The appointment got off to an interesting start. The doctor's receptionist came to get me, and brought me back to a conference room. "This test is going to take about an hour and a half to two hours to take..." Me: "Test, I thought I was meeting with the doctor?" Her: "No, this is where you take the personality test. If today doesn't work, you can come back and do it tomorrow." Me: "Are you sure? I really thought I was meeting with the doctor today." Her: "Maybe I have the wrong patient...aren't you here to be evaluated to be a donor?"
At 41, it's awfully flattering that she thought I was a potential donor, instead of a recipient! If only my eggs looked as young as I apparently do.
I ended up talking with Dr. G for about an hour. She asked me some questions about myself, and about how I'm handling being a single mom, how I handle stress, what sort of support I have, if I have a will...nice, easy conversation. Then she asked me about what I'm planning on telling my children, which of course is full disclosure. She had some amazingly great suggestions for telling - in a way that I had never before considered. I've told Finn his story several times lately, just to get a feel for it. He has no interest, of course, but since it's something I want him to always know, I thought this was a good idea.
She suggested being even more low key about it - if I don't make a big deal out of it, he won't, either. (She gave her suggestions based on telling about donor eggs, but it can work with donor sperm, too. ) Starting at around age 3, she suggested mentioning how, "When a mommy wants to have a baby, she needs to make sure she has plenty of eggs." And then later, as the child gets older, "When mommy decided to have another baby, she realized she was out of eggs. But she wasn't worried, she went to see a doctor who had plenty of eggs that other people had donated." She then made a suggestion that had never before crossed my mind: to avoid humanizing the donors as much as possible. Use the term donor (which I already do) and to not refer to the donor with anything like, "a really nice person" - which is exactly what I'd been wanting to do. Her reasoning makes sense - these people won't play any role in my children's life except for donating some cells. If they only think of them as just "donors" at an early age, they'll be less likely to want to know more about them, to want to have a relationship with them later, or to feel as though something is missing because they don't know their donors. Later, when my kids are older, she said it's ok to acknowledge that they were likely very nice people, but to make it clear that they were also probably getting paid to donate, as well.
She further recommended that I make sure they understand what donating means, by including them in donations of clothes and household goods to Goodwill (donating objects that we don't need to an agency that distributes them to those who do need them), or to blood donation. All of these make perfect sense to me, and feel much more natural than what I had been trying to do. The session was worth it, just for that.
I am now almost completely done with my requirements for RBA. I have to get my consents signed and notarized, and a couple more labs from my OB/Gyn forwarded to them, and then I'll be ready to choose a donor. It's just 3 weeks since I decided to go this route, I can't believe it's all moved so fast!












I like her suggestions about how to talk about it! I'll have to remember that!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I just got more out of YOUR psych consult than I did out of my own. Mine was totally annoying (I did have to take a written survey) - it was stupid, and I had thought through everything discussed. Waste of $300 for me. Then I called the psychologist and asked for a copy of the report she wrote for the RE and was refused - which I think is illegal but I didn't push it. I do understand why they require these but thought the price was way outta hand! Anyways, I do like the advice you were give. Thats kindof how I've handled it for me. We have the book "just the baby for me" which we read once in awhile, but aside from saying that's exactly how I had Fiona, the issue hasn't come up. (Fiona's friends sometimes ask why she doesn't have a dad, but I just say because I wasn't married and I had her by myself - at 3 to 4 they are satisfied with that).
ReplyDeleteI always wondered what goes on at those psych evals! Glad they're not too invasive. And thanks for passing on the advice on how to explain our children's origins to them - I am often tempted to use the word "dad" like in "donor dad", but I hear over and over again that this is NOT a good idea. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteOne more step down! Interesting points on the whole donor discussion, I will have to give the ideas some thought. Just curious, how long are they estimating you will need to wait until DE become available?
ReplyDeleteI read your blog, and I am forced to wrap my mind around all you DO, all you have WORKED for, to become a mother. And now to do it again. I take my motherhood for granted. In fact it's like a burden sometimes, (which I'm ashamed to admit on a blog like this). Your writing reminds me...I'm privledged. I need to remember that.
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly how I was planning it with J. Smart woman lol. I think we sometimes try to add more of a relationship than we should early on. I cringe when i hear 'dad' come from DC child's parent. The donors are donors and though their act obviously includes quite a bit more than blood or clothes, it's still an act of giving which is the main point. When they want to know more, they'll be ready to handle that bio connection without feeling like their missing that relationship.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this! Such a wise perspective, especially about taking the humanizing aspect out of the donor explaination early on. Makes so much sense. I also like the suggestion of making donations to have an understanding of what that means. I always thought of teaching Elena about giving but more for altruistic (SP?) reasons but this is very good reasoning too!!
ReplyDeleteHeh, I think I would have done the test without realizing something was amiss! Sounds like it was a really helpful session. Good, good luck going forward!
ReplyDeleteYay to moving ffd. You will be cycling before you know it!
ReplyDeleteI think this is great advice on how to tell. I was saying "nice man" too.
ReplyDeleteI like her suggestion to not humanizing the donor! (I do talk to my daughter about how she doesn't have a daddy [and always wonder if I'm doing it too much? too little? ...], but not yet about the donor part as I think it is too early for that. But good to know for when I do talk about it, because I think I would quiet naturally say how he was a kind good man who.... so only say donor :-) )
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great visit and love the suggestions she gave as well. Thinking and praying for you as you move forward! :)
ReplyDeleteI love the suggestions about donors.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how when you're ready things can move along quickly.
Sounds like a great visit and worth the time. It sounds like the same conversation I had at my eval for donor sperm. I follow that same advice today, never humanizing it and just keeping it rather medical. Very easy when they are so little, hopefully as they get older we still know how to handle bigger questions. We made it this far doing something right though, didn't we? :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, adorable pic of Finn on the potty!!! That one is a keeper! And way to go Finn, you are such a big boy.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got so much out of the consult! I'm really surprised that she gave you feedback and help on how to handle the donor explanation - I would have thought she would just be interested in what you thought.
ReplyDeleteYou are really moving along with this!
Love all her suggestions!
ReplyDeleteSo interesting to think about all of this. As a new SMC I know I'll always want to be honest with my daughter and talk to her about her origins, but it is interesting to know that virtually every other context in which we use the term "donor" or "donation" we are talking about something someone does without compensation. You don't donate to Goodwill or give blood in exchange for money. And legally, you can't donate an organ in exchange for money. So, it does seem a bit confusing that sperm "donors" are called "donors" when they are getting paid. Wondering now if there's another way it would make sense to characterize them altogether. Hmm. Great information and ideas though and thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWow! Things are moving along quickly! Quite exciting. :)
ReplyDeleteVery interesting suggestions about talking to the kids about donors, specifically not humanizing it too much. The opposite of what I was thinking, too, in terms of saying "a very nice man...". I gotta remember that! It does make sense, I think.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being well on your way!
Thank you for sharing the advice you got in your psych consult. I've always wondered what goes on during one of those. Very interesting to learn about not humanizing the donor. I too thought I would use terms like "a very nice man..." etc. Now I'll have to come up with other ways to answer a child's questions, if and when I get to that point.
ReplyDeleteAlso, that is very exciting that things are on track for your DE cycle. :)