Sunday, December 28, 2014

Worst Vacation Ever

That title might be a slight exaggeration, as my entire week of vacation didn't suck, but the first half did.  Within hours of getting to my parents' house last Saturday afternoon, I got sick.  I started with a fever, then diarrhea, then more fever, whole body aches, more diarrhea, and then vomiting and more fever.  I can't remember when I last felt so bad, and most of the first few days were a blur. On Tuesday morning, I did something I've never done before - I went to the ER.  Luckily it wasn't too terribly busy, so I was back in room with an IV and nausea meds within an hour.  I got two liters of fluid, some more nausea medications and was sent home feeling a little less like I was about to die.

My family watched Finn for me while I felt so awful, of course, but Zachary was still mostly dependent on me, as he had meltdowns whenever I left the room.  Amazingly I only had one day that my milk supply seemed compromised, and that was the day I felt the worst.  I suspect the IV fluids contributed to boosting my supply back.

By Christmas Day I was back to feeling normal, and even joined the family for dinner for the first time all week.  The last few days of vacation were what I had hoped for - time to visit with my sister and her family who I have missed so very much, and the joy of watching our boys play together.

Christmas stockings
I do feel somewhat rested...as rested as a person can feel after a week of sharing a creaky double bed with two boys, that is.  The entire week Zachary was not able to self soothe any time he woke up, which has me worried, but a few minutes ago he woke up crying and put himself right back to sleep, so I'm hoping he's back on track now that we're home.

It's almost the end of December, and I've barely posted any of my 365 project pictures this month.  I'll fix that before the end of the year!  In the meantime, I'm going to go take advantage of my soft (but crowded) bed and and get some sleep.

cousins ready for an expedition

digging in the sand

the best pic I could get of the 3 of us

beach baby

me and my sis

10 comments:

  1. Oh no! So sad to hear you were SO sick. This is just a bad bad year of illnesses going around for sure. Great though you got to spend a little quality time with your family. I love the boys' stockings too. Hope you and the boys stay healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry you were sick! I know this winter won't pass without at least one episode like this for us, but ugh! Thankfully the boys were healthy, huh? Glad you're recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blech that sounds horrible!! So sorry you went through that. Looks like boys did have a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you were sick, and honestly not a bit surprised. You're supermom/superwoman every second of Every. Single. Day. And though you intend to take advantage of time with friends/family to take time for yourself, you never really do. Quote from post after Tgiving: "We're at the beach this weekend with my parents, and I managed about 30 minutes alone to walk on the beach yesterday.  I also went to bed an hour early last night, took a nap this afternoon, and plan on going to bed early tonight, too.  It's not much, but it's a start."

    Your body knows. It's like it says to itself, "Yep. She's among people who will care for her. It's time to shut this madness down for a while." It sucks - because why can't it just be a reeeealllly long nap rather than a fever, vomiting, and a trip to the ER? (Probably because you wouldn't have listened to anything else.) I'm so glad you were with people who could easily step in and take care of everyone. Never as good as Supermom, of course. But almost.

    But seriously. How cute are those boys in their expedition outfits?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the picture of the boys digging in the sand was actually them digging in snow and I thought wow, they're either really tough or really crazy to be out there without coats, hats, and gloves! Then I read the caption - doh!
    Sorry you were sick. That kind of illness sucks any time, but especially while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound awful! You poor thing. I'm glad it didn't completely ruin your holiday. H had his first cold over Christmas, cut his first two teeth, and broke out in terrible eczema all over his body (attributed to his mum giving him his first baby muesli & spaghetti bolognese. I have now excluded wheat, dairy & tomato from his diet in the hope that it'll settle). 3 more weeks and I'll be trying for number two... All the best for 2015 Shannon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awful - glad family was there to step in and you asked for help. Hope you are enjoying the rest of the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck for being so sick! Glad you were able to enjoy Christmas with your family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yuck. Well, I'm glad it was all over by Christmas, at least. But yeah, what a crummy way to start a vacation. Good that you had help, though. And glad you were able to spend time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO sorry….that is awful awful. the worst sickness ever, too. It always seems like we as moms get it worse than the kiddos. Which is good in some ways, but worse in many others! My kids all got a cold/cough over christmas break and are healthy & happy again, and mine is STILL lingering all settled deep in my chest. blech. So glad you got to enjoy some of Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete