Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

One year ago today I was in Florida visiting my parents, the same place I am again this morning.  I had just had my first CD 3 (well, technically CD 2) ultrasound the day before, which is how I ended up standing in line at the pharmacy on New Year’s Eve with my dad, waiting to pick up my first Clomid prescription.  (That was definitely a surreal experience!)   I took my first Clomid pill on New Year’s Day 2010.  I was nervous, hopeful and excited.  And I had no idea what this year would bring.

I’m glad I didn’t know.  I’m glad I didn’t know that I’d feel so angry and bitter when the first two cycles didn’t work, and I had to take off a month of TTC to be able to attend a very dear friend’s baby shower in New York.  I would have hated knowing how quickly TTC would change my emotions and my perspective.  I’m glad I didn’t know that I would get a BFP on try #3 that would end in a heartbreaking miscarriage.  I’m glad I didn’t know how angry I would get at my pregnant patients who took their pregnancies for granted, smoking and eating whatever they wanted, not realizing what precious gift they were carrying.  I’m glad I didn’t know just how hard this year would be on me, because I’m not sure I would have had the courage to take that first pill on January 1st if I had.

But I didn’t know, and so I’ve also been able to enjoy the thrill of seeing baby boy parts on an ultrasound, the joy of feeling a kick or two while doing something unpleasant at work, the wonder of hearing a little heartbeat on my doppler every night.

But, at the same time, knowing from experience how things can go so wrong also has me terrified.  I'm not a natural worrier, so having this constant worry is foreign to me, and makes me worry even more.  What if something goes wrong with the pregnancy?  What if I have complications in delivery?  What if these worries are someone trying to tell me something?  What if.....?  The what ifs are driving me crazy.

I'm better than I was in August or September.  I am allowing myself to get truly excited about my pregnancy, and for the first time it's all starting to seem real.  But that worry still overshadows everything.  I accidentally hit myself in the stomach with a medicine ball yesterday, and I'm still poking and prodding and over-analyzing every twinge (being constipated and gassy at the same time certainly doesn't help matters!)  Would I have been as worried if I hadn't lost my first pregnancy?  Probably not.  But maybe.  Who knows?

I'm just going to have to accept it, becoming a mom means giving up ownership of my heart.  My heart now belongs to my son, and the worry won't ever go away, even when he's 40 years old with a family of his own.  I just need to find a way to get my non-worrying self to accept that this is a normal part of life, not my spidey-sense telling me that something wrong really is going to happen.  If I live my life worrying about the what ifs, I'm going to miss the wonderful things that are all around me here and now.

I guess I just found my New Year's Resolution, didn't I?  For 2011, I officially resolve to make sure that I enjoy life as it comes, and to not let worry about the future keep me from living in the moment.

Happy New Year, my friends!  I hope that 2011 brings us all love, joy and lots of healthy babies!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what a year 2010 has been. I don't have to tell you how much I can identify with you worries...but it's so important what you said, "If I live my life worrying about the what ifs, I'm going to miss the wonderful things that are all around me here and now" I really need to take that to heart too.

    I'm sure you've heard it before but I've read a quote on I think Stirrups Queen's blog, "When you decide to be a mother, you decide to have your heart walk aound outside your body" or something like that...

    Happy New Year, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post. Happy New Year, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I loved what you wrote about your heart now belonging to your son. That was simply beautiful expressed and so true. He's a very lucky boy!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year.. what a beautiful post. You are going to have a wonderful 2011.. and you are going to be busy with the baby boy.. Don't forget your blogsisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Shannon. I hope and pray it brings you nothing but happiness and joy. Life is a rollercoaster - it's bound to go down, but its also bound to come back up again. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all doctors worry excessively about their pregnancies. My pathologist friend (maternal/fetal path) worried constantly about chromosomal abnormalities; my neonatal friend worried about prematurity; my OB friend worried about birth asphyxia...As a GP I worry about all of the above too, and I am NOT EVEN pregnant yet!!

    It's hard to remember that in our professional life we usually see only the things that go wrong, and not so much of the things that go completely right. The human race is testament to the fact that things almost always go right.

    I laughed at the vision of you with your doppler :) You are so blessed Shannon. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and the excitement of meeting your little boy in May.

    Happy New Year!! Arohanui xx

    (PS. I responded to your comment, thanks for the great idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! 2011 here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year, Shannon. Yup, the worrying is just beginning. He's yours, and you are his. Seriously awesome ... but terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's crazy to me to think about how much life can change in a year. How much YOUR life has changed in a year! And how much more it is going to change next year! I mean, WOW!

    I can't wait to see what the next year holds for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year!!!!
    I'm a natural worrier, so now I'm worried that I'm going to over worry ;) Oh, so my kid will just live in a plastic bubble, I'm sure that will be alright :)
    Here's to a life changing 2011!

    ReplyDelete