That doesn't help the fact that I'm still overworked right now. But least I feel like there's some hope. And so I have to figure out some way to make it through the next few months, sanity intact.
I've really been neglecting myself - I eat Peeps and Krispy Kreme donuts at work (can you believe I'm a diabetes doctor?) I rarely exercise. I have organic fruits and veggies delivered to my house every two weeks, but I let the nanny and Finn eat them all while I have cereal for dinner. I love to read, and yet I'm still reading the same book that I started back in September (Tina Fey's Bossypants, if you're wondering, and it's fabulous, at least the first half of it is). I don't get enough sleep. My taxes are undone, my bills are overdue and I'm way behind at work - I just can't figure out a way to balance it.
So I'm going to start with little things. I hope that putting it down here makes it more likely that I'll actually stick to it! I'm going to get back to walking with Finn at least 4 days a week. This afternoon I strapped him in the Beco carrier (he's graduated to being carried on my back!) and we went for a 40 minute walk after work. I felt great and he loved it. I'm going to go back to trying to get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. And (after tonight) I'm going to go upstairs to bed by 10:30 every night.
I can do all those without causing myself too much stress, right? These things should help me manage the stress, I think. And if they don't, there's always my little man to make me smile.












The laughing is hysterical.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad work is starting to listen, it will make things easier.
Oh he's getting so big! How could anyone resist that adorable laugh. That's gotta be the best stress reliever ever. I am glad things are looking up a bit at work (that is also a good stress reducer).
ReplyDeleteHe has the best laugh. I'm glad work seems to be listening and making some changes. Take care of yourself so you don't get too run down.
ReplyDeleteWhat I've done as a short term catch up strategy (when LG was around 3?) was hire a babysitter for a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon. She loved the extra playtime, and I could go into the week feeling like I was sort of on top of things...
ReplyDeleteFinn is so cute!
Love how he is giggling!!
ReplyDeletegood to hear they listened to you, would have been nicer if it was effective immediately..
And good for you for deciding to look after yourself!
P.S - I have never managed to do the switch to back carrying, although the few times I did succeed in carrying Butterfly on the back, it was much better for the back! I just wasn't successful in learning how to do it.. [I don't carry her anymore in the sling].
Glad there is an improvement with work. I understand the trying to keep things balanced. It sounds like you have a good plan. I found that taking daily walks with Annelise, even if it is just around the block really helps me.
ReplyDeleteHe has the cutest laugh :-) And is adorable as always.
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear about the changes at work. Hopefully getting the weekend off will help you get some rest and more caught up. And glad you are getting back to exercsing and eating healthy.
I'm glad that there is a possibility for a little bit of relief. I hope that they come around for pay increases as well. Love Finn's giggles!!
ReplyDeleteAw, he is such a photogenic little boy!
ReplyDeleteGlad things aren't as soul-crushing at work.
I loved Tina Fey's Bossypants. If you have a chance, I also recommend Mindy Kaling's book, too. To finish out the NBC funny lady tour, I may read Rachel Dratch's book, too. Too bad Amy Poehler doesn't have one. :)
Those changes at work sound really helpful. Of course, who knows how big a pay increase it'll end up being, but feeling like they're finally listening is huge.
ReplyDeleteBut Shannon, you've got to take care of yourself! You are totally the one who motivated me to start exercising last year - did you read my blog post about that? You can eat Lean Cuisines or something if you don't have time to cook healthy. Or at least fruit (I hate fruit. I always feel like it's lecturing me. But most people like it, and it doesn't require prep time).
Anyway, glad to hear things are a little better.
So glad to hear that the admin. are finally listening a little bit, hopefully it is just a start!
ReplyDeleteSounds like some positive things are happening and you are making others happen. Good for you! I got a small chuckle when you talked about eating the Peeps and donuts because honestly, I've never seen people who want to eat junk food more than the doctors I work with. Today was a prime example where B - who is very skinny and toned and athletic (and one of our sports docs so she should be!) - discovered the Coconut Creme Hershey's Kisses I have in my candy bowl on the desk. I'm telling you, she ate one and the look on her face was such pure joy. She was giddy. Of course, she can stop at 1 or maybe 2 and I would love to stuff my face with about 25 of them!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear that there is hope in your work life. That's great!
ReplyDeleteFinn's laughing made me laugh!! Love it!!
~SL
omg that laugh is AMAZING!!! it made me laugh out loud several times!!!
ReplyDeletewhat a love you've got!!!
That is the BEST video ever! I've found that if I can cook two things from scratch each week it gets me through - the past few weeks for me it's been spiced black beans and mixed vegetable curry with brown rice- about 4-6 servings in each recipe -then I have something healthy to just warm up in the microwave when I'm hungry during the week. Otherwise, yeah, it's often a bowl of cereal for me too. It's just impossible to do it "all" - for me I just haven't been able to fit weekday exercise into my schedule - maybe summer weather will motivate me a bit more. Glad to hear about the impending job changes and hope things continue to improve!
ReplyDeleteDon't feel so guilty for skipping exercising and eating peeps my friend, raising a toddler is sheer exhaustion!!
ReplyDeleteRemember when it was possible to finish a book in one week? I miss books, I really do. (But I wouldn't trade my family for an entire library.) I'm going to put the Tina Fey book on my reading list. Maybe I'll get to it by Thanksgiving or so. (That's probably too optimistic!)
ReplyDeleteLove the giggle! Funny that you said how fabulous Tina Fey's book was. I didn't love it at all. In fact I easily put it aside to read some others and then came back to it b/c it was due at the library.
ReplyDeleteI hate that I can't watch videos on my iTouch! I'll have to log onto my computer! I know Elena will love to see another video of Finn!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad work is going better but more importantly I'm glad you're making yourself a priority! Elena & I will be starting our evening walks again now that the weather is getting nicer. It's such a nice way to reconnect after a long day!
Yup, I was right, Elena loved it! Finn's laugh is hilarious!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad she liked it! Someday we'll get them together so they can make each other laugh in person!
Delete