![]() |
| Happy on the downstairs playmat |
He's changing so much - he looks huge compared to his pictures from just 7 weeks ago, and every day he does something different. Three weeks ago, I put him on his playmats and he had no interest. Now he bats at the toys that hang down, stares at his reflection in the mirror with fascination, and can be entertained by the flashing lights on one of them for a good 15 minutes. He still eats every two hours most of the time, but at least once a night he goes 3 hours between feeding, and rarely is awake for any longer that it takes for him to eat. He loves it when I sing to him, but it's the vacuum cleaner or the recording of a hair dryer that calms him down when he's crying because he's fighting sleep. He smiles, and squeals and coos when he's happy, and he absolutely loves having his diaper changed. And, in the course of 1 1/2 weeks he outgrew tons of clothes, and suddenly fit into outfits he was swimming in just days earlier.
My friend Jennie was here with us for two weeks, and while it was wonderful to have her help, the very best part was having someone here to share the little milestones with as they happen. I didn't realize that it's not quite the same, calling someone or sending them a text to tell them when Finn does something new and amazing, as it is to share it with someone in the room watching it happen with me. This is a drawback to being a single mom that I never anticipated. I also never anticipated how amazing it would feel to have my friends love my little boy - I hope I can raise him to be the sort of toddler and child that my friends will continue to love spending time with.
It's amazing - motherhood is all I imagined it to be and even more that I ever dreamed.
While Jennie was here we did get all sorts of practical things done. She single-handedly cleaned out my storage closet - I'd started to clean it out while pregnant, and got rid of tons of stuff, but lost steam about halfway through and so it was still pretty much a disaster. She forced me to be ruthless at getting rid of things, and then rearranged everything herself (it took HOURS) and I now have 12 empty shelves - suddenly my horrible storage problem has gotten much better. She entertained Finn while I organized the shelves and cabinets in my nursery, and together we came up with a plan for the kitchen and living room cabinets. I might not be ready to go back to work, but at least my apartment is just about ready.













You know of course that we want to hear everything Finn does. I'm glad you had such a great visit with jennie and that she was "ruthless" about helping get rid of things. You know that you are going to need the space. Enjoy every day with your little man.
ReplyDeleteFinn looks so cute---I can't believe how much he's grown in 7 weeks! Jennie sounds like a gem.
ReplyDeleteGo Jennie go!! I'm glad you both were able to accomplish some things to eliminate some of your issues and concerns.
ReplyDeleteI think the people in your life who love Finn will love him no matter what. That was my experience with my nieces when they were little. Whining and misbehaving did not bother me because they were "my" kids and I had that love and attachment. A few years ago a friend's little boy hit me on the back - she told him to go give me a hug goodbye and for Adam, that was a hug, LOL - and she was mortified. I was laughing because he was 3 and I figured that was the cutest guy who had ever hit on me.
Everyone should have a Jennie! If she every pops by British Columbia, I have closet that needs culling. Perhaps she should get a job on "Hoarders." ;)
ReplyDeleteFinn is so adorable. I just want to eat his cheeks!
Things are going to continue to get better with Finn sleeping at night...it was after 7 weeks when Elena did & it started with those 3 hour stretches & only waking to feed.
ReplyDeleteIt is so heartwarming to read how much you're enjoying motherhood!
This is a great post. It makes me happy reading it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a little cutie!!!! I'm glad you are enjoying motherhood. I'm glad that you have friends who enjoy being part of your family's life :)
ReplyDeleteI have a hard time believing Foxie is mine too. Finn is such a cutie and I am so glad motherhood is everything you wanted it to be.
ReplyDeleteHis chubby cheeks just kill me! Too.Dang.Cute!Its really awesome that your friends have been able to stay a while and help out and revel in all that is Finn and his accomplishments with you. That is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteJennie is such a great friend; and I love that she cleaned out that closet!!
ReplyDeleteI find that not having someone to share milestones, experiences, funny moments, etc, with is a huge drawback to single parenting. It makes me really wish for family local too - seems like doting grandparents would be the next best thing to a spouse. This is one reason why I blog- I get sooo much out of sharing my girl with friends and family through the blog. And it has definitely helped friends and family feel closer to Fiona. So keep blogging, and we will keep reading very happily! And on that note, I have to say that Finn is such a CHUNK A MONK! Too cute - and he always seems to have this sly littel smile. You are blessed!!
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds soooooooo nice. Organization makes my heart sing, lol. Glad you could feel more on top of things at home!! I adore all the pictures of Finn, so cute!
ReplyDeleteHe's adorable!
ReplyDelete