Monday, November 19, 2012

Appointment Recap

Today's appointment with my RE went fairly well - he answered most of my questions before I even got to them, and spent 45 minutes with me, making sure we'd covered everything (though I still forgot to ask him about the Crinone, even after taking my list with me).  The plan that we came up with isn't exactly what I anticipated, but I think I'm comfortable with it.

We're going to do one more IUI with my cycle that will be starting about 4 or so weeks from now. Same protocol as before (and when I asked if they cycled over the holidays, he looked at me like I was crazy, "Of course!")

If that doesn't work, we're going to try IVF, doing a Lupron microflare protocol.  He has been using growth hormone with this protocol, and thinks it has helped improve success rates.  It's his opinion that adding the growth hormone gives IVF an advantage over IUI.  He doesn't anticipate me getting more than 5 eggs, and has told me (as I already know) that I shouldn't expect them all to fertilize.  Smart man, making sure expectations are realistic from the beginning.

He was completely willing to let me do as many IUIs as I want to do, but said that his gut feeling was that after 2-3 IUIs, I should try something different.  He gave me several articles (particularly about using growth hormone with IVF), and was fine with letting me take as long as I needed to made a decision.  After how disappointed I was with his nurses a few weeks ago, it was nice to be reminded why I like my RE so much.

This appointment counted as my IVF consult, so, if my next IUI doesn't work, I'm to call his IVF coordinator, and get started with birth control pills, and go from there.  It feels good to have a plan.

12 comments:

  1. Indeed, sounds like a plan for Shannon 2.0! Very interesting about the growth hormone. It's sad to think about all the amazing technology we're going to miss out on in the next fifty years or so - but then I think of the childless octogenarians I know and feel very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have a plan and that for the most part you feel comfortable with it. Nice that he spent the time with you and got (most of) your questions answered and that it redeemed them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did he make any comment / apology about his nurses or policy regarding sperm being on site?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very good plan...very glad for you that you got your answers & feeling good about your RE again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your next cycle and here's to hoping that you don't need to make a call about IVF. But, if you do, it's nice to have a plan in place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you're happy with the meeting and your RE's take on things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a reasonable plan. I used the growth hormone (Saiz.en) in 3 of my 4 IVF cycles... remember the 3rd got cancelled/converted to IUI... I do think it helped with the quality of the embryos produced. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your RE's honesty. Good for him! And good for you for planning ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good plan and I'm so glad you went prepared and got almost all of your questions answered! Yay for a great doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He sounds great spending so much time with you. Did you mention the sperm on site policy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this all sounds good. I hope the next IUI is the ticket, but it's good to have a plan B mapped out clearly in advance. I decided to flag further IUIs and go straight for the ICSI step with my new donor...if all goes well I'll start a long cycle the week before xmas. They are not using GH here (yet) for ART but what I've read about it does sound promising. Let's hope we are both successful this time! xx

    ReplyDelete