Of course, that made me worry about how he'd be with a bottle - and since he's going to have to take a bottle when I go back to work at the end of July, we decided to try bottle feeding him today. I pumped after he ate this morning, and then had Heidi give him his first bottle right as he was first showing signs of being hungry for his next feeding, so he wasn't starving when she tried. (I don't know what I would have done if Heidi hadn't been able to come back for a week - there aren't many people out there who would do well with a crying baby trying to feed, but she's calm and gentle with him.)
I went upstairs and closed the door to the bedroom, while Heidi tried to get him to eat, but it didn't go well. He cried and fussed, and refused to take it. I really expected it to go that way, but was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. We started with the bottles that go with the breast pump I have, but I have 3 or 4 other bottles that we can try - I'm just not sure if I should try to give him a different bottle each time, or try the same bottle several times before giving up and going to the next one. Heidi is here until Saturday, so she'll try to feed him every day, if possible, and then after she's gone, I'll try to give him a bottle every day, too.
Aside from some trouble last week with my milk let down being so fast that it was choking poor Finn when he ate, I've really not had much trouble with breast feeding. I know I'm incredibly lucky he's done so well, especially since (according to the pediatrician) I had the trifecta of situations that make it difficult for a baby to nurse well: long labor, c-section and big baby, and yet we were doing so well with nursing that he had gained back to his birth weight by the time he was 8 days old. So I guess it stands to reason that I was due for something that would make feeding difficult. As if him still eating every 2 hours wasn't difficult enough.
It would be so wonderful to be independently wealthy so I could stay home until Finn was weaned. Or to live in a country where maternity leave was more than 12 weeks. That would be nice, too.












Sending Natalie over to your blog as she's dealing with some of the same stuff and can maybe give you some insights if she has any. Or instead you two can just curse me together as we've gotten super lucky with Mac and bottles.
ReplyDeleteAnd here I am Ta Da! hehehe. Yes we most certainly are/were dealing with the same bottle feeding dilemma. We started trying the prescribed two weeks before I would be going back to work, but he still wasn't really cooperating. Here's some quick recommendations: I would definitely choose one bottle and stick with it. The lactaction consultant that we talked with said that the best ones are often those least like the breast. She also said that getting a higher flow nipple so they don't have to work as hard for it. Sounds like he might be fine with a high flow if your let down is pretty fast still. It might be frustrating for him to use the newborn nipples because it takes too long to get the same amount as nursing. I was able to give Jack a couple of bottles, but then he started refusing them from me. So if Heidi can continue to do it that would be great. Andy's best success has been with not holding jack. He puts him in the swing and sits in front of him to feed him. He never found a holding position that worked. Basically it just takes a LOT of patience. Hopefully Finn will take to it SOOOOOOO much faster than Jack has. But don't freak out if he goes to daycare and isn't fully up to bottle feeding. I am sure they will get him going. I don't want to discourage you, but it took us 4 weeks of me being back to work to get him to the point he is now which is taking 12 ounces a day. Before he was "reverse cycling" where he would just drink 2-4 ounces all day and then nurse like crazy when I was home. But you also have to know that if he only ever takes just the bare minimum he will be OK. People will try to freak you out that he is starving and the L.C. assured me he will not starve. So yeah, it has taken us a while (should probably write an updated post about this), but we are finally starting to see some success! Patience.
ReplyDeleteAll these questions seem so much larger when you are this exhausted! But like Natalie said, Finn will not let himself starve. He may reverse cycle, which will make you totally exhausted when you go back to work, but he'll be healthy. And hopefully he'll take the bottle by then.
ReplyDeleteI wish you could stay home longer, too. The maternity leave laws in this country are just not right! I stayed home 14 weeks with J, and that little extra time felt so precious, but it was nothing.
I had a lot of trouble nursing. Laura took a bottle after birth which was fine because I was pretty out of it after the c-section. She did take to nursing well, but my milk took about a week to come in and, by then, Laura was back in the hospital. My milk came in while we were in the ER for 8 hours and I didn't pump and was totally stressed out so that was a bad start. Because she was losing weight and so jaundiced, she did a combination of breast and formula, and I pumped constantly.
ReplyDeleteLaura also didn't care for a pacifier until she started to teethe. She was a fussy nurser, too, but she was a lazy baby (partially because of the jaundice - made her tired all the time and not eat a lot) so she chose to sleep over crying and carrying on.
I think it should help having Heidi there and having him realize when other hands touch him, there's a bottle and when mommy has him, he gets it straight from the source.
Good luck!
FInn is so adorable! I hope he takes to his bottle soon.
ReplyDeleteYou need to move over here, I'm pretty sure my SIL had six months maternity leave.
Ellie
Awwww, he's so cute. He'll catch on to the bottle.... when he's hungry.
ReplyDeleteMine wouldn't take pacifiers either. Go figure.
My little guy took to the bottle right away because we had to supplement. I have found that he likes the soothe brand of pacifier and won't even consider another type. Too bad, they all had cute marine animals on them. I would love a long maternity leave too. It is going to be hard leaving him.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that I am so jealous that breastfeeding has gone so well for you. But I am also very glad for you too!
Yikes! I'm sorry things are so challenging but it sounds as though you're coping well...thank god for Heidi too!
ReplyDeleteElena is still feeding every 2 hours at 13 weeks (except at night) & every hour & a half the last few days.
I really admire your spirit and willingness to try different things. You don't sound frustrated if you were wondering. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.
ReplyDeleteWe all know I have no maternal instincts whatsoever, but I gotta say, that boy of yours sure is a cutie patootie. I'm sorry you are so tired, but hopefully with Heidi there to visit and help out with bottle testing, some great progress will be made this week.
ReplyDeleteI'm sitting here at work pumping for my 11 and a half month old, and I have to tell you that it will get better. We had a TERRIBLE time with bottles. BFing was going great, but I hired a lactation consultant to come help with bottle feeding! She had no luck. My husband had no luck. Finally, one day when I was home alone, I decided to try the tough love method. She screamed for 20 minutes (it felt like -- probably was more like five) and then finally took the whole bottle. It's the only time I've ever used anything like cry it out.
ReplyDeleteAs for bottles, I use Avent. I used slower flow nipples for the start of daycare, though, because I was paranoid about her preferring bottles.
Good luck. Don't worry. Nurse lying down so at least you can kinda rest. Snuggle a lot -- he's adorable.
Just checking in to see how things are going with Finn, Shannon. I hope you've been able to get a few good stretches of sleep in before Heidi left. Do you have other friends that can come over to help you - even so you can catch a nap or to try to feed him a bottle??
ReplyDelete