![]() |
| Helping prepare dinner (using his play hammer to crush crackers) |
There's not a lot I can do to spend more time at home, but I have made one small step - in July I'll start seeing patients 20 minutes earlier in the morning and finish 20 minutes later in the afternoon (I did this once already last year, so this will put me leaving work 40 minutes earlier than I did a year ago, which translates into getting home 50 minutes earlier, as I'll miss the worst of rush hour traffic). Next year, when I quit pumping, I'm thinking about shortening my lunch time as well, so I can leave even earlier.
Getting home earlier will make it possible for us to eat dinner together as a family. But I don't want to wait for July to be able to do that. And when July gets here, I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen every evening, and I really don't want to do carry out or prepackaged foods every night, either.
So I've started working on my cooking skills. While Jennie has been here, we've cooked most nights, trying out new recipes and freezing quite a few meals, as well. Not all of them are the healthiest, but they're good and made with fresh ingredients, so they've got to be healthier than what I've been doing in the past. Over the past few years, I've become convinced that portion sizes play a huge role in how healthy something is, and that a high fat main dish can be made much healthier by serving a smaller portion with a lot of fruits and veggies on the side. That's always the hardest for me - making sure I get my fruits and veggies. In a typical day my son will eat more fruits and veggies than I eat in an entire week. (And after reading this recent study that suggests a diet high in fruits and vegetables decreases your risk dying, I'm even more motivated to work on this!)
Finn absolutely adores cooking. He loves to help whenever he can, and then when we eat the finished product, he likes to say something like, "This is really tasty. Who made this? Mommy and I did!" He's such a great eater (most of the time) and already recognizes things like garlic and onions and freshly grated parmesan cheese, so I'd like to encourage his love of food and cooking by involving him in making meals as much as possible, too. My mom is a great cook, but never liked having us in the kitchen, so my sister and I never really learned anything about cooking from her at all. I do understand why she never had us join her. It is distracting, and sometimes frustrating, to have a toddler working in the kitchen with me, but seeing the joy he gets out of it makes it worth it for me. And I think he's more likely to try new foods if he was involved in cooking them.
![]() |
| We need to work on hand cleanliness while cooking |
The only fast and easy meals I can think of now involve using already prepared ingredients (like make your own pizza with store bought pizza dough), but I figure if I do something like that just once a week, then I should be able to come up with some good choices for other nights of the week. And I've found what may be a great recipe for shredded chicken that will allow me to freeze chicken for use in recipes during the week, cutting down the prep time significantly.
It's unlikely that this blog would ever become a cooking blog, but I'm thinking of sharing some of my recipe finds here, including how I involved my boys in the cooking. And I'd really love if you'd share some of your go-to meals in the comments or on your own blogs, whichever category they might fall into (though quick weeknight meal ideas would be especially welcome!)














I love cooking with J. It both makes me want to pull my hair out and spend more time in it with him. A favorite of ours when I'm not cooking is pasta mixed with various veggies. If you cut them up ahead of time, he can dump them in a pot with noodles and be done in minutes or just topped with cheese and pesto. He likes crockpot pulled pork which can go with anything (but we're veggies now so...). Veggie patties (various veggies mixed with egg or something to hold it together) and baked is good too. Even better when its heated up later. Anyway, I love cooking but I love it more when my freezer is full and I can just pull something out in the mornings.
ReplyDeleteI've definitely heard that involving your kids in the actual preparation of the food makes them more likely to eat it, also it's great to start them early on the skills of cooking. Funny, I recognize the hat Finn is wearing (it's from a company I've been in charge of at work!) Anyway, I'm afraid I can't think of any quick recipes at the moment but I look forward to hearing more of your stories about cooking with the kids!
ReplyDeleteOh, so there is hope that someday my kids will want to help me in the kitchen, rather then wail at my feet! Thanks for that. I look forward to your sharing. I would like to cook more for my kids too.
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't already, check out Dinner: A Love Story (http://www.dinneralovestory.com/). Great website. Her book is great too. Full of accessible, doable recipes. Her new book (not out yet, I think) is geared toward helping people develop plans for making dinner nightly.
ReplyDeleteI am a terrible cook so I am no help right now. My DH does most of try cooking. I admire your desire to learn more!! I might new to follow suit. I will be following along = )
ReplyDeleteI love cooking and I cannot wait to get Beanie involved in the kitchen, like you are doing with Finn. I am trying to get back to eating healthy and cooking more nowadays for myself.
ReplyDeleteI look ffd to seeing recipes. One easy one I have is a crock pot one - Cilantro Lime Chicken - put some chicken breasts in a crockpot, one jar of salsa, fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze a lime. Easy and yummy to eat with rice or tacos. I add black beans and corn to make it more robust.
What I try to do is prepare all my produce as soon as I get home from the market - I'll dice onion, slice peppers into strips, and so forth. That way I have the option of tossing a salad, making a quick stir-fry, making veggie soup or pasta with veggies - just add a little protein and you're set. All of those meals take less than fifteen minutes if the veggies are cut up before hand. My favorite "fast food" meal is thick sliced tomatoes sprinkled with olive oil and parm, broiled with fish - I've always used tilapia but I'm hearing bad things about it - any fish would work - when I take the hot fish and tomatoes out of the oven I plate them on fresh spinach. The heat wilts the spinach. This takes less than ten minutes and it's really good. I also like to do chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad and rotate those for lunch or dinner during the week. One last thing... I make a turkey veggie meatloaf that is half ground turkey, half mushed chickpeas and add in TONS of produce - beets, squash, apples or pears, carrots, cabbage. When it's cooled I wrap separate servings in plastic wrap and then I just have to heat it up and eat it. I was a single working mom with three boys so I had to learn how to feed them fast on a budget. They all grew up to be great cooks so I must have done something right!
ReplyDeleteThe absolute easiest thing I do is chicken + jarred sauce in the crockpot (bbq, salsa, etc). I also roast a large batch of veggies on the weekend and dole out over the week.
ReplyDeleteI love the chocolate fingers photos, and your goals to eat together. BB actually doesn't like a big meal in the evenings, he prefers a snack plate of things like avocado, cheese, meat, cucumber, corn, beetroot, and berries, so that's always quick and easy to throw together. I have a sausage casserole recipe on my blog that we do a variation of every couple of weeks if we are going to be out, but on the whole I find he prefers things quite simple. Meat and 3 veg suits him fine. We ready most of the veggies, then they can cook unsupervised while we play. You could prepare them in advance.
ReplyDeleteBB loves to help in the kitchen too, and has done from an early age. I do think it has helped him have an appreciation of good food.
On a totally separate note, I can't believe that you have to go back to work so quickly. We are lucky in the uk in that respect.
I, too, need to learn how to cook. I'm terrible! I make pasta and call that cooking... :)
ReplyDeleteSo, I'm looking forward to the recipes you'll share, and hope you can motivate me to get into the kitchen, too.
Love this post! What a healthy and fun thing to do for your family. Please please please share some of your recipes. I have tried to do this in the past with average success... I have a hard time finding freezer meals or quick meals that have any flavor. They all tend to be so bland. I need new recipes, and I don't know a thing about how to spice up a bland recipe. I will post a couple of good ones that are my go-to though when I can't possibly come up with anything new. I will try to do that this week.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to your recipes! Ah, yes, we moms have to get creative with our schedules. We can't work less, so we have to work smarter! Hope your plan helps out!
ReplyDeleteEven without my having a child, I look forward to your recipes, etc, I need to do more cooking.
ReplyDeleteWe do a lot of quick meals, but I don't do much of the cooking. We're going to try to freeze a bit this go around. Our downfall is that the majority of our meals are carb-based. I love the idea of a Crock-Pot, but I don't like much of what comes out of it. I do freeze the ready-marinated pot roast from Trader Joe's and that literally gets thrown into the Crock-Pot seasoned and yummy. It tastes better if you brown it first, but I hate cooking before using the Crock-Pot. I went on The Pioneer Woman's website and am taking advantage of a lot of her recipes for freezing. Some of them are healthy (in the freezing post anyway).
ReplyDeleteThe kid definitely eats healthier than we do. She loves fruit and raw veggies. She loves helping to cook/bake. I have to force her to eat meat a lot of the times, but she eats eggs so sometimes I'll rationalize that she gets protein that way as long as she doesn't just eat junk. That's when the pickiness comes in handy - she doesn't eat a lot of junk food, doesn't like French fries.
I have recipes on my blog, but I can't think of any that are easy AND healthy. There are a couple of really good salads and, if you keep the dressing separate, can be eaten over time and stored. I'm a big fan of freezing meat loaf, meatballs (for sauce or sandwiches or anything). Banana bread for surprise company or a nice treat. I have some in the freezer now. Of course, in a few months, baby food freezes very well.
My favorite tip is to put your veggies IN the main dish - you eat more than if they're on the side. Tuna noodle casserole, soups, stir frys and tacos are three quick examples. I also like freezing leftover pasta sauce in ice cube trays so I can pop out as many as I need. Otherwise we can't go through a jar of the store-bought stuff before it molds.
ReplyDeleteI make dinner every night and it's rarely convenience food, so that's one area of single parenting I feel especially accomplished. :)
I love cooking, but I have a hard time making things J will eat (C is less picky). I have not found that involving him in the cooking really helps. I've mainly found success in hiding things by grating them into sauces. He does love baking cookies, though, so that's something we do together.
ReplyDelete