Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend

For the past few days I've been working on a post about the supplements I decided to take to help improve my chances of getting pregnant - supplements that I decided on after a lot of research.  It's taking longer than I thought to write, so I thought I'd take a break and write about our Thanksgiving weekend.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at my my favorite aunt and uncle's house - my Grandmom was there, too, as well as a cousin with her new boyfriend.  Finn was shy at first, but quickly warmed up to everyone and had fun being the center of attention.  It was a wonderful evening of good food and time with some of my favorite family members.  And of course, I only took one picture the entire evening!

Finn's Second Thanksgiving
Friday we met with a friend and her adorable daughter for brunch, and then spent the afternoon with my parents and my grandmom.  My grandmom was one of my heros when I was a little girl. I wanted nothing more than to spend time with her, and we'd make up stories about what my life would be like when I grew up.  She had all sorts of dreams and stories, went hunting for worms to go fishing with, fished every weekend with my granddad, grew her own vegetables, and spent all summer canning and freezing them.  Now she takes 10 minutes to walk from the living room to the bathroom, spends most of her time in her room watching television and usually doesn't get involved in conversations more deep than the last play in the football game. It makes me sad to know that this is one of the last times I'm going to spend with her (and she was the main reason we came down for here this year), and sad that she is no longer to strong woman I once knew.  But it was wonderful to see Finn with her. He grinned at her, he hugged on her and even gave her a few kisses.  She seemed more like the woman I remembered when she interacted with him.


I love Thanksgiving.  I love the time with family and with friends, and the chance to stop for just a moment and reflect not on what is missing in my life, but the blessings I do have in my life.  It's something I don't do often enough - ok, so I think about how lucky I am to have Finn every single day, I will never forget to be thankful for that amazing blessing.  But the other stuff is easy to forget until Thanksgiving comes along.

I am so thankful I managed to get a plane ticket to come down this weekend to spend time with my family.  I'm thankful for the childhood memories my grandmom gave me.  I'm thankful for a delicious meal with my family. I'm thankful for my mom's pecan pie.  I'm thankful for stretchy pants, and a diet that let me lose three pounds last week...three pounds that I'm sure I put back on this weekend.  I'm thankful that today is CD2, and I'm a month closer to my next try for baby #2.

I'm thankful for parents who adore my son, who love spending time with him, and who are smart enough to live somewhere that allows us to spend an afternoon at the beach in November.



10 comments:

  1. So glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love the look of that beach--very pretty. Especially on a late November day :)

    I love my memories of my grandmas too. One passed away two years ago, and the other I'm slowly losing to Alzhe.imer's. I had to work on turkey day, but heard that she had forgot my aunt and uncle were staying with her. That she had said she hadn't seen them, even though she did within twenty minutes before arriving at another aunt and uncles for turkey day. She cried upon learning that they were in fact there and she had just been talking to them. One of my younger (early 20s) cousins then took to the kitchen to cry/mourn this news of our loving grandma :(
    I very much feel you on the spending time with grandma/grandmom. So happy that she and Finn could enjoy some time together and give you a glimpse of grandmom the way you know her! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with her, as I'm sure she did with you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you had a wonderful weekend. I am also so glad that Finn is having a chance to spend time with family and that you do take pictures of him with family. When those special family members are no longer with you, you can show Finn the pictures and not only talk about the people they were when you were young but also how much they loved and enjoyed Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures on the beach are just precious Shannon! How blessed are we? :)

    The other day I sat Tate down to watch Finn's latest videos from your blog. He was thrilled to see his computer friend, Baby Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy turkey day! (belated) Love the pics of the two of you on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful time. It is hard seeing our grandparents get older isn't it?

    I'm looking forward to the supplement post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to be thankful for. I can relate to your words about your. Grandmom. So special to see your own child play with your grandparent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!! Your grandmom sounds really special. Glad Finn got some time with her this Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thankful for you and Finn doodle. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice that Finn's getting to know your grandmom, even if it's as she's getting older. All of my grandparents are gone, so my little one will never know any of them. She's named after them, though! So glad you had a nice weekend - LOVE the pics on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post!! Elsie got to spend time with her great-grandmother over Thanksgiving as well. Unfortunately I am not as good as you and didn't get a photo together.

    ReplyDelete