I have been so focused on all that I've had going on this pregnancy that I've not really focused on the baby that's growing in me. That's not to say that I haven't reveled in the fact that he's so active (he moves 3-4 times more than Finn ever did on a pretty constant basis) or not spent a lot of time rubbing my belly. No, I've definitely enjoyed those parts of pregnancy. But what I haven't done is spent much time really thinking about what this baby is going to be like, and what life is going to be like with two.
Last week I finally got around to getting some books for Finn about a new baby in the house, and those books are what I thought about when I woke up in the middle of the night last night with my regularly scheduled pregnancy insomnia. And it occurred to me that in less than two weeks I'll be awake in the middle of the night again, but this time because there's a baby that needs to be fed.
And that's when it finally seemed real. We're about to become a family of three. And I'm so excited and nervous and thankful all at the same time. And a little overwhelmed, too.
I have no idea what Chimi is going to be like. I know as an occupant of my uterus, he's very opinionated, and will let me know if I'm in a position he doesn't like. He gets the hiccups quite frequently, likes it when I have dark chocolate, and loves to ram his butt into my rib cage (when he isn't trying to wedge a foot between it and my liver, that is). But unlike when I was pregnant with Finn, I really have no sense of what his personality will be like once he's born. At first that bothered me, but now I'm looking forward to getting to know this new little boy.
A new perspective about having a child conceived from donor eggs hit me a few weeks ago, and I've worried much less about that since then, too. I've spent a lot of time worrying about how he'll feel when he's 10 or 20, knowing he's not genetically related to me. But until recently, I hadn't thought about how he'd feel it when he's 6 months, or 2 years, or 3 years old. Because of course, at that age he won't understand. Which means that he won't care. For the formative years of his young life, all he'll know is that I'm his mommy and that I love him unconditionally, with all of my heart. And once he is old enough to understand what it means to have come from donor eggs, I hope that the foundation of security in his place in my heart and our family will be so strong that it will never be something that makes him feel sad or angry. I know that the closer delivery comes, the less important the details of his conception have become to me. He's my son, and that's all that really matters. I really hope that he truly understands that, and never questions his place in my heart.
Holy shit. Ten days from now, I'll have two kids!












Great reflection on how you are feeling. I'm sure there will be tough and tiring moments, all babies bring that to us. But meeting and getting to know your new little baby boy will be so exciting, and watching Finn be such a great big brother. Oh, the best! And... I really think when your baby boy grows up to be a very big boy, he will think it is so cool what you did. All of the great lengths you went through. To have him join your loving family. So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteDon't be surprised if you often forget his conception details. My family and I forget my son isn't predisposed to my allergies, etc all the time. :)
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! I'm right with you on not having had much time to contemplate what it will really be like to have two kids, or what this new kid will be like, as a person. When we get there, we'll understand, huh?
ReplyDeleteThat's beautiful, Shannon, I love it. It feels like the web of your family is being woven.
ReplyDeleteWOW!! I can't believe it's already time! CONGRATS and can't wait to see pics of your sweet little Chimi!!!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting that Chimi is almost here! I know you will create a great foundation of love and security for him so he'll always know he's your son.
ReplyDeleteWow! I can't wait to see the little guy! Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I found it interesting to discover that you don't have to be genetically related to the child to affect him or her. I don't remember the technical details, but the mother's body (not just what she puts into it) literally alters who the child becomes. That was a nice consolation for me to know that I do have a special link to my kiddos (even it it's not a DNA match).
It has seemed like a long pregnancy, but then I can't believe it's almost over. I also want to echo what cmgr said about forgetting the conception details. I have two adopted brothers and I often forget that we don't share dna to the point when discussing a health issue of one of my brother's children I said, "well I'm not surprised it runs in the family" and someone needed to point out we didn't share genetics.
ReplyDeleteChimi is already loved and apart of your family. That is all he will know and all that matters.
For the formative years of his young life, all he'll know is that I'm his mommy and that I love him unconditionally, with all of my heart.
ReplyDeleteThat's what matters. That's what you can "control". IMHO, as long as you are honest with him as soon as he is old enough to understand, he's going to be just fine. Better than fine....a lucky, loved member of a wonderful family.
I'm so excited for you! I hope you won't spare us any details as you adjust and learn to take care of two little ones. I want very much for M to have a sibling, but I just don't know how I'd survive the early years! But women manage, somehow! Your boys are going to grow up knowing that they're so, so loved!
ReplyDeleteI only laugh at the comment above about not being pre-disposed to allergies because I'm adopted and I have the same exact allergies as my mother does. A lot is a mix of nurture and honesty. I always found it a bit of a comfort that I wasn't genetically related to my parents. My sister was always more curious about where she came from - though truthfully, I think you have more information about Chimi's origins than my parents did of mine.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the next 2 weeks and enjoy! I expect some challenges, but having a six-year-old will be less challenging than a toddler. I keep ignoring the fact that we're having a baby because the lists and uncertainty is overwhelming, but if you can work, take care of Finn and move, I can do it. Thanks for being my inspiration. *g*
Good luck, Shannon. You are going to be totally in love with your DE baby - I guarantee it! I am so excited for you and Finn and cannot wait to see him and follow your journey.
ReplyDeleteAlso what Jen mentioned above is called "epigenetics" where they say that by carrying the baby, some of the genetic qualities of the mother get into the baby (personality traits, etc) so there is a connection.
Wow, I can't believe that you are so close to having two kids!!! I'm eagerly waiting for all the details so please, share away, you know, if you have a minute to spare! What is your maternity leave going to look like? Will Nanny M be around full time? Are you "nested" for Chimi? I can't imagine trying to deal with that when you have a whole house to unpack! Good thing that newborns could care less!
ReplyDeleteI love what you say about Chimi not knowing anything about his genetic origins for his formative years. I think that's very true. And yes, he will grow up feeling loved! And you will tell him his story so that he's "always known" and i bet he will grow and thrive beautifully!
I didn't know you used donor eggs! I think that it is so wonderful that we, SMC, have the ability to have a child one way or the other. In the end, all that matters is that you are his mommy, and only you can tell him all about how active he was while you carried him.
ReplyDeleteHe is your son. Biology does not make a child your child. I think that is well established with loving adoptive parents and those parents that don't want kids or treat them horribly. It is a tough situation - but it sounds like you have a plan. Show him your unconditional love and be open about his conception. I think it is the betrayal when kids find out when they are older that they were adopted in some way - and were never told. If he grows up knowing that is what it is - and that Finn and him are brothers and you are his mummy - he will know it is normal. Good luck with the next few weeks x
ReplyDeleteEven though he may not be from your egg, it is quite possible that your DNA is now intertwined. I remembered hearing about this discovery a while ago, and your post reminded me of it. Pretty interesting:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22312-sons-dna-found-inside-mothers-brain.html
I'm so excited for you, and can't wait to hear all about Chimi and what he's like in the outside world.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love what you said about being Chimi's mom, and about the bond and security in your family. So sweet, and so true.
Enjoy these last days (well, if you can!) and rest up!
I love this post!!! Rest as much as you can over these ten days.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I have noticed from all my friends is that pregnancies resulting from fertility treatments do seem to last quite a while. I think part of it is that we know we're pregnant so early.
I'm like everyone else in that I can hardly wait to "meet" Chimi. You're a wonderful mom and Chimi and Finn are lucky to have you.
One thing I think about with my donor sperm kids is that if I didn't have them in exactly the way I did, they wouldn't be exactly the kids they are, and they are PERFECT. Same goes for Chimi! About having two-- as soon as Carys was born, it felt like she had always been there. I could remember objectively what it had been like only having one, but subjectively, in my heart, she'd always been there. I hope the week(s) until his birth are good ones, very exciting time!
ReplyDeletebeautiful. I can't wait to "meet" your beautiful new little boy!!
ReplyDeleteFunny, I feel that your pregnancy has flown by!!! I agree with Claire. Once J-bear arrived, I couldn't remember him not being with us. I am so excited for you to meet your new little man!!!
ReplyDeleteShannon, I am so happy for you! And I don't think Chimi will ever question his place in your heart. You went through a lot to bring him into your family, and that speaks volumes for how much he is wanted and how much he will be loved.
ReplyDeleteI hope arrival into this world is a very easy one for you both. XOXO, Jenny