I'm a neurotic mess - I admit it. Just a few days after my ultrasound I found myself worrying about how Chiquitita is doing. And so I rented one of those medical grade dopplers - which finally came tonight. (And by finally, I mean 1½ days after I ordered it, thanks to the extra fee for expedited shipping.) I had prepared myself for the thought that it might not work this early, even though my last ultrasound was transabdominal, but I spent all day today looking forward to hearing the heartbeat again.
I'd read that it was easier to hear a heartbeat if you have a full bladder, so I made sure I had plenty of water before I left work tonight. As soon as I got home, I tore into the box and barely read the instructions before I had the gel out and the probe on my tummy. I couldn’t hear a thing but my own heartbeat, no matter how slowly I scanned across, or how hard or deep I pushed. Finally, all the pressure made the urge to pee unbearable, so I gave up and went to the bathroom.
I'd read that it was easier to hear a heartbeat if you have a full bladder, so I made sure I had plenty of water before I left work tonight. As soon as I got home, I tore into the box and barely read the instructions before I had the gel out and the probe on my tummy. I couldn’t hear a thing but my own heartbeat, no matter how slowly I scanned across, or how hard or deep I pushed. Finally, all the pressure made the urge to pee unbearable, so I gave up and went to the bathroom.
But then I decided to try again, and settled back on the bed, bending my knees to relax my stomach a little more. It took a minute or two, but finally I heard it, that precious little heartbeat, pumping away at 170 beats per minute. I swear, it sounds like a little train in there, “chug chug chug chug.” Now I feel a little more relaxed, at least for tonight. I know I’ll be listening in again tomorrow, but this time with an empty bladder!












OMGosh, technology is so amazing. Capitalism at work. lol I really, really want to hear that little heartbeat too. How super exciters. ;)
ReplyDeleteFabulous. Wanted to rent one but was worried I'd become addicted and wear it on a belt so I could continuously hear the chug chug.
ReplyDeleteOh I would seriously have that thing strapped to me! There is no way I could walk away from that sound! :)
ReplyDeleteThese are some good ideas. Maybe you could invent one that stays strapped to you all the time and plays through your phone/earphones?
ReplyDeleteI'm fairly confident I'm going to do the same thing... I looove Heidi's idea. I'm sure someone is going to make an app for that very soon :)
ReplyDeleteIt is a good sound - like Paige I think I would be addicted to it too.
ReplyDeleteI think I'd get scared that if I wasn't hearing it all the time something was wrong. No way could I buy that thing, I'd end up not being able to leave the house. Maybe when you're able to feel her moving you'll feel safer. Sending out good vibes.
ReplyDeleteRandi
I say listen as often as you can! It'll keep your mind at ease & what a beautiful sound!!
ReplyDeleteAwww, you're already listening to Chiquita, what a lucky little one ;) Just think of all the things you have to look forward to hearing from him/her, their first cry, saying mama, and I love you--oh it's just the beginning of beautiful sounds :)
ReplyDelete