Thursday, October 7, 2010

Life at 10 Weeks


I’ve been feeling pretty icky the past few weeks, and while I know it could be so much worse, I’m ready to start feeling better.  My nausea comes and goes, but definitely seems to be better if I don’t overeat, and if I keep up ahead of heartburn with medication, which is sometimes hard to do.  Diet Canada Dry ginger ale helps, too.  I'm drinking at least one every afternoon, and it definitely makes the afternoon more bearable.  It’s the fatigue that’s the hardest to deal with – I’ve never been this tired for this long in my life – not even in residency!  I know fatigue is normal in the first trimester, but it's definitely worse becuase I’m not sleeping all that well, which is so unusual for me. 

I’ve had chronic hip issues for years, but in the past it’s only been bad when I’m doing a lot of running, so I never did more for it than the occasional massage or visit to the chiropractor.  Two weeks ago it got really bad, so bad I was waking up whenever I turned over in bed because it hurt so much.  So I broke down and saw a new chiropractor last Monday, and he’s wonderful.  But moving my hip bones around has caused everything else in my back to be sore, so I’m pretty much achy all the time, which is now the reason I’m having a hard time sleeping.  I had my fourth adjustment today, and it was the easiest one yet, so I’m hoping that the soreness is on its way out!  I'm also thinking that I might need to invest now in a good pregnancy body pillow.  I have no idea even where to look or what to get, but I bet I'd sleep better if I could find one I liked.

I told one of my partners, A, my news today.  He and I have been in practice together almost 6 years, and I really wanted to tell him before I share the news with my staff.  But I know he’ll be late on Monday morning, because he always is, and I won’t be able to wait a second after I get to work from my ultrasound, so I had to tell him today, since he’s off tomorrow.  I went into his office after everyone had left and told him I had something to tell him.  And he said, “I know, you’re pregnant.”  LOL!  But then I told him that I was 10 and a half weeks, and he was shocked.  “I can’t believe you’ve kept it a secret all this time!  I was expecting good news from you soon, but I didn’t think you’d be that far along.”  About a month ago he told me that he had a dream about me, and in the dream I was holding my baby.  So the next thing he said was, “When I told you about my dream, you were already pregnant!  And I never guessed.”

I told him that I was feeling good about things, but I was still feeling nervous about Monday’s ultrasound.  His reply was perfect.  “Your ultrasound will be good.  I’ve already predicted it.”  

10 comments:

  1. I love that you're getting to come out to co-workers now! It is going to make it so much more real! Hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada Dry was my saving grace in those early weeks too! Weird thing is, now I can't stomach it! I have a whole case just sitting in my fridge!

    I'm sure your U/S will be wonderful on Monday...I can't wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it's just about time to finish "coming out"... Good luck on Monday's ultrasound. Hopefully we'll catch up Monday night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear the news on Monday. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new "widget"! Look how cute Chiquitita is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay @ spill-the-beans day being so close...what fun its going to be and so happy you are at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to tell people my news!! I want to really have fun with it. I'll have to get some Canada Dry. I've been drinking 7Up, but let's face it, what I really want is an ice cold Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a crazy dream! LOL

    Get a Snoogle. I love love loved mine. I got it at BRU. If you need a coupon let me know I'm sure I've got one in my email. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww. . .how sweet of your partner :)

    ReplyDelete