Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice

Today, December 21st, marks my due date from my first pregnancy. I’ve been dreading this date for weeks, and at the same time hoping it would hurry up and get here so I could stop with the unpleasant anticipation.

My heart aches for the little baby who wasn’t meant to be. I was sure she was a girl (I didn’t do any genetic testing to confirm this), and after my miscarriage I named her Faith. I didn’t have much faith in anything at the time, but I felt like naming her Faith was a promise to myself that my faith would return.

As I type this, Chiquitito is moving around, kicking my bladder and generally making his presence known. It’s strange, mourning my lost girl while being so totally in love with this little boy who wouldn’t exist if she had stayed. I don’t know how to reconcile the two feelings, but I guess I don’t have to. The joy and sadness aren’t mutually exclusive, but it does feel weird, feeling both so intensely at the same time.

I can’t help wondering what things would have been like if all had gone well, and I was about to become a new mom right around now; Christmas would be very different this year. I have a feeling that these sorts of wonderings will stop once Chiquitito is born, since as soon as I meet him I know I won’t be able to imagine another baby in my arms instead of him. I am so grateful that I’m facing this day while already 21 weeks pregnant, but whenever someone asks me “Is this your first child?” my instinctive response is, “No, my he’s my second.” I never actually answer that way, but I always feel a little guilty when I answer, “Yes, he’s my first.”

I used to think that God sent us losses like these for a reason. The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve questioned that line of reasoning, and now, after my miscarriage, I just don’t believe it anymore at all. There’s no rhyme or reason to why these things happen, they just do. My Christmas wish this year is that no one ever has to lose a child again, at any stage in life.

 If only my wish really could come true.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry for the meaning of this date - I agree sometimes we try in vain to find meaning and there is none that we can determine. I hope this day passes you with peace and hope for your new adventure. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering Faith today...big hug & keeping that same wish in my heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking of you and Faith today! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you and Faith in my thoughts in prayers today.

    I've heard women say before when someone asks if its their first that they lost a baby in utero. Not sure if that's something you'd be comfortable with, but I know it lets a woman I know feel close to the child she lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that there's no reason; it's just the chaos of life. I've been thinking of you all day today, and I'm glad you posted this. Here's to Chiquitito's personal angel... Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the day was a little easier to get through. No doubt your little Faith is watching over you, and little Chiquitito.
    And what a wonderful Christmas wish - I'm adding it to my wishes as well.
    Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's a fair Christmas wish... I wish for that for you too friend. And am sending lots of love to you and BOTH your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure Faith is thinking about her mommy and brother, Chiquito too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so sweet to wish such a nice thing upon the world. And I'm glad Chiquitito is moving so much! How fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog and "delurking"

    I totally agree there is no "plan" for a miscarriage. It's random and senseless and what could possibly be the reason for it?

    ReplyDelete