Two weeks ago, I took Vagus to the vet to get his claw removed from the pad of his foot, and while he was there, the vet found a new heart murmur. His paw is fully healed now, but, based on last week's echocardiogram, he has mild heart failure. And based on his blood and urine tests, he has early kidney failure, too. He's 16 years old, so it's not a shocker, but it does make me sad. For now he's on a tiny dose of a blood pressure medication, and he has to go back in 6 months for an echocardiogram. Serial MRIs for Finn and serial echocardiograms for Vagus. Healthcare around here is a lot more complicated (and expensive) than I ever anticipated!
![]() |
| Vagus |














Oh, Shannon. I'm so sorry to hear about Vagus. I hope the medication helps.
ReplyDeleteFinn is so unbelievably cute! Certainly doesn't look like a baby who's had cancer. I've had trouble commenting so can't remember... but it's wonderful that all his latest tests have gone so well.
Wishing the three of you all the best!
I've always thought two different eye colors is so interesting. In fact, during my senior year of high school, the girl voted "best eyes" had one brown and one blue eye. The best part though, is that he is doing so well!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that with your love and support behind him, Finn probably won't even think much about having two eye colors. As for Vagus, I hope the meds help. I am another petparent who will do whatever is necessary to keep my babies in good health.
ReplyDeleteAdorable photos of your two babies...this may come across as sexist but I think Finn will do better about his eye than if he were a girl...I think it gives him character.
ReplyDeleteFinn is absolutely gorgeous and his eyes just make him more special.
ReplyDeleteI've been boycotting the vet with my 13 yr old lab. They'd probably suggest a bunch of expensive blood tests and then they'd say his kidneys and maybe a few other organs are failing. And I'd say, "yup, he's almost 14 years old, and I just paid how much to hear you say that?!"
I love my dog like a child (well, I think?... at least for now I do!), and I'd do anything for her. So, I really hope the meds help Vagus. Love the name, BTW!
ReplyDeleteAnd Finn just keeps getting cuter! I like the different colored eyes - gives him character! (not that he needs it!)
Sorry for even more medical complications and expenses. While I can only imagine dealing with Finn's cancer (and I am so glad things are looking so good!), I can related to the aging pet. I have three dogs. The oldest is 15. He is slowly going deaf and blind and has a now has a heart murmur (like Vagus) that gets louder and louder.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for all three of you!!
I can relate about Vagus. Our dog, Buddy, has congestive heart failure too. He's on tons of medications but at least he's not coughing or lethargic right now.
ReplyDeleteI think that having two different eye colours is very neat, what a conversation starter as he gets older :) Like you said, hopefully all of this is the worst thing to be left with and that the cancer will disappear completely :)
Sorry to hear about Vegas.
ReplyDeleteFinn is adorable no matter what.
ReplyDelete