Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Weekend Before Christmas

I was up this morning and out the door way earlier than usual on a Sunday – I had patients to see at the hospital, and a football game that started at 1. I was a little late for the game (sorry, Liz!), but still had a good time, especially since the Panthers finally remembered how to play football (or maybe it was that the Cardinals forgot?) I’m not sure if Chiquitito enjoyed the game or not, but he definitely moved around a lot whenever the crowd got really loud!

The game was a nice break from the tarps, paper floor coverings and dust that are everywhere in my condo right now. The guys have been great, and overall have done a wonderful job at keeping the mess at a minimum, but really, there’s no way to avoid it. Thank goodness they’re almost done! All that is needed is the finishing touches tomorrow, and then I have a cleaning service coming on Tuesday to clean things up and it’ll be finished. And then it’s time to get to finish the home redecorating, and get started on really getting my house ready for baby. These pictures are the last I’ll post until everything downstairs is finally the way I want it - hopefully it will look as good as I imagine it will.

freshly painted new wall

new chandelier

With everything a mess, it’s hard to visualize it ever looking good, though I know I’ll feel differently by tomorrow afternoon when it’s back to just my stuff again. But that’s the easy part; it’s the task of getting things ready for baby that is a little overwhelming. My condo doesn’t have good storage in the bedrooms or bathrooms, and even the kitchen cabinets are short on space. Somehow I’m going to have to find a way to rearrange all my mess in a way that makes it easy to accommodate baby stuff while being easy to keep neat. Now is when I really wish I had someone to help me with projects like these. Putting together my nursery should be fun, but also comes with its challenges. Since the nursery was originally an office, I’m going to have to figure out how to make a built in desk and bookshelves work with the baby theme. All good problems to have, I know, I’m not really complaining – just writing it all down helps me put it all in perspective. I think I’m going to take the time to put every project that needs to be done in a list, so that I can at least have the satisfaction of scratching each one off my list as I get it done. If I’m lucky, I might have them all done by May.

My parents are coming on Thursday to stay with me over Christmas, though we’ll probably be spending most of our time over at my sister’s house. I love my parents, and I’m looking forward to spending time with them, but I’m also dreading it. My mom has been weird lately – that whole issue deserves a post of its own that one day I might be brave enough to write it – which could make for a potentially difficult weekend. At least I’ll be around my nephews for most of that time, which should make up for any unpleasantness.

Now I really should be working on wrapping presents and cleaning up my stuff that has accumulated in my living room since most of the rest of my house has been unusable. The only bad thing about the tarps going away is that a wonderful source of entertainment for my cats will be gone, too. I’m not sure how I’m going to sleep without the sounds of crinkling plastic in the air every night.

And as an aside, the ASPCA commercials should be outlawed. Don’t they know the effect they have on hormonal pregnant women?

8 comments:

  1. Looks like great progress on the reno! Try not to worry about getting everything done in time by May...you'll get done what needs to be done & Chiquitito will be be happy with what ever his Mama does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remodel looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product. I can imagine how much will be on that list to prepare for Chiquitito's arrival. I have a list in my head of everything I know I need to do... and once I really get down to it - no doubt there is a lot I've not even considered needs to be done. Missed you today - we're going to try to get together in early January before Julie delivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the final product! And don't worry, things are so crazy with a baby that nothing would go where it's supposed to even if you had the storage space - you'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making lists, even if it is just to feel that sense of satisfaction when crossing off completed items. I also find that when things seem a little overwhelming, a list is a great way to put them in perspective and make them more manageable. Good luck with your mum, hopefully things will go smoothly. Have a lovely Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The renovation looks great so far! Good luck with the holidays with your family. Try not to stress too much. My family still hasn't let me know if they are coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the kitty on the steps! Your kitty cats are so cute in your construction pics. I can't wait to see the finished product b/c it already looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, talk of Panthers...are you also in Charlotte area? I don't think I ever knew where you lived!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The renovation is coming along nicely.... Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete