Driving to work on Friday it suddenly occurred to me that I have finally accomplished both of my big dreams. As of July, I'll have been in my practice for 10 years. As as of this February, I'm finally the mom to two kids. My entire adult life has been spent working towards being a doctor and being a mom, and even after Finn was born I was still thinking of efforts to conceive my second child. While I'd be happy having even more children, I don't think it's a realistic possibility as long as I remain single. And for the first time in my life, I really have absolutely no interest in meeting a man.
Which means that I find myself in the very foreign situation of just living for now. Of course I think of what the boys and I will do as they get older, both the mundane daily activities and the fun adventures, but I know those are going to come with time. I don't have to work for them. My focus is finally where it should be: living for today.
Is it weird that it kinda scares me? There's a part of me that feels like I need to be absolutely perfect. I have the life I've dreamed of for years, complete with the wonderful house, and it seems like I should be the model mom, never losing my temper and always finding joy in every second of parenting. And so I feel guilty when I yell at Finn, or don't do enough to nurture him through something that upsets him, or let Zachary cry for a few minutes because my shoulders hurt from carrying his massive weight around, and I just need a rest. I feel guilty even though I know I'm going to mess up, I'm going to make mistakes, and we're going to have bad days and nights (last night Finn woke up with a stuffed up nose, crying, "I can't smell!" - funny and miserable all at the same time). Somehow I need to learn to allow myself to be ok with the reality that I'm not the perfect mom. I suspect that feeling guilty and being fixated on the unobtainable quest for perfection will actually keep me from being as good a mom as I could be. My kids don't need perfection. They just need a mom who makes them feel loved, laughs at their jokes, and is fairly consistent with setting rules and boundaries. It's just not as easy and straight forward as I somehow thought it would be, back when I imagined my life with children.
This sounds a little like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I know how incredibly lucky I am and I honestly don't quite believe it. I keep expecting to wake up and find it's been a dream, or to have someone show up at my front door and say, "Just kidding! None of this is yours, take your cat and go back to your little apartment, all alone, where you belong."
Does this feeling of unreality ever go away? Maybe after a few months of the daily grind of work and little sleep, I'll finally believe it's true. Or maybe I'll never quite get over the sense of shock and wonder that comes when I suddenly realize I have two little boys in my life who call me mommy.
I'm going to try to enjoy it all - but also not beat myself up for the times I just want to lock myself in my bathroom to get a few minutes of peace and quiet.














You are perfectly normal. So many of us work toward stuff for so long that when we finally reach it, we don't know what to do with ourselves. Every day won't be a dream, but you will be ok. :-)
ReplyDeleteAwwww what a great post :)
ReplyDeleteI had a conversation with a friend recently how it's a scary place to be to have everything you've dreamed for. For me, being the paranoid being I am, I constantly have this fear in the back of my brain that it will all be ripped away.
ReplyDeleteI wish you wouldn't be so hard on yourself. I believe being a mom who loses her temper IS a great mom because it's real. You show your boys we all have big emotions. Trying to be perfect you'd do your boys a disservice since no one is perfect.
Well said, I often have similar feelings!
ReplyDeleteI never comment. But I really suggest getting the CD The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting by Brene Brown. It totally helped me with all the mommy perfection guilt and focus on what is really important.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. The other day we were sitting at the dinner table, the girls were being totally silly, and we were sharing a rare moment of just being. And it occurred to me-- damn, I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off for years, trying to keep it all together, and I haven't had the time to appreciate it all. I looked at these two gorgeous, hilarious people at the table with me and thought, "they are mine!" It was definitely a "this is not my beautiful house" moment!
ReplyDeleteFor me it's cyclical. There are times--mostly because of the sleep issues--I really can't handle it and there are times I'm in awe of where I've ended up, esp after years of ttc/infertility/loss/. Mostly it's good.
ReplyDeleteI hear you. I now have the kids, the job (which I'm dreading going back to in September after 14 months off), and the house (which I'm soon going to have to unpack). Now it's time to settle in and enjoy....and remember not to sweat the small stuff or the things out of my control....and remember my house doesn't have to look perfect. Great post.
ReplyDeleteThank you SO MUCH for writing this. I have been discussing this with my mentor as I have begun the (very very early) beginning stages of setting out on this journey myself and this is one of the biggest worries of mine. Feeling like I will have to be perfect, not only for my kids, but for others to perceive me as perfect and for myself to prove that I could do it. It's so nice to know that others struggle with the same feelings.
ReplyDelete3 years into motherhood and I still have these strange thoughts, usually in the quiet moment, when I think "Whose life is this?! When will they come and reclaim Elsie?". Then it dawns on me again, this is my life and my little girl!
ReplyDeleteAs for the perfect parenting... I think all parents worry if they are doing it right. And that is what gives me hope. Because look at all the great kids out there and their parents certainly weren't perfect. I think the fact you worry about it IS what makes your a great parent even if we all slip up once in awhile!
The imperfection thing is so hard. I'm way too torn up right now to be eloquent but I hear you, sister.
ReplyDelete