Thursday, May 12, 2016

5 Years Old

And suddenly, I'm the mom to a 5 year old.  Five.
He chose his outfit for our trip to Build-A-Bear

Five.

This has been a challenging year for both of us, but I'm figuring out how to adapt my parenting style to adapt to his needs, and I think we're finally hitting good solid ground.  One of the reasons I haven't written much lately is because much of what is on my mind is our relationship...and it doesn't feel right to post this on a public forum any longer.

But I can share a few things that Finn loves right now:

  • Darth Vader and all things Star Wars
  • Special Agent Osso
  • Chocolate
  • Making a mess (he called me earlier today saying "Mommy! I need a towel!" and before I could respond he added, "I know, again!")
  • Cooking
  • Helping in the garden
  • His brother
  • Putting on "shows" for whoever will watch
These first 5 years have been exhausting, terrifying, joyful and wonderful.  I can't wait to see what the next 5 have in store!


8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Finn! Five years old! Where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, sweet Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Finn!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIVE???!!! That's such a big number! (For some reason I thought he and Sidekick are the same age but Sidekick is a year behind.) I can't believe Finn will be going to kindergarten in fall! Happy birthday, big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share your reasoning for cutting back on blogging. Finn's and Carys' diagnoses were within a day of each other in 2011. Amazing to think of how scared we both were then, and where we and our kids are now. So fortunate. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute outfit! I want to see the bears they built. :) I'm glad you're finding ways to adapt and hopefully find more harmony with Finn. I know some kids just have a more energetic personality and/or have stronger needs that can definitely be challenging at times - I've seen it with my brother and sister-in-law and their two daughters. The first-born required a lot more attention and energy for whatever reason. I sometimes say, "She's a real firecracker!" ha In any case, sending care and admiration for your journey and your efforts to adapt. I think you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete