Sunday, October 20, 2013

Moving - Part 1

Cousins being goofy
My sister and her family live about 30-40 minutes from me - our boys are close, and Finn adores the entire family.  J and I grew up far away from our extended family, and barely know any of our cousins, so we've loved the fact that our boys are growing up together.  It's been such a joy watching them grow up together, watching D mature into his role as big brother/big cousin, and seeing Finn and O become buddies (who have the most infectious giggles you've ever heard when they get each other going).

J has been in a miserable job for years - drastically underpaid compared to her coworkers, but working longer hours than she ever anticipated. (Can you guess where this is heading?)  A few months ago her old boss contacted her and told her that his new company was hiring, was she interested?  She wasn't sure, but went forward with the application process, was offered the job (less hours, much more pay) and accepted it.  Her new job is in Texas.  Over 1000 miles away.

She leaves this week and starts her new job next Monday, and then will be back in mid-November to pick up the rest of the family and move them all.  We'd planned on getting the boys together today for one last trip to the pumpkin patch, but then her oldest came down with a nasty stomach bug, so that plan was cancelled.  We're not going to be able to meet up this week before she leaves...and it's not clear that we'll have time to meet up when she's here for her quick trip next month, either.  Realistically, it may be 1-2 years before we all spend quality time together again as a family.  After seeing them every month (at a minimum) for the past 8 years, I'm really going to miss them.

I'm so happy for her, it's such a great opportunity and really is the best thing for her family. I know it's going to be hard transition for them all, but once they're settled, the extra money and extra time at home are going to make it all worth it. And yet I'm so sad that she's going to be so far away.  I can barely even think about it without crying.

Maybe it's a good thing Finn and I went to the pumpkin patch alone this year - at least there were no tears.

14 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry :-(

    Adorable photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks! I know it is good for your sister and her family, but it is hard knowing that it won't be all like you planned for all the boys. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shannon, how sad. I'm so sorry you won't live close to your sister anymore and be able to see her and her family too often. It's good, though, that you can see the positive in her move, that it will be a good thing for her family. I'm sure you'd do the same thing for your family... You, Finn, and Chimi will have many, many amazing times together in the coming years, with or without extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, that sucks! I know if my sister told me she was moving even further away than the 3000 miles she is now, I'd have a heart attack

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks...so sad. I'm really sorry you're losing the close proximity with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's so difficult especially with so many changes coming up. Kids are adaptable, but it's harder on the grown ups. Can you Skype or FaceTime at least?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely a difficult transition, not only for her and her family but also for you and Finn. I guess it will be a little over shadowed with the new little bambino in a few months, but it is definitely sad when you have been able to spend so much time together. But you are right...it is best for her and her family and will be all worth it.

    On the other hand, the photo of Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that stinks! Especially with a new baby on the way. I'm sorry for you! What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good professional move for your sister but so hard to have her move away from you and Finn. I'm half a country away from my family and I do miss having them see all of the cute and sweet things Rowan does. Hopefully you will find a way to see them on a frequent basis even if it is via Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sad for you. It's bitter sweet because you are genuinely happy for her at the same time. The picture of Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sucks! :( I was just thinking today how I'm glad that I don't have a job that would ever require me to move to a different location. I hope the move works out well for her in terms of her job, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post broke my heart. It's so tough when you know she is pursuing a really great opportunity but at the same time that decision makes if feel as if someone is stomping on your heart. So tough. We have some friends that we Skype with on a regular basis and the boys love it because they can essentially have a "play date" together and we are over a 1000 miles away. So I am a big Skype fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so so so hard. thinking of you lots

    ReplyDelete