| Simba got an ID band, too! |
Since he wasn't going for the MRI until 10, they had him do his ultrasound first (usually they do it after the MRI, when he's still sedated). The ultrasound tech was incredibly nice, and said that he'd scanned Finn before, but always when he was asleep. Finn did not want to have anything to do with the ultrasound, though, so it took a lot of coaxing from both of us to get him to cooperate. What finally worked was the tech suggesting that I put the probe on Finn's tummy first, and after that he was completely fine.
After the ultrasound was over, I told Finn to say thank you and he said, "Thank you for doing my ultrasound." So cute!
Surprisingly, we had almost no wait after that for the MRI. The anesthesiologist was one we'd never had before, and he said he preferred doing the sedation without Versed (after the last guy pretty much refused to go without Versed). So I walked with them to the door, but they wouldn't let me into the MRI room, so I had to leave him crying and upset, though the anesthesiologist reassured me that they were ready with the anesthesia and that he'd only cry for a minute. THAT was AWFUL.
But the post-MRI experience was incredibly easy, without Versed on board. Finn wasn't crying, though it was clear he had been before I got there (I'm pretty sure the nurse waited too long to call me post-scan) and he was very clear headed. He told me they'd just taken something off his mouth that he didn't like because it made his mouth hurt but that it didn't hurt anymore, and that he wasn't scared. Oh, and that I couldn't pick him up until they got "all this stuff off me." It was harder for the nurse to check all his vitals than usual, as he cried about everything, even though nothing hurt, and then he really cried when they took off the tape to remove his IV. But then he was pretty ok after that, and didn't seem upset at all with me holding him.
![]() |
| Right after we got to recovery |
We got the results just a few hours after we left the doctor's office - all look stable! So we get a nice long break from MRIs - the next one won't be until August! And then after that, we go to annual scans until he's 7. That's a long time to follow this, but so wonderful to know that we've almost graduated to once a year scans.
My dad went with us, and it was so nice to have someone there with me, as well as to have someone who could carry Finn, since there's no way I could have done that much carrying right now.
Such a huge feeling of relief, every time one of these is over and the report is good. A very, very good start to 2014!













Hooray for another clean scan!!! What a wonderful way to start the year!
ReplyDeleteWonderful news!
ReplyDeleteWow...that's great! Nice to have some family support with you.
ReplyDeleteYeah!! Great news!!
ReplyDeleteYay yay yay!! Great news for everyone today! Glad the anesthesia went better, too. Fiona, too, always says "Thank You!"after a blood draw-- the phlebotomists say kindof quizzically, "uh, you're welcome?!" Ha! Love our little troopers!
ReplyDeleteAwesome news! :-)
ReplyDeleteThat's wonderful news!
ReplyDeleteOh, Shannon, that's wonderful news! Yay!!! :-) Celebration time!
ReplyDeleteAlso wanted to tell you that I really liked your year recap in the last post. It's cool to see everything listed out like that - lots can happen in a year! I think I will do that for my year, too. Glad that you guys will be moving in to the new house before baby brother arrives.
Yay!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat news! Happy New Year to your growing family!
ReplyDeleteGreat news! Happy New Year to your growing family!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome news! A great start to the New Year for you all!
ReplyDeleteA fabulous start to 2014!!!! SO thankful for continued great reports and a nice long break before the next one!!!! Glad it went as smoothly as it could have.
ReplyDeleteGreat news for 2014. Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteAwesome news! Finn is such a trooper. I can imagine how incredibly hard it must be for you to see him get IVs put etc. Glad its now going to be several months and then even longer for scans. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so glad the results of the MRI were good and that everything looks stable. I'm sorry Finn had a lot of crying though. Still, as you said, a great start to 2014!
ReplyDeleteThat is fantastic news!
ReplyDeleteWonderful news for the new year.
ReplyDeleteYeah for such good results! I just love the photo of the two of you & the way Finn is looking at you!
ReplyDeleteOh YAY!!! So glad you got this year off to a good start... I bet it stays that way!!! Go Finn with being such a great patient, and SO happy to hear the scan was stable.
ReplyDeleteFantastic news!!!!
ReplyDeleteYes--great news and such a polite little boy! Wishing you all the best for 2014!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the good news!!
ReplyDeleteyay Finn! wonderful news! What a trooper!
ReplyDelete