Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

My son doesn't have a dad.  He doesn't even have a father or a biological father.  He has a donor.  To me, that's an important distinction.  The words dad or father imply that an emotional and physical connection existed at some point, and even the term "biological father" implies a physical connection related to conception.  Because of those implications, if I were to say that my son has a dad or a biological father, then I feel like I'm also saying that there is a man who is missing from Finn's life.  And of course, there isn't.  His donor is a law student who donated some specimens without ever knowing what families he would be helping.  Sometimes I wonder if his donor ever thinks about the children that might have come from his donations.  I wonder if he wishes he could see pictures of them, or meet them, or even know about their existence.  Or if, perhaps, he never thinks about them at all.    

I feel such overwhelming gratitude for his donor, and I hope I can raise Finn to feel the same way.  I hope he never feels a sense of loss or emptiness when he thinks of his donor.  He may always have some questions, but I hope that by talking openly about his donor early on, those questions will be limited to things like, "I wonder if I got my pudgy big toes from my donor."

For Finn, Father's Day is going to be a day to celebrate his PopPop, and perhaps some of the other men in his life, like his Uncle Brian and Uncle Clark.  For me, I'll also take a moment every Father's Day to say a prayer of thankfulness for the man who is Finn's donor.  He's not his dad, he's not his father, but without him, I wouldn't have my boy.

16 comments:

  1. I love this post!! I'm going to keep it bookmarked for when I have my baby to remind me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful reflection on Father's Day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a sweetly written post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful way of thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. I hope you and Finn have a wonderful day with his PopPop. Foxie is going to watch his Pepe enjoy a lobster dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, that is exactly the way I feel. ;-)

    And for me it goes a step further. My niece and nephew will know from the get go that there are different ways to build families and they are all good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post, Shannon. I've been struggling with this issue lately (and I don't even have a baby YET!!), and this really helped clarify my own thoughts on the dad/father/donor issue. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best post of the day!! So well written - thanks, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with your sentiment on this topic, Shannon. I think if we are happy and comfortable with our choice, our kids probably will be too. And yes, we are so very lucky to have had this path to motherhood open to us, aren't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way of thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I think the donor will wonder from time to time about the children that may have been/will be created with the help of his donations. It's a nice thought.

    I was just reading your nanny post, how's that going? Such a difficult decision. Good luck with the in-person interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! I've been at a loss for a term for my daughter's donor as well and as simple as it seems, "donor" is perfect. Why didn't I think of that??? :-)

    I agree on the Father's Day celebration and plan to do the same thing ... celebrate with the men in my daughter's life. I am also going to steal your idea of a prayer for my donor. He gave me the greatest gift, for which I am eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post! Thanks, Shan, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete