As soon as I got there, I was checked in to a quiet room that's especially designed for c-section patients, and everyone got to work. I had a nonstress test to make sure the baby was still doing ok, then got my IV, some fluid, Heidi got her OR garb on, and suddenly it was time to go back. When we first got back to the operating room area, they let me walk myself into the OR and climb up on the table. Within minutes the anesthesiologist was there to administer my spinal - I had to lean forward as he prepped me, and Chimichanga did not like that at all. It was incredibly uncomfortable, so much so that I barely felt the stick and burn as they numbed me. Chimi started to move around a lot as I turned to lie back on the table, and the last thing I felt as the spinal kicked in was his butt trying once again to shove up under my rib cage.
![]() |
| Me and Lisa before surgery |
![]() |
| Heidi ready for the OR |
Dr. L held him up for me to see, and Heidi left my side to go be with him and report back on what was happening with him. "He's so cute!" "He's 9pounds 8ounces!" "His liver is normal!" amongst others, most of which she had to yell to be heard over his very robust cry. Then the NICU nurse practicioner came over to tell me he was perfect, and everything looked good, and Heidi joined us while holding Zachary. She was able to sit down next to me for a few minutes so I could look at him and nuzzle for a few minutes, before they sent them out to recovery while they finished up with me.
![]() |
| Heidi, Zachary and me |
I vaguely noticed the nurse come back in to check my bleeding and she noted that it seemed like I was bleeding a lot, and then another who looked at the monitor and said, "Is that her blood pressure?" I glanced up and saw 63/40, and then there was a flurry of activity as they checked my blood pressure again, changed my fluids, Dr. L came in and started to exam me and anesthesia was called to come back in. They decided I was hemorrhaging, and Dr. L began to try to remove clots from my uterus while pressing on my abdomen and they gave me meds to help my uterus clamp down. I am so thankful the spinal was still working, as I can tell from how much my body was moving as they worked on me that I would have been in horrible pain if it hadn't been.
They did a good job of keeping calm, and surprisingly I felt better with my blood pressure barely measuring on the monitor than I had in the OR when it was in the 90s. I knew it was serious - I remember thinking that I really hoped they didn't have to take me back to the OR for an emergency hysterectomy because the recovery from that would be awful and I wouldn't be able to go home on Sunday - but I never felt overly anxious. I'm not sure if it was because they were so calm in their management, or if it was because of the fact that I was distracted by Zachary, but it really wasn't until later that I realized how bad it could have been - and that it was pretty bad to begin with (my hemoglobin went from 13.5 pre-op to 8.4 post-op).
Our time in recovery was a bit longer than anticipated, but I finally made it back to the room, and Zachary was able to come with me. He had a abdominal x-ray done in the room, which was normal, and then he had to go down to radiology for an ultrasound (Aunt Heidi was able to go with him for that) while they continued to monitor me and give me lots and lots of fluids. My blood pressure stayed low for a while, but finally came back into the low normal range about the time the pediatrician stopped by to let me know all his tests were normal. In addition to the worries about his liver calcifications, I had been worried that I didn't do as well with my gestational diabetes as I could have, so I was also very relieved when his blood sugars all came back normal, and he was alert and breathing well.
![]() |
| X-ray |
Saturday I was feeling much better - still really tired, but I was able to stand up straight, and I took a shower. I had wonderful food all day, and just a few visitors, which was perfect. Lisa came to hang out at lunch, and stayed while Heidi went back to the house to shower and change clothes. I managed a walk in the hallways, and Facetimed with Finn. He was so bemused by Zachary - I wish I'd been able to video it, he was excited and confused, all at the same time. He definitely missed me, and didn't sleep well while I was gone.
![]() |
| Aunt Heidi with Zachary |
![]() |
| Baby Zachary |
Zachary is such a sweet baby. He has a huge set of lungs on him, but he doesn't cry too often, and when he does, it never lasts long. He loves to snuggle, and makes the cutest little noises. Finn is in love with his baby brother...but that's a subject for another post.




















OMG! I got teary-eyed reading this! I am SO THRILLED FOR YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are both ok. What a birth story!!! Zachary is beautiful. I'm so excited to watch your boys grow together. You have a wonderful support system!
ReplyDeletePPH is scary! So glad it all went well in the end. Zachary is lovely, enjoy hon. Congratulations again xx
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I love that song too, and the fact that it was playing when he was born...I think he will be a mellow soul!
ReplyDeleteSounds like things were a bit scary there for a while, what a relief that both of you are doing so well now. Can't wait to hear all about Finn's reaction to being a big brother!!!
Sounds like you had a great team - God bless these medical professionals who know how to keep things calm and even festive! Can't wait to hear how the sibling adjustment is going - I'll be taking notes!
ReplyDeleteAmazing! He's so cute and I'm so glad he arrived safely! Scary about the hemorrhaging, but glad they were able to get it under control. I look forward to hearing stories about Finn and Zachary together. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful birth story, despite the scary PPH. Holy moly on your BP and hemoglobin!! Fiona's got some Hgb she'd love to give you ;-) Amazing that you are home so soon - it is a testament that you took good care of yourself and Zachary while pregnant. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteSo glad it all turned out OK, can't believe you got home in two days. - Zachary is just gorgeous. Well done!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear all that you experienced but am glad Zachary is here safe & sound!!! Congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteAhhh! He is so gorgeous and perfect and BIG! I teared up a little reading this -- birth stories get me right in the feels, these days. It seems like just yesterday you got the positive test, and now he's here!
ReplyDeleteAww what a great birth story...thank goodness your bleeding got controlled! Good luck these first few weeks. Enjoy every second!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! I am glad the you and Zachary are doing so well.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful baby, wonderful story (but not the PPH part)! I'm so glad you are okay and were able to go home on schedule. That proves how well you took care of yourself and Z while you were pregnant. Good job, mama! Congrats again, and I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing about Big Bro Finn!
ReplyDeleteCongrats again. I love those photos - so beautiful. He is just gorgeous. I also teared up x
ReplyDeleteCongratulations again! So glad you guys are home safe and sound. Zachary is beautiful. I love that photo of you guys right after his birth, when you are holding him up to your face. You look like Finn!
ReplyDeletePPH sucks. My Hgb went from 13.2 to 7.5, but no one realized how much blood I lost for two days. I'm really glad your team was more on the ball. How is your energy level now? My energy took a whooping once the adrenaline wore off. Definitely plan for extra rest. I know, easier said than done!
Congrats again on your gorgeous family!!!
Congratulations!! That's a great story, aside from the hemorrhage part. I also love that sone, and would love to hear it while a baby of mine was being born. That's really something to treasure.
ReplyDeleteI was holding my breath reading your birth story. I'm so glad you all are healthy and happy! Congratulations! Such a beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad it all went pretty well, bleeding aside. He sure is cute! I'm anxious to hear about Finn's reaction to him!
ReplyDeleteOh my, he is SO beautiful! And I am SO glad you are both doing fine now - that sounds like a scary after birth experience!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations and love love his name! So glad your nurses and docs took immediate and careful action - sounds scary. Happy you are both well! I can't wait to see pics with your two boys together!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! It sounds like everything went well in the long run, and I hope they continue to do so now that you're home.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I am so excited and happy for you! What a beautiful little boy you brought into this world. You almost make me want to have another, but I can't let my thoughts go there as, given my age, that would be too close to impossible.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! He is beautiful!!!
ReplyDelete(And, speaking from experience, you are absolutely right that you are glad you still had anesthesia when they were dealing with your hemorrhage. I didn't and it was the most painful thing I have EVER experienced.)
Gosh, that was scary about the bleeding, but glad it all worked out well. Zach is a so adorable! I cannot wait to read about Finn's reaction and how he is adjusting to being a big brother.
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Momma!! what a scare with the hemorrhaging, so glad you were so well taken care of! Can't wait to hear more about life with the 3 of you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! he is beautiful!! So glad you had such a great medical team!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, mama!!!!!!! So happy for you and your beautiful baby boy, and that you are okay after a very scary pph.
ReplyDelete