, play in the backyard but I am always lamenting that I can't wait until she finds vegging on the couch watching movies all weekend a fun activity! Getting just the 2 of us out of the house is hard enough, I can only imagine what it's like for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to work 3 days a week and now 4, so for 1-2 days I was/am home alone with 2 boys under 5. I got into a habit of always taking them out to do 'something', it could be simple as going to feed ducks, walking to the local park or something that requires more effort like an indoor play centre, a bushwalk or even the zoo. I find now that if they spend too much time at home, say from the time they wake up until lunch time, they begin bouncing off the walls and now with a mobile 2 year old destroying the house and jumping off everything! I wish I had started the going out habit later in life, but i enjoy that they are outdoor kids. IF they're happy at home.........keep it that way!

    ReplyDelete