Saturday, February 12, 2011

Unexpected Words of Wisdom

I’m pretty sure every woman who has ever considered being a mom has, at least once, wondered if she’d be good at it, if she’d be able to handle the demands of caring for a child. And I know that those of us who chose the single mom route think about this even more, since we’re considering becoming the one person responsible for another human’s upbringing. I still find myself wondering if I can do it, if I can be the mom Chiquitito deserves, and sometimes find myself overwhelmed (and more than a little terrified) at the thought of what lies ahead of me. I also remember thinking, for a fleeting moment after my miscarriage, that maybe this was a sign that I shouldn’t be a mom. I know I’m not the only one who has had similar thoughts after a loss or repeated failed cycles, and I know that sort of thinking is pure nonsense, but it sure can seem real when you’re in the midst of feeling that way.

Most days I feel pretty confident I’ll be a good mom. I know I’ll make mistakes. I’ll have breakdowns and probably yell at my boy when I shouldn’t. But I know that he’ll always know he’s loved. And I know that most days my attempts at being the best mom possible will be (mostly) successful. That confidence doesn’t keep the bad thoughts completely away though, and I’ve had those thoughts more than usual the past few days.

Sometimes the universe knows just when a person needs a little extra support, and can find very unexpected ways to deliver that message. Which leasds me to a conversation I had with one of my patients yesterday.

Mr. C has been my patient for about 5 years – he’s 76 and very opinionated and set in his ways. In the past we’ve spent very long office visits negotiating what he was and was not willing to do to improve his blood sugars, and, after I managed to sweet talk him into a few compromises, he has actually done really well. Anyway, as I said, he’s very opinionated, and so I was a little concerned about what he would say about my pregnancy. Our conversation was pretty typical for what I get these days, a surprised “congratulations” followed by a “I didn’t even know you were married!”  I've finally gotten pretty good as responding with a cheery, “Oh, I’m not married, I made this baby all on my own!”

I expected Mr. C would either not know what I was talking about, or act very uncomfortable and change the subject. Instead, his face broke into a huge grin as he said, “Well, good for you! I think that’s wonderful! And you know, I think it’s women like you who make the best mothers. After all I imagine you’ve gone through to get pregnant, you know just how precious this life is, and you know you really want this baby. Yes, it’s women who pursue having a child like you have who know the true value of a being a parent and make the best moms.”

I was so overwhelmed by his words – they were exactly what I needed to hear, right when I needed to hear them. And I thought of those of you out there also on your paths to motherhood, and thought that maybe a few of you might need to hear them, too.

22 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Mr. C sounds like a character, but he is a wise old guy. I'm glad he was there to speak to those feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the daddy question. It's surprising the great responses from the people you would least expect it of. I had a few people who asked me questions that made me uncomfortable, but there were so many other people--people I wasn't expecting-who didn't ask questions and just embraced me and my pregnacy.

    So glad we connected, Shannon. I think you're going to be a fabulous mom! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! He has a very open mind for someone of his generation. Very sweet conversation and so true, no one takes for granted the things they work so hard to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. That is the best compliment Mr. C could have given. Such wise, kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't allow any worry some thoughts into your head for even a second! I am certain you will be a fabulous mother. There is no such thing as a perfect mother, because then the baby would never have any opportunities to learn and grow. You will be a wonderful mother because you love your baby so much and have wanted him for so long.

    (and he will have the cutest baby clock in town!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to those sentiments :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heart Mr. C....

    It's good to know I'm not the only one out there who worries I'm won't give my child what they deserve. Sweet comments like this help bring me back to center. Thanks for sharing, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so awesome, negotiating with Mr. C! I just love that.

    And thanks for all the comments on my blog... you have no idea how much I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. What a great and encouraging thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great moment for you to have with Mr. C, it brought tears to my eyes. I know you'll be a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to think that it's good we have those thoughts of will I make a good mother *some* times. It reminds us of what we don't want to, what we'll do to be the best mother we can be, and maybe to keep us in reality too (knowing that not every day, or moment, is going to be spent skipping along the daisies, though we can do that too).
    Mr. C reminds me of one of my grandpas. I'm so glad that spoke words of wisdom that you needed right now. And again, I really like the "I made this baby all on my own." I will most likely be using that one when it comes my time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wise man.. you would think he would be conservative.. but he gets it, he gets why we are pursuing this journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet, sweet man! And I agree with PDXer to Be that it's a nice and somewhat surprising response from someone of his generation. And for what it's worth, I agree with him - I think you'll be a great mom because you WANT to be a mom. You made a conscious decision to have a child and it wasn't a situation of "Well, we might as well have them as not since we're not getting any younger" which I have heard from some of my married friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so sweet. What a wonderful thing for him to say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah that's awesome. He sounds like my favorite sort of person, rough exterior, gooey in the middle. I'm so glad that you had someone say something so sweet rather than the ignorance that I'm sure people can show when they find out you made the decision to be a single mom. Not that it needs to be repeated but I'm guessing you don't hear it enough - you're going to be a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right you are-- I REALLY need to hear that today. So, thank you. And I think Mr. C. is right-- you're gonna be a fantastic mom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not only were his comments kind and true but I believe they were also heartfelt and honest. From what you describe, this man seems to speak his mind and not mince words. What a wonderful, refreshing encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could hug that man!! That's simply adorable. Shannon, he is absolutely right. You are going to great mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you never know who is on your side. I am in the thinking stage but I wonder how I would approach it at work. I am very private and they don't know much about me. A woman at my job has just had a baby and she isn't married. There has been many questions about the father. When the questions are asked I think none of your business I just haven't said it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, that is so very sweet of him! (and I still have those moments, wondering..)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great comment from your patient! Thanks for sharing his words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete