For the first time in 11 years, since the infamous Geriatric Psych Stomach Bug took me and countless others out for days when I was an intern, I left work early today because I was sick. Really, I probably shouldn’t have gone to work at all. I went to bed feeling queasy, then woke up multiple times with diarrhea (sorry!) and feeling so incredibly nauseated. I kept thinking, “If only I could throw up!” but I never did. Until 7am, when last night’s dinner finally made a re-appearance. I did feel better after that, so much so that I thought I could go to work.
Armed with a liter of ginger ale and applesauce, I drove to work, getting more and more nauseated as I went. And so I called LB, “Do you think that I could take non-drowsy Dramamine now, and still be ok to take Phenergan if I decide I need it later?” And she tried to talk a little sense into me. “Why are you going to work?” “Do you know how dehydrated you must be right now?” “What if you get so dehydrated you start having contractions and have to go to OB Triage for IV fluids?”
Pre-pregnancy, I would have done what I did today, and gone to work. I knew the worst was over, and I could tolerate a long, bad day of feeling lightheaded and queasy from dehydration. And somehow, today, that’s what I was prepared to do again. It’s not that I forgot I was pregnant – far from it. All through the night, Chiquitito was squirming around, making my belly jiggle, as if he was just as uncomfortable as I was, or maybe because he was wondering what the heck was going on in there around him. I worried about him, of course, but never really though that I might be putting him in danger by doing what I always do: soldiering on through feeling like crap to make sure patients were taken care of.
So I agreed with LB, that I would make sure I sipped on ginger ale before and after every patient, and if I felt bad I’d go home. Within 15 minutes of walking through the door, my nurse asked me if she should cancel the rest of my patients, and I said yes. I felt horrible, and the worry about what might happen if I didn’t take better care of myself was overwhelming. I worked from 9-11, and then came home.
I’ve spent the rest of the day cuddling on the couch with the kitties, marveling at how much Chiquitito moves around when I’m still, and trying to drink. It’s taken me all day, but I’ve finished off a quart of Gatorade, almost finished my liter of ginger ale, and am now sipping on water. I even managed some grits for dinner. So far, all has stayed down (without Phenergan), so I’m hoping tomorrow I’ll be well enough for work. But if I still feel icky from dehydration, I’m staying home.












Good for you, Shan.. take care of yourself. We are so used to taking care of others, saving lives that we forget about our own health. Drink alot of fluids and stay on a bland diet.
ReplyDeleteI have never called in sick-- do doctors get sick days?
Ugh, I clicked out before I verified it--taking it from the top ;) :
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing! I hope you feel much better by tomorrow.
Then something about working retail I was never sick, went to a call center sit-on-your-butt-all-day-in-front-of-a-monitor job where the terminals are shared (yak about the keyboards and such) and somehow I managed to gain a LOT of weight and catch everything being spread around.
Eek. I'm glad you called it an early day and have been resting up. I hope you're feeling much better tomorrow.
ReplyDeletePlease take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for going home Shannon!! It sucks having no sick days as docs and dentists. I've been very blessed to have an amazing support system who can take care of Tate when he's sick and I have patients. It's so hard to not go to his appts when he's sick, but someone has to work so he can go go those appts!! I hope you are as lucky as I am (then again you can probably take care of the little guy yourself :) )
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling much better this evening!!
I am so sorry to hear how sick you were - please take it easy. I am not a doctor, but my mother always said "take an extra day to recover, so you can be sure it won't come back" I think this is good advice.
ReplyDeleteGood call Dr.
ReplyDeleteStay home again too if you need to. And get better!
I'm so sorry you're feeling ill. I think the hardest thing to do for many of us is take time for ourselves. Take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteBtw: I've bestowed you with an award on my blog. Please feel free to check it out.
Sorry to hear you were sick. I definitely think you made the right call. Be kind to yourself :)
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe you went to work like that! If I were your doctor I would have been telling you to stay home, and rebook patients for the following day also...I hope you are feeling better. I imagine you'll be pretty exhausted this week! Take care xx
ReplyDeleteGood for you for going home...it's so much more different being sick while pregnant & you have more to consider...hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I hate being sick but being sick while knocked up? Double whammy! Hope you feel 100% soon!
ReplyDeleteFeel better soon!
ReplyDeleteI am SO sorry you're feeling yucky!!! Take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteFeel better friend! And take care of you!
ReplyDeleteGot your comment and figured if you wanted the hamper - here is where I got it. It works perfectly with the set. http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Rattan_Elephant_Hamper/820/
ReplyDeleteI also have my eyes on a little elephant lamp, if I get it, I'll let you know.
I love that we have the same bedding, you have superior taste. :)
Hope you're feeling better (moreso that it was short)
ReplyDelete