Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Sad Tail

I was in the middle of interviewing a candidate for a physician's assistant job over lunch when I got the text from the nanny.

"Finn is going to be late for school."

"He slammed the door on Vader's tail."

I responded: "Is Vader ok?"

"Hold on. Um, no. He's going to need the vet. There's exposed bone."

The whole story (which I heard hours later, after I dealt with a plumbing issue that manifested in one of my patients almost getting a load of dirty toilet water from the office upstairs dumped on her head, saw some patients, stood as moral support and official photographer at the birth of a friend's baby and then delivered a 1 hour dinner lecture on diabetes management) was that Finn had been told to close the back door when it was time to leave for school.

"Close the door, Finn!" Finn complied by slamming the door just as the dog was running through.

Nanny M said she could tell something was wrong by the way the dog took off running.  She went to check on him, and when she opened the door, a one inch piece of his tail fell to the ground.  Nanny M got an upset Finn to school, and then took Vader to the vet, where the verdict was surgery.  So the next day, they cut off the exposed bone, sewed it up, and sent Vader home to heal.  And I'm pretty sure Vader is even more convinced that he was a horrible dog in a past life to deserve us as his forever family.

A few days later, I had some friends over and we held a small funeral for Vader's tail.  Finn said a few words, "Vader used to have a longer tail, a nice tail. But now part of it is gone. I will miss it," and then dropped the tail in the hole. I planted a forsythia bush above it, and we stood in a circle around the bush while I said a brief prayer. "Dear God, please help Vader heal well from this tragic accident, and not be in any more pain. Please help Finn to remember to never slam a door. Please let this forsythia bush grow big and healthy, so we can look at the beautiful flowers every spring and remember when Vader's tail was whole." (I might have giggled a bit at that last part.) There was an enthusiastic "Amen!" from all the attendees, and then we headed back inside to eat cupcakes brought by one of my friends who said, "I wasn't sure what to bring to a tail funeral, but I figured you could never go wrong with cupcakes."

The remaining part of Vader's tail has fully healed and he seems to be doing fine.  Though I've noticed that he now refuses to go out a door if Finn is standing anywhere near it.


11 comments:

  1. Holding Vader's tail in the light... May the memory of his tail be a blessing.

    :>
    (I hope that's a wink. I'm not good with emoticons.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Vader's recovering.

    We had a cut whisker incident.

    Kids and pets...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! I hope all heal mentally and physically. I wouldn't know what to bring to a tail funeral either, but cupcakes do seem appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!! May the forsythia grow big and healthy...

    When I was pregnant with Elsie my cat got his head smushed by the closing elevator doors. My friend came into my apartment to find me 7 months pregnant lying on my bedroom floor crying because I could reach under the bed to check the cat. The cat was fine but never went near the elevator again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - glad everyone is getting past the incident and Vader is healed. Yes he wont be trusting Finn with the door for a while ;-) I have to admit I did chuckle at the tail funeral!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite the day you had! All's well that ends well? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant. Seriously brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, glad you got through that - it was a little hard to read as I'm very physically empathetic. ouch! Poor Vader. But yes, all's well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think about Vadar and his tail or lack thereof often. How are y'all?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, just catching up on things I've missed. Poor Vadar.. but lol.
    Wow, you're boys have gotten so big. It's so hard to believe so much time has passed.

    ReplyDelete