Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lessons from The Doctor


I've gotten pretty good with scheduling my week - every Monday I'm filling in my calendar for the week with the tasks I need to do in the evening, and I'm (usually) sticking to it.  I'm still not getting everything done though, and I have no idea how on earth I'm going to get it all done when I start studying for boards.  Not to mention how I'll get it all done when I have two babies.  It worries me a lot.  I am so glad that I have Finn, and I desperately hope for another baby, but I'm worried about how I'm going to make it work when we become a family of three.

Right now there's usually a little time for blogging or commenting in the evening, but I'm afraid that's getting to be less and less.  Which doesn't make me happy - the support, knowledge and entertainment that I find from the blogging community has helped keep me sane.


To add to all this, a few weeks ago I discovered Doctor Who (don't tune out, this is all related, I swear!) I was looking for something on Netflix to have on in the background while I do my paperwork every night.  I'd always thought it would be something I'd like, and it turns out I was right.

At first, I would actually get work done while watching the episodes, but the more I watched, the more I was sucked into the characters, and I began to get very little work done while watching.  This is the first time since I've been back at work after maternity leave that I have found myself watching tv (or a movie) without doing something else.  At first it felt frivolous, but then it began to feel essential.

I love good stories and good storytelling - books, movies or tv, it doesn't matter.  And yet I've all but given up on them in the past year and a half.  The counselor I met for my DE cycle clearance mentioned that I needed to find time for myself.  When she said that, I thought that time with my online friends was probably enough, though I did admit that I could probably stand to have more evenings out with friends and without Finn.  But the sheer enjoyment I've found from a 43 minute episode of Dr. Who has made it pretty obvious that it's not enough.  I need to find the time to indulge in some quality tv time every week.  (Books are out, as I know I'd stay up all night reading if I started a good book!)  It seems crazy, but watching one or two episodes a week helps me feel more centered in life.  I guess it's the act of letting my mind relax and just be entertained without any other thought than the fun in the story that I've really been missing.

I really don't know how I'm going to figure this all out.  If anyone has any suggestions, please share!  I love my life...but I desperately need to figure out how to get more time in the day, and to find a little time that is just for me.

I'll end this post with pictures from our walk in the "woods" after the snow had mostly melted last weekend.  It was a wonderful hour in the chilly sunlight; I'm looking forward to more of these types of afternoons!





18 comments:

  1. If you get any answers to finding good quality time, I'm all ears too. I don't have any answers!

    I wanted to pipe in though, and say how handsome Finn looks with his new haircut. He instantly looks so big now. It looks like he loves being outside, what an absolute cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no suggestions ... I have no time for myself and I'm not even a single parent! (I do have two kids and work outside the home though!) I've given up many hobbies -- just not enough time. But my youngest is almost three and I'm getting things back. The thing I just keep telling myself -- kids are A LOT of work when younger -- but my 6 year old is literally half the work he was. It gets easier! And I the meantime -- well my house isn't clean and my career isn't booming but I'll be back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Finn really had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Another Whovian! Freaking love Dr. Who. :). I have no advice regarding balance. My life isn't nearly as busy as yours, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers good TV "me time". I get tremendous enjoyment out of good quality TV shows, and best of all I don't need a sitter to watch them. I'm glad you found a show that inspires and entertains you. I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will also check out Dr. Who. I used to be a No TV person but now, I admit, I REALLY enjoy a good show. I'm finally caught up on Downton Abbey -- love it. What I do, if it helps, is only watch on Fri and Sat nights, usually, though I will bend the "rules" if I feel like I really need a break on a weekday night. But in general, if I watch during the week, it means I don't get to catch up on blogs and emails and parenting listserves. So that works for me. And also... staying up too late is a very short sighted strategy that I work hard to avoid but do occasionally succumb to... I'm working on it.

    Are there any chores you can outsource? Can you hire someone to make and deliver your meals? Or can you pay Nanny M for some additional hours that she could use to shop and cook and do laundry? If you can afford it, i would try not to spend time on anything that anyone else can do just (or nearly) as well. Obviously you can't outsource time with your child but meal prep and clean up, or yard work... another story.

    I know you were trying to exercise... can you do this while you watch your show?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We started the Doctor Who series recently, but with a busy little one, just starting to walk we had to stop for a bit. I am looking forward to when we can rejoin the Doctor Who fanbase! :P Hope things get less hectic for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I think watching Dr. Who is okay. It's a different form of down-time than blogging or hanging out with friends. For me, interacting with humans is EXHAUSTING.

    Having two kids is hard. Crazy hard. But you'll figure out your strategies as you need to.

    I watch TV...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My issue with getting time to myself is babysitting, I don't have a lot of options in this department & have thought about hiring a babysitter but can't afford it really. So my quality me time is definitely in front of the TV after Elena goes to bed watching anything but Dora the Explorer! I have resolved to try to watch less TV in the evening & to start reading more as that is what I really miss & don't have time for.

    Hope you're able to carve out some time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Doctor Who. I'm bummed I'm all caught up on Netflix and now have to wait a long time for new episodes. It does start up next month though!!!

    Scheduling comes and goes. It's hard to have a routine and a life. Definitely a balancing act. Usually, I overschedule until I don't have funds and that helps even things out for me. Also, my inlaws would kidnap Laura if we weren't careful. They watch her a lot and ask to keep her overnight often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am facing the same challenge right now, though I work from home, all my actual work has to be done while BB sleeps, which doesn't leave much time for me to sleep, let alone relax and do something for me. I actually started reading my first novel since BB was born last night - but yes, I did have to read another charter, and another. I figure it's not forever, though I do think that right now no baby will want to grow inside this tired old body so I need to get sorted really. Good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite "me time" is when I'm at my parents' house, drinking a glass of wine and relaxing on the couch while I listen to my son play happily with grandma, grandpa and/or cousins. I enjoy my breaks more when I know he's having a good time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had some suggestions for you. Finding "Me" time is a constant struggle. I'm also a double-tasker and rarely watch tv without doing something else. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos! I'm in the same boat as you and all the other mommies. Even if we can't come up with "me time" solution, it's still good to know we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to write a post soon about my thoughts on being a SMC to two. It's freakin' hard. Worth it, yes, but harder than I had anticipated. I haven't figured out the me time, so sorry, no sage advice here. I appreciate Genie's comment, b/c I'm desperately banking on it getting easier in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that it's hard to find time for yourself especially with really little ones, but I have finally figured out that instead of sacrificing "me" time it's totally okay to sacrifice other stuff. Does that mean my house isn't always clean, or the laundry piles up, or we get food to-go and bring it home, then we do that. It makes me more sane, which makes me a better mom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shannon, I'm with Hobbs Adventure. Don't sacrifice your me-time. You'll go insane.

    But there are other things I sacrifice. I don't let myself get sucked into anything I don't want to do. No PTA. No neighborhood meetings. No parties that I don't really want to attend. And some days, I just don't do laundry either.

    For the first time in my life, I have learned to say no.

    You'll figure out how to study for your boards, and it's going to be hard, but you'll do it. And then Finn will get a little older and the new baby (I envision a little girl) will get to a point where she's not as much work and by small increments, you'll get a little more time back to yourself.

    Good luck with it all. Wishing you baby dust, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad that you are taking some time for yourself. Everyone needs to.

    ReplyDelete