Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sadness

Joey died this morning.

There are things that aren't ever supposed to happen. A child dying is one of them.


I will never forget that moment on the phone, sitting in the hospital room rocking my little boy who was still out of sorts from the anesthesia, hearing that they had found a tumor. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as my breath caught and my mind raced, imagining all the potentially horrible things to come.

Every night as I cuddle with Finn now, I'm filled with love for him, and thankfulness that he is managing to fight off this horrible disease, and that he's been able to do it so far without chemo or radiation treatments.  I am so unbelievably thankful.  I will always worry - not just the normal nebulous mommy worry that every mom has, but that specific fear of what might happen because of this tumor. The fear born out of the reality of hearing your son has cancer. And while I can't possibly begin to know what it's like to deal with the disease the way that Joey's parents have, I think I can come closer to imagining it now, having experienced that afternoon in August and the terrifying weeks that followed.

There is no way to make sense of this sort of thing.  I've said before that I used to think that "bad things happen for a reason." But what reason could there be for a little boy who loved Legos and Star Wars to die?  What reason is there for a 3 month old to be diagnosed with cancer?  What reason is there for a baby to be born still at 20 weeks?  Or for a woman to have miscarriage after miscarriage - or never be able to get pregnant at all?  There is no reason that is good enough to explain these things, or the other bad and horrible things that happen.  If only there were words that existed to make the hurt go away, to make things right when they go so horribly wrong.

Last week Joey's mom posted something on their Caring Bridge site that was beautiful and heartbreaking. I haven't been able to stop thinking of it this week, so I'm sharing it here, in memory of a beautiful little boy I only knew in passing, and in honor of his family.


Lullabies and a rocking chair have been a special part of our days together since we brought Joey home from the hospital in May of 2006.  Sitting in the glider, all sleep deprived and overwhelmed, I would cradle him in my arms and together we would fall fast into sweet sleep.  These last weeks have been deeply reminiscent of those early days as I hold him in my arms and rock, a familiar music playing in the background.  Just as he did nearly 7 years ago, Joey drifts into the land of little boy dreams while I stare and take in the face of my sweet boy. 


The days have started to meld together, each one mingling the familiar- a glimpse of his sweet smile, a short burst of energy- with the uncharted- increased pain and difficult conversations.  These are hard days.  These are treasured days.  These are days in which I cannot make sense of the pain and the heartache.  And these are days that are teaching my heart to trust in a new way.
  
Frankly, I hate where we are in this journey.  My mother’s heart longs to have Joey near for years piled upon years.  When I allow myself to imagine my days without him, I am overcome by heartbreak so strong I feel as though I am being swallowed up by darkness.  My faith in an eternal Hope is a Constant Companion and Friend but even during times of great sadness, companions and friends stand in the background and allow the grieving heart to do simply that, grieve. 


15 comments:

  1. My heart aches for Joey's family, for you having to worry for Finn, for all mothers who lose their children too early. I agree that there is no good reasons for these things to happen, none at all...it has resulted in me never taking for granted what I have.

    Your post is so eloquent & thank you for sharing Joey's Mom's words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How horribly sad! I will be saying a prayer for Joey tonight and for his parents who have had to face such an unimaginable loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just so sad and sick, and very, very sorry to hear this news. I just think of his parents, trying to go to sleep tonight, and my heart breaks for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so very sorry. It is so not fair. Not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to imagine that these things happen, but of course they do. I can't even fathom what that must be like - it hurts to even think about it, so I try not to very much. Thankfully Finn is doing so well and the two of you should never have to go down that path yourselves.

    I know that thinking that everything happens for a reason helps some people get through bad times, but I can't say that I've ever felt that way. Truly horrible stuff happens to wonderful people all the time, and there's no rhyme or reason for it. We just have to be thankful that we are not going through something like that ourselves and hope that if we ever do, we have the strength and support to get us through. Life is precious and beautiful, not matter how short or long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post. It is too too sad. I imagine that there is nothing worse in life than losing a child - perhaps only the fear of losing one. Sadly lots of things seem to happen without good reason in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just so sorry and my heartbreaks. Sending all my love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to read this. Even though I didn't have the honour of knowing Joey, I am heartbroken that he didn't get the years that he deserved. You're right: things like this shouldn't happen and there is no good reason for them. His family is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no words. I feel physical pain thinking of this. It's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry, it is crushing just to think about what Joey's parents are going through now, let alone having to experience such an emotion yourself.

    And yeah, while many crappy things can be explained away by the 'it happened for the best' explanation and it often bears out too, there is no bloody way it can be applied to a situation like this.

    I take some solace from the fact that Joey atleast is at peace, but my heart simply breaks for his family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes my heart hurt. And you're right...there's no reason. I've learned that myself. Tonight I'm thinking of Joey's family. They're in my prayers.

    ~SL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tears,tears, and more tears. My heart aches for Joey's family. May he rest in peace, pain-free in the place of little boy dreams. Thinking about you and Finn. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to read this. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart is breaking for his family. Many prayers to Joey's family.

    ReplyDelete