While awake in the middle of the night with some fun pregnancy insomnia a few nights ago, I made a mental list of all the big things that have happened this year, and I think I need to write them down here so I can remember what a crazy year this has been.
- Learned my last attempt at IUI hadn't worked, despite lots of supplements and dietary changes to promote fertility
- Decided to skip IVF with my OE due to low chance of it working, and made the decision to go with donor eggs
- Struggled with learning how to parent my two year old - it's still a challenge, but I feel like I've finally figured out a few things that work well with us, and am better able to avoid some of the meltdowns and fights that were so rough earlier in the year
- Said good-bye to my sweet Vagus on the same day that a sperm met an egg and became my Chimichanga
- Took lots of hormones to prepare for embryo transfer and was thrilled to get a BFP!
- Endured a miserable first trimester with bone deep fatigue and crippling nausea that felt like it would never end
- Was disappointed to learn that my second baby was going to be another boy, and then suddenly found myself having a hard time imagining life any other way, and feeling so happy and excited to be welcoming another boy into the family
- Studied long hours to recertify in endocrinology and then waited months before learning that I'd lucked out and managed to pass
- Decided that boards, a two year old, and pregnancy weren't enough to occupy me for the second half of the year, and signed a contract to build a house
- Today, the last day of the year, I officially closed on my new house!
For years I've dreamed of being the mom to two kids in a warm and inviting house in a nice little neighborhood. I can't believe that as of next Friday I'll be in that house, and just 4 weeks later I'll be welcoming my second child into the world. I know that there are going to be some really hard days ahead, and that 8 weeks from now I might be a frazzled, sleep deprived, sobbing mess with unwashed hair and two screaming children. But even then, I'll be a contented, frazzled, sobbing mess. At least I hope I will be. I hope I can remember how much I've longed for this life, and I hope I can be patient with myself as a mom and a person as I learn to parent two children as a single mom.
Wishing all of you a wonderful 2014, with love, happiness, fertility and children who sleep through the night.












It really has been a busy year! Hopefully all the hard work you have put in will result in the perfect new home, a calm easy going baby, and the best big brother ever! Wishing you a happy new year!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year, Shannon! My resolution for 2014 is merely to survive it as I'm sure having a new baby and a two year old will probably the hardest thing I've ever endured! I'll save the get in shape/save money/pursue hobbies-type resolutions for later! And I'm ok with that!
ReplyDeleteHappy Happy New Year Shannon!! You are blessed!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post - you were so productive in so many ways this year! You and wottadoll are correct!-- next year with an infant and a 2 year old will be really hard -- but soooo worth it. I look forward to reading your year-in-review post a year from now!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the new home and Happy New Year! You have had such a busy year and accomplished so much. You can look back at 2013 and know you are one strong mama!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! May 2014 be the year of amazing things! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is one big year! All the best for 2014 - I think it will be your grounding year after your year of transit.
ReplyDeleteWow, What. A. Year!!! Congrats on making it through, and making it through well... And in one piece! Congrats also on the house, and I can't wait to say congrats on Chimi's birth. Here's to making your dreams come true!! Happy new year!!
ReplyDeleteHappy new year! What a busy and exciting start to the new year. I am so excited to follow you this year. And to find out if and when you will have the time to blog so I can take some tips from you.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! Thank you for your journey and your courage, you give me strength on this rocky road.
ReplyDeleteWeylin
www.wishingawayinfertility.blogspot.com
Wow, I can't believe you did all that in one year! 2014 will probably be a crazy one for you, too, but I hope it's a good one.
ReplyDeleteWhat a year!! I love your wishes for everyone...especially the part about kids sleeping through the night, cute.
ReplyDeleteYou are a rockstar!!! Lots of adjustments and transitions ahead, but it is going to settle into so much joy in your cozy new house with two boys growing up and having fun together :) Lots of grace to you, mama, in the days and weeks ahead with unpacking and adjusting to two little ones.
ReplyDelete