Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Dark Side of Dopplers


If you read about getting a doppler, you’ll see that a lot of OBs recommend against it, because it’s likely to cause needless worry if you can’t find the heartbeat – especially earlier in pregnancy.  I knew this, and was prepared to not be able to find the heartbeat when I first got it.  What I was not prepared for was not being able to find Chiquitita’s heartbeat after having the doppler for 5 days.

Last night, I snuggled up with my cat and my doppler, ready to quickly check in on Chiquitita before bed.  Only I couldn’t find the heartbeat.  I’m pretty sure I tried for at least 20 minutes, scanning back and forth across my lower abdomen over and over again.  I tried to be calm, theorizing that I was having trouble because I was constipated, and there were….things….in the way keeping me from hearing the heartbeat.  I decided I would go to sleep and try again in the morning. 

I woke up a few times in the night, and was tempted to try then, but knew I’d never fall asleep if I did that, and so managed to hold off until my alarm went off.  I whipped out the doppler and the gel, but again, I couldn’t hear anything but my own heartbeat.  I went to the gym anyway, and spent the whole time trying to reassure myself that all was well, and being only slightly successful at it.  The workout helped out with my constipation issue, so when I got home, I tried the doppler again – and again – nothing!  Now I was really freaking out.  I felt like everything was ok, but after three tries and no success I was starting to worry that I was wrong, and something had happened to the baby.  Should I call the OB?  Should I call one of my friends?  What did I need to do?  I couldn’t imagine how I’d make it through the day with this sort of anxiety.  

Then, while I was in the shower, I realized that I can feel the top of my uterus now when I’m standing up.  That’s something that after an hour of searching with a doppler, I knew I couldn’t do lying down.  Once I’d dried off, I picked up the doppler again, and this time stuck the probe right at the top of my uterus while I was standing up.   And there it was, the beautiful little heartbeat, pounding away at 164 beats per minute.  At this point I was so wound up I actually felt my pulse to be sure it wasn’t my heartbeat I was picking up, and when I was sure it wasn’t, I almost passed out with relief. 

After all this drama, I’m still glad I got the doppler.  But I’m going to try really hard not to freak out as badly the next time I can’t find anything!  (I said try, that doesn’t mean I expect to succeed!)

In other news, I officially announced my pregnancy on Facebook today (after first checking in and making sure I could still hear the heartbeat tonight, of course).  I had originally planned on saying something like, “Shannon is pregnant.  And yes she’s still single, and yes it was on purpose,” but I decided that made me sound defensive, which I’m not at all.  So instead I went with this: “After years of thinking, months of planning, weeks of waiting and hours (and hours) in doctors’ offices, I’m so happy to be finally be able to say I am pregnant!”  I really can’t believe I’ve made it to the point where I can share my news with everyone.  Yay!

11 comments:

  1. So glad you found Chiquita this morning. Sorry that you had to deal with all the worry associated with the doppler. Doesn't it just make you wish we had a window to our wombs so we knew EXACTLY what was going on at any given moment?

    Congrats on making your pregnancy FB official! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, I hate the idea of you freaking out when you can't find the heartbeat. I know you're a little gun shy and who wouldn't be, but you're just a normal pregnant nut among other pregnant nuts out there. ;) Love you and try not to worry. It's not good for Hippity doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shannon! I would have been a total panic case! I'm so glad everything turned out OK and that you were able to announce your pregnancy too! So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you panicked! I know I would have...I know I HAVE for a lot less reasons! I was starting to get really concerned reading this & am so glad it had a happy ending!!

    Yeah for the FB announcement!! Can't wait to hear about the replies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine the panic. That was an amazing announcement - I am sure you are getting tons of Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. The pregnancy is facebook official. Awesome! Congrats and more congrats. And don't worry yourself sick with finding a heartbeat...things will be fine with little chiquita!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Congrats!! So HAPPY for you. Don't forget to tell us what replies you received on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Baby is officially facebook official! That's a big step and I'm so excited for you to have made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have totally freaked out too! I'm so glad you were able to find that sweet heartbeat. FB official, yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is late-but congrats on going public ;) I think I would too become addicted to the doppler, and would def freak out if I couldn't hear the heartbeat. Though I'm not sure if I would know that my uterus had grown and would surely still not have found it and be freaking out! So glad that Chiquita was able to let you know he/she's just fine and growing!

    ReplyDelete