Right now my Fun Problem is that I'm still struggling with the nanny issue. The thing is, I don't really want to have a nanny. It makes me nervous to think that there will be only one person in the house with my little boy, and that one person won't be me. In daycare there would be several people in the infant room, so if one person got overwhelmed, there is always someone else to step in (or to intervene, if needed). It's also going to be very hard for me to afford a nanny, and I'm not able to pay the salary many of the really good, really experienced nannies require. Daycare would be so much cheaper. The problem with daycare is the fact that kids get sick so often in daycare, and I can't possibly miss a day of work (with no warning) every week or two. I just couldn't do it, so that means I'm stuck with getting a nanny. But I'm an emotional, anxious mess thinking about the whole nanny thing. I wish I could find an alternative, but there just doesn't seem to be one.
I'm almost done with my phone interviews of the 8 most promising out of the 77 applicants. Here's the run down of the first 7 (though probably boring for anyone but me, so feel free to skip this part - it helps me to put it all down in writing):
- Applicant #1 - 24 years old, no formal nanny experience but is the oldest of 6 children, and basically raised her youngest sibling due to her mom's health issues. Babysits regularly and loves babies. Very close to her family, active in church. Lives 10 minutes from here. Pros: young, motivated, enjoys kids. Cons: she's never done this before, and may discover that she really doesn't like being home with an infant all day, or that she has trouble following my child rearing philosophy when it doesn't correspond to hers.
- Applicant #2 - loved her, only she wants $100 more a week than the maximum I can afford.
- Applicant #3 - 55 years old, from Peru, could barely understand her on the phone. Has great references. Pros: could teach Finn Spanish. Cons: I couldn't understand her well enough to ask her all my screening questions. She did admit to being nervous, and said that makes her English worse...
- Applicant #4 - 53 years old, years of experience, but she didn't answer her phone when I called. Emailed me 45 minutes after our interview time asking if she'd gotten the date wrong, turns out she had her ringer off. The whole conversation was dominated by her sharing stories that, for the most part, had nothing to do with her being a nanny. Pros: lots of experience, knows she enjoys the job and she likes babies. Cons: when I asked what she would do with my 3 month old baby all day replied, "What I do with any other 3 month old."; clearly didn't even look at her phone while waiting for me to call, since she would have seen a missed call and voice mail from me if she had.
- Applicant #5 - 26 years old, mother of a 2 year old. Again, no answer when I called her - how weird is that? I left a message and she called back in 15 minutes, "I'm sorry, I was at the Humane Society and my phone didn't ring, I just saw your voice mail when I left the building." Ok, she knew I was going to be calling - what was she doing at the Humane Society? Pros: Experienced nanny (4 years), answered my questions well, willing to hold Finn or carry him in a carrier or wrap all he wants. Cons: she wasn't available when I called. Didn't remember anything about my job posting. She lives 30 minutes away, unless there's traffic (which there always is during rush hour) and then it's more like 45-60 minutes. What would she do when her son is sick?
- Applicant #6 - the manny. 33 years old. Experienced with infants as an au pair a few years ago. Most recent job taking care of a 4 year old girl. That family is gone for 3 months to Brazil, "and she expects that I'm going to work for her when she gets back, but I can't go 3 months without work." From Brazil, speaks Portuguese and Spanish, is a swim instructor and loves sports. Pros: nice to have a male influence. Lives 1 mile from my house. Cons: not sure how I feel about what he said about his most recent employer. Will have to explore that further.
- Applicant #7 - 24 years old, married. She and her husband were foster parents for 2 years as a way to adopt, but have put that on hold and plan to go more conventional adoption route in a few years. 3 years as a full time nanny, ultimately wants to own her own daycare, so is taking classes in early childhood education. Pros: motivated, loves kids. Cons: none obvious after the initial interview!
- Applicant #8 - will be talking to her tomorrow.
I know I'm going to interview applicants #1, 3, 6 and 7 in person. Over all I liked #1, 6 and 7 enough that I'd like to know more, and while I don't know much about #3, I'd like to see if I can understand her better in person as her references really were good. I'm not going to interview #4 - I was put off by the fact that she never checked her phone while anticipating my call, and then her style on the phone was another turn off. I had told #5 I'd like to meet her in person, but now I'm not so sure - she wasn't waiting for my call, either, and then the cons are pretty significant cons.
All this makes me realize - I really need to start playing the lottery.












I agree about 4 and 5. If you can't be ready for the call then they may nit be serious about showing up to work. A friend of mine had a nanny and found her nanny also helped with light housework related to the baby like the baby's laundry and room.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with your opinion of 4 and 5. I am in leadership and have to sometimes do phone interviews, and nothing irritates me more when they are not "put" when we had a scheduled interview. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteRe "Fun Problems" - I think it's impossible to put yourself in anyone's shoes until you've been there, and that goes both ways, meaning I know fertiles can't possibly understand what it's like for women who struggle to get pg or stay pg, but for those who are lucky enough to have a baby (sooner or later), it's impossible for those who don't have one or have one yet to understand what that's like, either. So problems they are no matter which side of the coin you are on.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds to me as if so far #7 is your best bet so far for a nanny (depending on how #8 is), but of course only you will know who is the right one for your situation. It is so hard to decide who will be the one to take care of your baby, so you really have to go by your gut instinct as much as anything else. The fantastic nanny I had was very young (21) with only a couple of years of experience, but I knew by her answers to my questions and how she was on the phone (and in person, although it was my parents and sister who met her in person before hiring her, not me, since I was living in another state at the time) that she was the one. And she was! But of course like with daycare you may not really know if it's a good match until that person starts and everyone gets adjusted. It's one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do, trust your child with someone else for a major portion of the week, but with the right person you trust, it gets much easier as time goes on.
-Tashia
Good luck on finding the nanny that is best for you. Great pics of Finn. He is adorable.
ReplyDeleteMy sister calls these first world problems.
ReplyDelete1 and 7 are good ones.
OK, Number 4 totally reminded me of a babysitter we hired and she was a disaster! She lectured me about the poor state of organization in the kitchen, yet when I returned home the house was an absolute wreck! We never had her come back.
ReplyDeleteNumber 7 sounds great. My take after dealing with this issue time and time again is go with your gut. It's always right.
Shannon, honey, these are definitely problems. I think even those of us who hope to someday have to deal with them can acknowledge that this has to be stressful. #7 sounds fantastic. I agree with so many others about the ones who weren't answering the phone. I am still interested in #6 if you could talk him into staying instead of returning to the other home. Good luck on the decision making. I know that you will make the right one for you and Finn.
ReplyDeleteI think you're doing a great job with this. Oh and the fun problems, you don't complain in a way that makes you sound ungreatful. Actually, it don't want to say complaining because it doesn't sound like complaining, it just sounds like life.
ReplyDeleteAll I could think about while I was reading this is how great it would be if you could have a shared nanny situation. Two familes, share one nanny. Do people even do that?
6 and 7 both sound great. Looks like you will have some great options to choose from.
#7 sounds like a winner. Too bad # 2 is out of budget...sounds like a good candidate there since you loved her.
ReplyDeleteChildcare is sooo stressful to deal with!! And you're right - nanny is so much better from the health aspect but there are real concerns with just one caretaker. Luckily it does sound like you have promising options. Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteMy $.02:
ReplyDelete6 & 7 have my vote. I look at some of these peoples' ages and that gives me pause. I work with quite a few early-mid 20-somethings and have lost a lot of faith in that generation and I'm not sure the maturity is there yet. With a lot of them, Facebook and social drama is their first priority in life; not their jobs/careers.
I really like the idea of having the male influence and he actually seems to have the most valuable experience. It would be very interesting to see what he says about what's going to happen when the family he was working for comes back and how he handles that situation.
I don't really have a choice for childcare. I can't afford a private nanny and with my job I can't be at the mercy of a nanny who can (and will) call in sick from time to time and who will inevitably take vacations and want time off (sometimes several weeks at a time) which translates to me having to take unplanned leave that I just don't have. I know with centers you run the risk of frequent sickness, but to me that really seems to be the worst downside and I choose to look at it as immune-system building for when they start school LOL.
Fun problems - love it. Taking my mind off of early ovulation fear and only a couple follies with ER tomorrow. :) Great applicants and I agree about 6 or 7.
ReplyDeleteMaybe 6 didnt elaborate on his situation well but my cousin found her nanny of 4 years with a similar start. She loved the children she previously worked for dearly but they had a job loss and wanted to cut her 1/2 time and she couldn't do it. She stayed with my cousin until she moved back to Serbia.
And 7 sounds great especially with her goals and probably an interest in child development. And for those of us who have been through the adoption process usually have passed all FBI and state background clearances and lots of preparation and vetting.
Good luck!
Make sure you rub Finn's head or belly for good luck on the lottery ;)
ReplyDeleteYou seem to have a great system going for choosing a nanny!
My $0.02... I would tell #2 that you are planning to pass on her because you can't afford her, even though you loved her. Worst case scenario, she gets a nice compliment. Best case scenario, she lowers her prices.
ReplyDeleteNumber one sounded intriguing to me, though i don't know why you said she might not follow your childrearing philosophy... true of all of them, no? But I like the eagerness and energy of young people.
As for number three... if you can't understand her for the in-person interview, either, I would take a pass. How else are you going to communicate about subtle issues on a day to day basis?
Number 4 -- sounds terrible, you want someone who is a good listener (never mind one that keeps her appointments! ditto for any others that were MIA for appointments with you.)
Number 7 -- sounds lovely!
I agree with Abby's approach if you really liked number 2. Number 7 sounds like a solid choice, too. I hope number 8 turns out to be another good possibility, too!
ReplyDeleteAbby makes a great point about #2...I'd be worried about #6 going back to the other job after the 3 months...#7 sounds really good.
ReplyDeleteTough choices to make...it's so unfair you have to go back to work so soon.
My job makes me freak out about having anyone alone in they house with L. I know I might need a nanny in the future, but my stomach was doing flops just reading about your choices. I don't like males alone with kids, again, it's the job talking. I'm totally paranoid because of my job. Good luck. This seems so tough.
ReplyDeleteDaycare is so stressful - and so conflicting, because YOU want to be home with your little guy.
ReplyDeleteMy advice is after the next round of interviews, go with your gut. Listen closely to what your heart tells you, and you will not go wrong.
Good Luck!
Hi Shannon. I've been reading yours posts for awhile now. I'm loving reading about life with Finn. It sounds like you have a few good options. Try not to think about making a "right or wrong" choice. Sounds like a few of the people would work well. I think you are doing a great job narrowing down the options!
ReplyDeleteDee
Thanks for linking to my post! Fun problem or not, this is a tough choice. Many people end up switching their childcare options once or more, though. It's so hard to know how things are going to work out. I often think a nanny would be nice, but I could see how that option would have risks, too. Good luck with #1, 3, 6, and 7.
ReplyDeleteOh what a nightmare of a task!!!! Choosing who to leave your child with is the hardest decision. Do you know any stay at home moms who would be willing to have him in their home? That way you have the best of both worlds--not in a big room with lots of kids (sickness) but with some kids. Thinking of you as you embark down this road!!!! I liked the options you were pursuing more closely. I always enjoy reading your blog and now seeing your cute little guy too!
ReplyDeleteHi Shannon, I am hoping that by now you have found The One. I never imagined it would be such a difficult task - I was hoping you would have seven wonderful people to actually be able to choose one!
ReplyDelete