Saturday, April 27, 2013

MRI #9 - Updated!

Yesterday was Finn's 9th MRI.  We seem to be on a trend lately of each MRI being worse than the last...let's hope that's not a trend that continues, because I'm not sure I can handle another day like yesterday!  And, to add insult onto injury, I still don't have the results of the MRI yet.

I started off the morning by oversleeping.  It was only by about 20 minutes, but it meant that I had to rush, and I left with my wet hair up in a ponytail.  Finn was asleep when it was time to leave, so I picked him up still sleeping and he didn't wake up until we walked outside.  Two Canadian geese flew overhead as we walked to the car and Finn woke up to their honks: "Birds!"  He was happy in the car and easy to entertain while we waited to meet with anesthesia.  We had the same anesthesiologist as last time, and Finn took the Versed like a champ (the first time he's taken all of it).  He was so stoned by the time they were ready for him.  He was watching Diego on my phone and giggling like a loon, and when we lost signal, he giggled at making funny faces on my camera phone.  Finn happily went with the nurse and doctor back to the MRI, and I gave myself my morning Lupron shot before going to the waiting room.



It was just about the fastest MRI ever (which increases the chances that it all is stable), but Finn was still really sedated when I went back.  He had the same nurses he's always had before, and they were all giving him tons of love and attention.  I considered rocking him until he was a little more alert, but decided we'd go ahead and head over to the oncologist's office, hoping we'd then manage to get home earlier.

What a nightmare.  He wiggled and squirmed in my arms the whole walk down to the car.  And then when we got to the car, a meltdown of epic proportions started.  Screaming.  Yelling.  Crying.  Nothing worked to calm him down.  I tried to cuddle him for a few minutes, but he continued to scream, so I got him into his car seat and we drove over to the oncologist's.  He calmed down when we first got out of the car, but that didn't last.  He was so doped up he couldn't stand up on his own, but wanted to stand up.  He didn't want me to put him down, but he didn't want me to hold him.  He wanted to play with the train, but he didn't want the train.  He wanted his pacifier, but threw it across the room when I gave it to him.  And the screaming.  Oh my god, the screaming.  There was a couple with a small child in the waiting room, and they completely avoided even looking at us.  I could feel their judgement, their criticism of my parenting skills in the looks they gave each other as they studiously avoided looking in our direction.  At one point, Finn threw his pacifier across the room and it landed right at the woman's feet.  She looked at it, and then looked away.  Finn was hitting and spitting and being just awful, and I was about to lose it.  I know it was all the anesthesia, but I didn't know what to do to make him feel better, and the silent (underserved) judgement from the well dressed couple in the room was just about more than I could bear.

And then Hannah, our nurse came out to call Finn back.  She took one look at us and came rushing across the room, "Oh Finn, you're never like this after anesthesia!  Poor boy!  Oh, the medicines really made you upset this time. Mom, let me help you!" and she grabbed our stuff, including picking up his pacifier, as the other parents looked on with what I hope was guilty expressions.

Hannah was wonderful, and as soon as we got to the exam room she got out toys she thought would distract Finn - we finally settled on bubbles.  She was in there blowing bubbles for almost 10 minutes until he was calmed down and was actually giggling.  He was great after that, and even let her get blood from his toe without fuss.  He was still off balance and fussy, but the meltdown was over.

Our usual oncologist was out, so we saw someone else - who wasn't really sure about what the plan was, and who assured me she'd call as soon as she got the MRI results.  When it was 4pm and I still hadn't heard, I called their office.  And they were closed already.  I spoke to the answering service, but the oncologist I saw wasn't on call, and they won't give out results after hours.  So we wait until Monday.

While this was a pretty crappy day thanks to Finn's epic post anesthesia meltdown, it's amazing how much worse an MRI day is when there's no news at the end.

I'm really wondering if the Versed is the cause of his bad reaction, as he's never had a full dose before and this is the first time he's had such a bad reaction.  I think next time (which is hopefully 6 months from now, instead of 4 months!) I'll see if we can just give him half.  Just enough to take the edge off - it's only to make it easier for him when they take him back and not really necessary for the anesthesia.

We have no big weekend plans, which is good, as I now have a horrible headache.  At least Finn is fully recovered from his anesthesia and back to his usual happy self.  

***Update***

The doctor called me earlier today to give me the results of the MRI.  The primary tumor is nice and stable, which is good news!  There was one lymph node they've been keeping an eye on that looks a little bigger, though.  As she's not Finn's primary oncologist, she didn't want to give me a finalized plan.  So we're still waiting to hear back from Dr. B on Monday or Tuesday about the plan for the next MRI.  Lymph nodes can get bigger for all sorts of reasons, so it's most likely nothing more than something that's going to buy us another MRI in 4 months and a little more worry for me.

24 comments:

  1. Oh gosh that sounds like such a rough day. So sorry you had to go through all that. And to not get the results on top of it all-that sucks. Sending good thoughts and hope the weekend is fun and passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, what a day! Poor Finn and poor you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this I just wanted to be there with you help and to pick up his paci and shoot dirty looks at the judgemental people! How awful. Hoping for good news on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little guy!! I so wish both of you did not have these worries & drs visits! I am praying that everything looks good & your next visit will be in 6 months instead of 4. I would think parents with other children would understand especially in a drs office!!! The nurse seems amazing & I am so glad she helped you out the way she did with her comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I hate days like that! I don't know why the tacit judgment of other people we'll never see again is so painful, but it is. You wish you could just hand everyone a note that says "he's usually not like this! He's a really great kid, I swear! Everyone says so!" I hope the MRI results come back a-ok and you don't have to do one again for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I'm sorry Finn had such a rough time. I hope that the quick MRI means everything is looking good. Fingers crossed for good results come Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry Finn had such a hard time. It most have been so frustrating for him and rough on you. Hopefully next time won't be so rough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear it's good news, hope will bring more good news.

    Hannah sounds really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, that does sound like a rough day. Glad to hear the tumor is stable, and hopefully the lymph node will be too next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuck, what a rough day! I really hope that you get good news and it sucks that you have wait to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how awful that meltdown sounds glad you both made it thru. When are parents going to learn to stop judging each other? They'll have their moment some day. We all do. Hoping the bigger lymph node is nothing serious. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Shannon! So glad you got some good news. Fingers crossed for the next MRI!

    And on a professional note I'm betting Finn's behavior is from the Versed. Goodness the emergence from that drug is horrible. I used Versed in my previous practice almost every single day as an oral sedative. Great drug when effective, but whether effective or not, the emergence was rarely pretty. Lots of screaming, crying, hysteria, combativeness from our little patients. I dosed with .6mg/kg and even when the kids spit some out they still had some emergence issues I'm sorry to say. Now, my patients weren't as young as Finn...for those under 3 who needed more than one filling we usually recommended IV sedation unless they were really small cavities. Of course Finn may be just fine next time, but at least now you're aware of the possibilities...I'm so sorry. Hope your weekend is going better than your Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Finn and poor mommy. Glad the whole miserable day is behind you and very happy for a good report. Sorry you have the lymph node to worry about - it it's not one thing it's another. LOVE the loopy photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor little guy! I'm sorry you both had such a rough time after the MRI. That's great that the tumor is still stable. I hope the enlarged lymph node turns out not be a concern. I also hope that the rest of your weekend is much happier and restful! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry it was a rough day, I hope the rest of the weekend is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor Finn! And what a hero Hannah is. I am pleased there was someone so nice and understanding to support you both. Really pleased to hear that the tumor is stable too. FX that the lymph node is nothing to worry about too - hopefully just doing it's job! Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a very rough day. And I'm glad to hear that you managed to get through it. I will keep sending you positive thoughts that the lymph node is nothing to worry about. I hope you all have a wonderful week. And the picture of Finn and the pacifier is too cute!! Such a handsome little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How awful!!!!! I could just feel your pain with your description in the oncologist waiting room….and how terrible that you're just in waiting limbo to find out more about the lymph node. Thinking about you guys! Hope you had a low key weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh! Catching up. That reactions sounds awful! Hannah rocks! Seriously, you'd think in a peds oncology waiting room other parents would get that these are unusual circumstances. And Finn's still a baby!

    I did chuckle about giving yourself your lupron shot before going to the waiting room. And my sympathies on that. Lupron sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So frustrating to have to deal with that from the anesthesia, and hard to see your little boy suffer! I hope that lymph node is not a big deal - it would be nice not to have to do quite so many MRI's.

    I like the picture of the two of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh...sounds like a really tough day for both Finn and Mommy. Hoping you hear back soon on the lymph node and its a non-issue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh ugh. So sorry you had to endure all that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Shannon, I'm SO sorry the MRI (and the day surrounding it) was so horrible. I really hope the next one is much, much better! As a child life specialist who's seen way too many kids have a paradoxical reaction to versed, I know it's very possible that that's what was going on with Finn. And those other parents had NO right to judge you! There's really nothing that helps when it's the med's fault - it just has to wear off. :( Really hoping the lymph node is nothing to worry about and you can wait 6 months before the next MRI!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just catching up and hope that the lymph node was nothing serious. I am just so impressed you have the energy to try for number 2! Glad you were able to do the Lupron shot before the meltdown

    ReplyDelete