He had over two years of clear scans, and then, in 2010, scans showed he'd relapsed. This week, his parents learned that his cancer has progressed again, and were told that they could consider one more round of chemo, but it would only be prolonging the inevitable.
How can a parent face a decision like that? And how does a parent explain this to their children, his friends, his sisters?
Children aren't supposed to die before their parents. Even before becoming a parent, we all know that to be true. I'm pretty sure that once becoming a parent, it's normal to feel the loss, or impending loss, of a child even more strongly. But I cannot believe how much this has upset me. I haven't cried like this since those first nights in the hospital last August, and I don't really know Joey or his parents. I guess this just brings home that underlying fear that one of Finn's scans will show something bad.
Finn's cancer is totally different - they might as well be called different things, since the behavior of his cancer is/has been so different from that of someone who is older when diagnosed. But they aren't called different things. And so while I'm crying for Joey and his parents, I'm also crying for my own fear for Finn.
This week I got in the mail a schedule of all of Finn's planned MRIs. He's going to get every 3 month MRIs through July, then it's going to go to every 6 months for a few years before changing to scans once a year until he's 7 years old. Joey never made it out of the every 3 months schedule. His cancer is that different.
Please say a little prayer for Joey and his family tonight. I can't imagine how they're facing what they know is coming in the days ahead, and my heart breaks for them.












How very sad. I will say a prayer for Joey tonight.
ReplyDeleteSomething like this leaves everybody around just feeling broken and helpless, I'm so sorry for Joey and his parents.
ReplyDeleteAnd as for Finn, as my mom says, there is no point in borrowing trouble thinking of the things that could go wrong, but you should try to hold on to fact that these two tumors are very different. I mean, his was wholly necrotic when they took it out, which is something pretty darned amazing. His immune system was probably kicking the shit out of that thing, which makes his case unique amongst cancer patients, where their immune system fails them, which is a big part of the reason why their cancer establishes. But I can totally get why you are so upset. I would be too. I'm so sorry, Shannon.
It hits too close to home for you. Joey and his family, and you and Finn will be in my thoughts.
ReplyDeletePraying for a miracle for Joey, and that you and Finn get to that once a year stage quickly.
ReplyDeleteNo fancy words tonight= Cancer does suck and even more when it hits kids.
ReplyDeleteJoey will be definitely be in my prayers. Children should never have to go through this sort of thing.
ReplyDeleteI will pray for them.
ReplyDeleteA couple months after Fiona's hospitilization, I got back in touch with a good friend from high school. I mentioned Fiona's illness and her response was "we know about health problems too." Her oldest son Noah had fought a rare form of leukemia since he was 2 years old. He died last May, 6 years old. Why did my child live and Annie's child die? No answers.
When Fiona was at her sickest and I thought I was going to lose her, I felt such terror, despair, and helplessness. Those emotions are still inside me, and I'm not sure there is any way to get rid of them. And from time to time they get stirred up. So I can understand why this affects you so strongly.
I'm so terribly sorry for this family. I hope they find peace.
This made me glance at my sleeping boy and breathe a prayer of sincere thanks for his health. I can not imagine. I will also send up an extra prayer for Joey and his family tonight.
ReplyDeletePrayers are going out for Joey and his family. Extra prayers (including those of thanks) for Finn and you!!
ReplyDeletePrayers and thoughts going out to his family. I can't imagine what they must be going through.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts are with Joey and his family. I also cannot imagine what they (and you) are going through. Yes, cancer sucks.
ReplyDeleteCancer does suck! Keeping Joey & his family in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteToo sad. This really hits so close to your home. Makes me pull Scarlett a little closer to me, even while she's pushing me away.
ReplyDeleteThat is truly just heartbreaking. I will say a prayer for Joey and his family. I can't even imagine. Fucking cancer. Love you and Finn!
ReplyDelete~SL
Prayers going up for Joey and Finn!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for Joey's family. I'm sorry that cancer will be a shadow over your beautiful life with Finn. I wish that there was a way to make all the horrible things go away, so these worries would be nonexistent. Love you and Finn!
ReplyDeleteGabby