Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Days with the Nanny

2 monthsIt's only 4 days until I go back to work, and my nanny (M) started work on Monday.  She was here for a few hours on Monday, just learning where everything is in my apartment, and getting to know Finn.  She then went with me to his 2 month pediatrician appointment, where he weighed in at 15.2 pounds.  I still can't figure out how I managed to grow such a big baby!  Our first day was nice - she was obviously comfortable with Finn and he seemed completely comfortable and happy with her.

But the real test was yesterday, when I had to go to training at work and was gone from 5pm-9pm, which is the longest I've been away from Finn since he was born.  Ok, it's only the second time I've been away from him since he was born, and the first time I left him with my mom.  For 45 minutes.  So yesterday was a big deal.  Did I mention that Finn hadn't taken a bottle yet?

But I need to back up just a bit here, because I never got around to blogging about an important player in the rest of the story - my nanny cameras.  I never thought I'd get them, but then Jennie told me I have to, and she showed me the cameras she has around her house - and how she can log in to them from her computer and see what's going on at her house whenever she wants.  That's when I realized how nice it would be to be able to check in, just to see how things were going.  It doesn't hurt that Jennie's husband is a home automation specialist, and knew the best (inexpensive) cameras to get, and was willing to install them for me.  At my interviews I asked the candidates if they were ok with nanny cams (which Jennie's husband tells me I should call surveillance cameras, as that sounds nicer), and told them I planned on having them.  The ethics of hidden cameras aside, it's not like I can hide them - if you go with inexpensive cameras, you don't get tiny, inconspicuous cameras.  I now have 3 cameras in my house and a website I can log into from anywhere and see what's going on.  Not only can I log in, but my friends can log in, too.

Twenty minutes into my training class I get a text from Jennie, "She's holding him and he's taking a bottle!" followed by a screen shot of my living room, with M holding Finn and very clearly giving him a bottle.  Ten minutes later I get a text from M, telling me that he was getting a little choked on the first bottle she tried, and wanted to know where the other bottles were.  I already had some Tommee Tippees clean, so I told her to try that next.  An hour later, she texted me, "He just took 4 ounces, and is now asleep."  Not long after that, Jennie's husband emailed me a picture of Finn asleep in his swing.  When I got home, some soft music was playing, the living room was clean, and Finn was babbling happily in his swing.

Today I left him for another 4 hours, this time to get my hair cut and highlighted.  It was when I was leaning back, having my hair shampooed, when I realized how much I've neglected myself the past few months.  I didn't think I needed time away, but I've realized that I was wrong.  It was wonderful having a few hours of being pampered.  Somehow I'm going to need to find some time to do that at least once every few weeks.  I ran some errands after that (and had Jennie check in to tell me that Finn was asleep in his crib - officially the first time he's stayed asleep there!) and came home to find the laundry done, the floor vacuumed and Finn watching M fold his clothes.  He took another 3 ounces while I was gone, and then ate as soon as I got home.

M will be here for a few hours tomorrow and Friday, and then Finn and I have the weekend together before it's back to work for me.  I'm going to miss him so much, but I do feel better about leaving him, now that it looks like he's going to eat, and it's obvious M likes him and is going to take good care of him.

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you feel good about M. That will help during the transition. The cameras will be awesome also because you can get a 'peek" into his day. Take care of yourself and remember that you do need some time for yourself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that's AWESOME, that you got the cameras AND told the nanny about them. and that you have so many folks checking in for you!

    the nanny sounds wonderful, and i'm so happy for you that Finn took the bottles without a protest! had you tried giving him bottles, and he refused? or just hadn't tried them yet? (and which brand did he choke with? tommee tippee is about the only brand that i DON'T have.)

    and can i just say: i think it's hilarious how much he looks EXACTLY like his mama??? in a wonderfully adorable way!

    good luck monday! and good work getting some mama time in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! You must have the best nanny on Earth and I'd like you to send her up to Minnesota so that Mac will start napping in his crib. That said, please know, Finn may be better for M than he is for you! Mac won't nap in his crib for me AT ALL but goes down like a dream for Denise at daycare. Siiigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have an awesome nanny, and that should make you feel so much better about leaving Finn! And you're right; it is so important to take care of yourself too (I think it took me years to figure that one out). Good luck with work next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you made the right choice in the nanny. I think this will eliminate some of the stress of going back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has it been 2 months already. He looks so big now--and so adorable! His hair is so cute. I'm glad to hear that he took to the bottle so well! I think it is so wise to schedule time to take care of yourself. Congrats on taking the first step to getting back to balancing work life with home life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I was going to comment on what a handsome "little" man you have but at 15 lbs, little not so much, lol! He's adorable!

    M sounds amazing and how reassuring for you to have the cams! Just to have the opportunity to peek in on Finn seems well worth it... I don't think I'd get any work done as I'd be addicted to watching!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh good boy Finn! Your cameras remind me of the critter can exhibit I saw last night. I would never work if I could stare at Foxie from my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful that things are going so well with the nanny. It sounds like she's a great fit for both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. M sounds just wonderful! Glad Finn will be in very capable hands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. M sounds like a great nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds AMAZING!!!! And genius about the nanny cams--I think that's so important. yay for great friends to help you get that set up and for having a trustworthy nanny too! Hope your adjustment to work goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have a great nanny (made the right choice!) And make sure you do take some me time, even if it's just a little bit. I try and take 30 minutes from when I get home from work before I get J from daycare so I can do chores, exercise or just sit lol. After I pick him up it's nonstop!! Very cute little boy you have there :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finn is sooooo cute!
    I'm sad to hear it's time for you to head back to work, but glad that you have a wonderful nanny to take care of him.
    Glad you were able to pamper yourself a little too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Re nanny cam: does this mean your friends can check up on you when you are home without you knowing? That could be kind of creepy. Or can you turn them off when you are at home?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup - No lovers on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So far so good! I am glad things are working out! I may need some advice in several months. I am thinking of having a Nanny as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope Finn and you both had a good day today!!

    Your story has been very inspiring to me... Thanks so much for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a handsome boy! I'm so glad things are working out so well with your nanny. That piece of mind is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely boy. He's perfect, isn't he? And a lovely blog my dear. Great writing full of heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete