| I must have all my toys in the pool! |
Friday morning was a rough morning of epic proportions. Finn woke up before 6am (we don't have to get up until 6:45). "Good morning, Mommy!" For a few minutes he was content to play a game on my phone, but then, "I have to poopy, Mommy!" So up we went. He sat on the toilet and while he did pee, there was no poop. He then ran around naked for a little bit, but then came in to my room with his shorts and wanted to get dressed. I had an idea. "Why don't you put on underwear, instead?" So he went to his room, got his underwear and managed to put it on himself. (As an aside, I had no idea how exhausting it was to be with a child who wants to do EVERYTHING HIMSELF. Even the things he can't possibly do. EVERYTHING.) The epic struggle to put on his underwear with no help from mommy ended with a triumphant, "I did it!" a huge hug and kiss for me.
With a reminder that if he needed to poop, he should let me know so he could go on the potty, I got in the shower. I got out of the shower to find my powdered eyeshadow all over the counter (and on Finn). While I cleaned this up, I let him out on the porch off my bedroom to play. I was putting on my makeup when he came running in, "I have to go poo!" I started to take off his underwear, and then got suspicous, reached out and felt his butt...yep. There was poo.
Have you ever tried to take underwear full of poo off a two year old? It never ends well. I got the underwear halfway down his legs and - plop - the whole big pile of poo fell onto the floor (conveniently on top of his pajama bottoms). After I'd flushed that and wiped the poop off my arm and his legs, I sent him back out on the porch, with a strict warning to come back in if he felt like he needed to potty again.
But I quickly grew suspicious (running theme these days), and stuck my head out the door to find him peeing on the floor. At least it was outside and I was able to clean it easily. But that won him a fresh diaper and the end of running around naked.
In what I am sure was an act of defiance, he managed to open the bathroom closet door and get out some of his lotion. Which he covered himself in - but only after dumping out half the contents of a bottle of hand sanitizer all over the floor.
At this point it was almost 8am. Nanny M walked in the door as I was carrying him and his dirty laundry down the stairs. I've never been so relieved to be able to hand him over to her as I was on Friday morning!
Of course, he stood at the door and waved, yelling "I love you!" and "Bye-bye! See you later!" and "Peace out!" while blowing kisses as I drove away.
******
I'm still feeling pretty crappy. Usually it's just a constant low grade nausea, but there's waves of much more intense nausea that hit at random times and just about knock me over. I'm not a thrower-upper, so I've managed to avoid that so far, but I've come pretty close. What really worries me is that I'm only 8 weeks tomorrow, so there's still a chance it could get worse. I am lucky that while this nausea is a lot worse than it was with Finn, it's not debilitating, so while I'm not feeling up to doing much of anything, especially in the heat, at least I'm not lying on the floor unable to move for fear of throwing up.
I've also been having a lot of spotting. It's been pretty constant this entire pregnancy, but usually just pink or brown. Today it was more a dark red - still spotting, mainly on my Crinone (I know, gross) and not when I wipe. Spotting can happen in normal pregnancies, but it's impossible not to worry about it, especially since there was a definite change today. My next ultrasound is Friday and I'm trying hard not to feel anxious about it. The second ultrasound seems to be the magic scan - if all is well with the second scan, then all will be well with the pregnancy. (I know that's not completely true, but it does make me feel better.)
I have also worried about how I'll feel about this baby compared to Finn. Will I love him/her as much as I do Finn? Will I feel sad that he/she doesn't share my genetics? I've read before that your heart expands with each child, that your capacity to love grows as each new child is added to the family. I'm starting to see that's true - the fear I feel when I think of losing this pregnancy is much more than the fear of having to do all this again, it's the fear of losing this little baby - this Chimichanga - that I've already come to love so much.












It sounds exhausting dealing with all the physical and emotional stuff that's on your plate right now. I hope you get good news at your next scan, and thanks for the "twos" warning. :)
ReplyDeleteThis makes me dread the idea of potty training...so not looking forward to that.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to hearing about your appointment on friday!
Oh, I wanted to say something about the lack of genetic ties. If it makes any sense, I almost feel like I love Felix more and accept everything about him with more of an open mind because he isn't biologically of me...like the honor of being his mom is too great for me to dislike the little things. I hope that doesn't sound super cheesy. It's the best way I can explain it.
ReplyDeleteThe best of times, the worst of times, huh? If it makes you feel any better I have now twice walked into a room to discover B covered in his own poop (and his toys...and bedding...and playpen...and and and). For now I've stopped it by putting on tight pants he can't easily pull down...but I know the days of that are numbered. Don't even know how I'm going to handle potty training. No clue at all.
ReplyDeleteI hope your nausea stays manageable! Did you ever try the unisom/B6 combo? I'm totally busting it out this time if I need it. Curious to see if it actually works.
Finn sounds like a handful right now! It is a lot when you are exhausted and nauseous. I think the 8 week scan is a big relief, too, the odds of miscarriage go down so much with that milestone. I don't have the different genetics with my 2 kids, but they do have very different personalities. Fiona is exactly like me in almost every way. I totally "get" her. Carys is very different - much less extroverted, more wary of new things and change, more sensitive, but with a wicked great sense of humor, and of course her hearing loss is something I have not experienced. But yes, I love them both absolutely 100% the same!
ReplyDeleteThis was just the post I needed to read at 5am as I get ready to go to the hospital to have baby boy. It was hilarious. It made me feel lucky that SR hasn't pooed in her underwear yet...although there are some days I clean up multiple pees within minutes of each other...and makes me say, "are you crazy? How are you going to keep up with two?" And then knowing that I will have enough love for more than just SR. Thank you. And I'll be thinking of you this week with your scan. Hopefully the nausea is a great sign and will override the spotting.
ReplyDeleteI'm with ya in the exhaustion of a toddler having to do everything themselves!! Sometimes (ok rarely, but still sometimes) I can convince her to let me help by singing the Wonder Pets "What's gonna work? Teamwork!!!" Lol!
ReplyDeleteJFYI I felt nothing but nausea until about week 10 or 11, when I did start to throw up - there was such relief even if only momentary! - So sorry you feel sick. Reading your posts has made me desire for Sage to live the rest of her life in diapers!
ReplyDeleteYeah, welcome to toddler time. The whole I can't-do-it but-I-want-to-do- it-myself thing and is CRAZY.
ReplyDeleteI was told something like 70% of IVF pregnancies involve spotting. And in my own history, I always spotted more when I was shoving things up my vagina...
I was much more nauseous with LG than Tiny Boy. Maybe you're having a girl?
Excited for you!
Oh, and yes, of course you'll love this baby. My love for Tiny Boy is ferocious. I will say, though, that I don't think there's a day that I forget about his donor.
ReplyDeleteWhat a way to start your day! It's super funny at the same time... just think, he should have this potty thing down before your second one arrives. What a relief that will be! I am still just so excited for you that you are pregnant again... the nauseousness is rough, but a great sign your baby is growing in there!
ReplyDeleteFeeling for you on both those issues. BB is becoming a little cheeky and defiant and wearing me down too. I also know how it is to love the little bean you don't know yet. Hope he/she is safe and that get through this worrying patch. Hugs
ReplyDeleteDoes it make me a bad friend that I giggled (okay... cackled) at the Finn stories? Because I did.
ReplyDeleteI'm sending lots of positive thoughts and vibes your way for Friday (and everyday after). I know I've told you this story before, but I'm going to repeat it in case your pregnancy brain has a void: When my mother was pregnant with me she was worried how she could possibly love a second child as much as she loved my brother. He was everything to her; he took up every thought and every emotion. "But then," she said, "You were born. And that's when I understood how endless love is. There's always more love to be given." She says she loves each of us just as much as the other; differently - because we're different people - but the love is endless.
And I look at my friends D and A, who have one adopted daughter from Pakistan and a biological surprise daughter. There's no difference in the level of love they give to those girls. It's different love, because one daughter (the adopted) is silly, brave, and independent and the other (the biological) is very sweet, shy, and sensitive. So the girls require different types of parenting - but they love both of them just as much as the other. So will you.
/end soapbox.
Too funny -- although I am sure it was not cute when it was happening :-)
ReplyDeleteReg second baby, I can attest to the fact that having a DE baby will not diminish your love for him/her. As someone said above it just makes you love them more for giving you the opportunity to be their mother. You feel so blessed and grateful. Having said that, as Gwinnie said, you will always be aware of donor, but it will not matter. I know that sounds crazy, but I don't know how else to explain it. Its like they were meant to be yours, and that is all that really counts.
Oh and good luck on your scan. It will be perfect!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry for the rough morning. That sucks. I'm not looking forward to those days, and I think they're soon to come! Already saw that the scan went well, I think, going to read the rest of that post now... Hope all is still well!!
ReplyDelete