I’ve (mostly) recovered from my stomach bug – my insides are still a little off kilter, but that always happens to me when I’ve been sick. I haven’t eaten much, but I’m eating, and that’s what counts. At my last OB visit I’d gained 5 pounds in a month. That after only gaining 8 pounds in the preceding 23 weeks! My next OB appointment is Tuesday (I’m now at every 2 week visits, can you believe it?) and I’m willing to bet I haven’t gained much this time. I hope I haven’t lost weight – I really don’t want to get fussed at.
I completely forgot to mention that I passed my glucose tolerance test! I actually did the test myself at my office. I hate the current screening method of the one hour test, followed by the three hour test if that’s abnormal. There are too many missed cases of GDM with that test, and any test that requires you to drink that stuff twice is just wrong. I’d already decided that I was going to do the two hour test as proposed by the International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups Consensus Panel last year. I actually attended the 2008 meeting where all the data were presented in and discussed in preparation for this consensus statement, and knew the data well enough to know this test is better, and that’s what I wanted to do. Lucky for me, the American Diabetes Association adopted those recommendations just last month, so when I took my test results to my OB, I was able to attach the new guidelines to it, so she had no reason to argue with me. The new guidelines are actually much stricter, making it likely that a few more people will be misdiagnosed as actually having gestational diabetes when they don’t, but it also means that it will be much less likely that people who do have GDM will be missed, which means healthier babies, and that’s what’s important. (And if someone doesn’t have it, but is told they do, all they’ll have to do is suffer a healthier diet for a few months and that’s not really a big deal.) So it was the two hour test I passed, and I not only passed it, I rocked it. Thank goodness! I have no idea where those high blood sugars came from last year, but I’m glad they’re gone!












Great news about your GTT Shannon :) I always refer my patients for the 2 hour GTT (it's been pretty std here as long as I can remember), I'm aware of the 1 hour challenge but have never had any clinical experience with it. If you're going to get a patient to comply with the rigmarole of a fasting assessment, you want to get the best information you can, first time around. I'm not familiar with a 3 hour test (patients would not like that at all!). Glad you are starting to feel better.
ReplyDeleteOnly 80 days!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Oh, I keep forgetting to ask you, did you try the infertility meditations you have linked to? I have been considering Circle + Bloom (although a bit pricey), do you have a recommendation?
ReplyDeleteThanks.
Such a smart lady. Glad to hear you passed and Chiquitito won't rip you a new one with his giant head.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're feeling better friend! And love that you were able to take care of that one yourself!! You're right - twice of that test is just nuts!
ReplyDeleteYeah for passing the GGT! And glad you're feeling better too.
ReplyDeleteYay. I am wondering - as a doctor, do you think that makes you an easier patient or a more difficult one? Or rather, what do you think if *you* have patients who are doctors? It must certainly prevent you from being talked down to, which is nice.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are feeling better! How cool is it that you can administer your own test!!! And so glad you passed!
ReplyDeleteThat is good news. I am glad your feeling better. I failed my glucose test by a point. I have to go for the three hour one now - not looking forward to it.
ReplyDeleteShannon, glad to stumble upon your blog. I'm a choice mom too, and I have two boys (4 and 23 months).
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're on the home stretch of your pregnancy. Yay!!!
Yay for passing the GTT test. (didn't know there was a two hour test)
ReplyDelete