Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rambling Post

At the pumpkin patch
It wasn't Finn's cancer diagnosis that made me wish I was doing this with a partner - it's trying to deal with the continued craziness that several unexpected weeks away from work has left me that has me wishing I had a partner.  I could really use just about 5 hours of uninterrupted time for paperwork - that would make my work life so much easier right now.  Just 5 hours.  But it's not going to happen - unless I'm willing to pay my nanny to help me out, and since I had to pay her extra tonight for an unplanned late night at work, and possibly for this weekend while I'm making rounds at the hospital, that's really not going to happen. If I'm going to pay her for extra time watching Finn, it's going to be for me to do something like getting a massage or going to a movie.  I'm going to have to adjust to the idea that work will sometimes just have to wait.

The run of the mill, day to day life as a single parent is hard, too.  I remember thinking about things like dinner meetings and late days at the office before Finn was born and wondering how'd I'd do it.  I knew it would end up being expensive, but I never thought about how much coordination would be involved, or how much I'd miss him when I was away.  I still haven't gotten used to the idea that I have to always think about someone else now when I make any plans, and that I will have to continue to do so for many years to come.  It would be nice to have someone else that I could count on to share that burden.

But then someone who is married says to me, "I just don't know how you do it, I can't imagine parenting alone, it's so hard," and I realize, it's all about what you know.  Yes, it's hard being a single mom.  But being a married mom is hard, too.  I'm really not sure I'd feel like things were any easier if I had a husband doing this along with me, because I wouldn't know anything else. And no matter what, the rewards make it all worthwhile.  There is nothing in the world like coming home and having that little face light up when I walk in the room.  Every time I cuddle with my boy, I realize I am truly blessed.

And I am lucky enough to have my sister and her family close by to share things with.  I love that the cousins will grow up playing together and knowing each other well.  D, the oldest, has plans of thing he's going to teach Oliver and Finn, and loves playing the big brother/cousin role.  This weekend we went to a local farm for the afternoon; it was a beautiful warm fall day and we so much fun.  At one point, we all got drinks and snacks and went over to a secluded picnic table to eat, and when we sat down I realized Finn was hungry.  I asked Finn if he wanted to eat, and D responded for him:  "Everyone is going to see your boobie!" There's nothing like a 4 year old boy.  Except maybe a 40 year old boy.
Three boys in one shot - I gave up trying to get them to all look at me! 
Finn
Finn's next MRI is this Thursday morning.  We have his MRI at 7, then an ultrasound of his abdomen at the oncology office followed by an appointment with the oncologist.  I'm a jumble of crazy emotions right now - hopeful, scared, sad, anxious - I can't wait until Thursday is over.  

13 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you! I'll be praying for nothing but good news & results on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK on Thursday!!! Sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I've found myself wishing for a partner just to get through the pregnancy. It would be so nice to be able to call someone and say "on the way home can you pick up..." instead of pulling myself together to run to the store for something I need. I know I'm probably going to think that twice as much as soon as the baby's here.

    Good Luck Thursday. Will be thinking of you and hoping for good results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is such a cutie!!
    I find it kind of funny when people tell me they don't know how I do it as a single mom, what else am I going to do? And then I hear (or read) about some complaining because their partner doesn't do xyz and they have to do it all, I think that would bother me more. At least now I do it all, and how can I complain? I'd be more upset about someone else not pulling their weight I think.
    Good luck Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with the tests - it is clear you are doing a fabulous job juggling all the pieces of a life together - My feeling is that for the most part a partner does make things logistically a whole lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd agree that for me the most challenging/stressful part of single parenting--even with a 7-year-old--continues to be negotiating after-hours work events and generally feeling trapped in the house post bedtime. When LG was about 3 I started getting a babysitter for a few hours on Sunday afternoons so I could get some extra work done and go into the week feeling balanced. That helped my stress level enormously...well worth the ~$20. As she's aged, weekend playdates have taken the place of paid babysitters. You'll find what works for you as Finn grows.

    Wishing you the best on Thurs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear an update! I think you have a good point that a lot of it is about what you know. I have a husband who works every weekend, and comes home after 9 on weenights. I often envy the women whose husbands go with them apple picking, or to the playground, etc. But those women also think parentings is hard, I'm sure. And maybe they have other difficulties I don't?

    Best of luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finn looks adorable is his pumpkin-y orange hat. :)

    I'll be sending lots of prayers Finn's way for good results tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree that it is all about what you know and how you deal with what you have to do. It's like the argument that working moms or stay at home moms have it easier/harder. Could you trade babysitting favors with friends who have kids? That has worked well for us so that we can save some money on babysitters (or in your case the nanny having to stay late).

    Keeping you in my thoughts for tomorrow! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, goodness, your nephews are such big boys! I haven't seen pictures of them in awhile, I guess. Growing so quickly!

    I think it is all what you know. Being married is a little easier but it still takes coordination, but we've always had only one car so we're used to negotiation. We're also lucky because we rarely socialize together out of the house so it gives us a lot of friend time.

    I agree completely that it is wonderful that cousins grow up together. Little Miss is very close with both her cousins whereas I never had that bond being that my cousins lived far away and were 20 years younger.

    Good luck to Finn with his upcoming tests! I know he'll continue to be the rock star that he is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thursday will be here soon. I will pray for Finn. You are such a wonderful mom..

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right being a single mom is hard, married mom is hard...being a parent is hard but oh, those bright smiles make it worth it.

    Will be thinking of you & Finn tomorrow & hoping for good news...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow morning. I hope its all good news.

    ReplyDelete