Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Crafty Boy

Finn spent the day today with Ashley, my former nurse turned stay-at-home-mom.  He had a fun day, and came home with his first ever craft project!


If I ever had a doubt about whether the nanny thing was the right thing for me, just trying to get everything together for Finn this morning, and then getting us out of the house on time was enough to convince me that I made the right decision.  Those of you out there who are taking your kids (and bottles and everything else) to daycare every day - you're amazing!  

I was so worried about throwing off Finn's schedule and leaving him with someone he doesn't really know, and stressed about imposing on someone to help out because Nanny M couldn't make it today (perhaps the biggest drawback of having a nanny), but it all worked out fine. It has made it more obvious that I need to live closer to someone who I can count on to help out if I have another day where I need help with Finn.  Nanny M gave me enough notice that I was able to find someone I trusted to help me, but if she were to be out unexpectedly, I'm 30-45 minutes away from anyone who might be able to fill in for her.  

I'd really been struggling with the best place to rent a home would be.  I currently live in the middle of the metro area I live in.  I work in a small town 25 minutes west of me, LB lives 30 minutes north of me and my sister lives 35 minutes south of where I am.  Anywhere I can afford to rent a house puts me closer to one of the three but that much further away from the rest.  I'd finally decided on an area that puts me 35 minutes away from work, 10 minutes from LB and 45 minutes from my sister.  I hate the thought of being that far away from J, but being that close to LB (a stay at home mom) is clearly the best choice.  

Luckily, Nanny M is back on the job tomorrow.  And I should be doing work right now, myself.  But instead, I'm going to go read some blogs and then maybe go to bed before midnight for a change. 

20 minutes later:  Well, crap.  I totally just jinxed myself.  Nanny M just texted me that she thinks she has a stomach bug.  Today's day off was planned and so I was able to prepare for it. If she's really sick and out tomorrow, it's going to suck ass.  I really want to just call in sick myself.  I have absolutely no vacation time, and no where to put patients for weeks and weeks if I don't go in tomorrow, but it's so tempting to say "fuck it" - I work my ass off and get paid less than I should, let someone else deal with it.

8 comments:

  1. oh no -- I can only imagine how stressful all this last minute scheduling is. Hope Nanny M feels better in the morning so it does not throw you in a loop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go with plan "fuck it" if you have to... No sense getting totally stressed and frustrated over trying to find someone last minute. Your practice WILL be ok without you for a day (or even two!). Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... your first artwork (and flowers) from Finn! How sweet! I'm sorry you're in a bind. I'm sure you worked it out, one way or another...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Nanny M was ok today and everything is back on track for everyone. Your last line makes me think that is what my boss was actually thinking during a conversation we just had. We were dealing with scheduling and I wasn't going to put him into patient care without his ok and what I got was clearly a NOT ok, but I'm pretty sure he was thinking what you said even though he was nicer about it. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh crap, I HATE when my schedule gets thrown for a loop like that due to the unexpected!! I like the fuck it plan…we all need those now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome craft project. I say call in sick. I usually don't either, but so many people take as many sick days as possible. I'm sure it's excusible one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great craft! So cute...hope things worked out with Nanny M...

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the big disadvantages of a nanny.. My nanny's mother had died, which meant that my nanny was away for a week and I had no one to replace her. That sucked big time (and yes, I was sorry for her loss).

    ReplyDelete