This past week has been one of the worst ever. Nanny M developed a toothache right before we went to Phoenix, and so took the day off on Monday to go to the dentist. Our neighbor watched Finn, stopping by to get him a little before I had to leave. Of course he cried. And then I got in my car, turned the ignition and my car wouldn't start. I'd left a light on in the backseat the night before, and my battery was dead. None of my other neighbors were home, so I had to call the sitter back to jump start my car. The screaming from Finn when I left after we started my car was awful. "Ma-MAAAA!" I cried. He's usually clingy when I leave him with Nanny M, but rarely cries for more than a minute, so I'm just not used to this.
Turns out Nanny M had fractured her tooth into multiple pieces. The dentist couldn't just pull it, he had to surgically remove it, and told her it was going to hurt for a long time while it heals. There was no way she could work on Tuesday. The neighbor was busy, and while my friend LB was able to watch him in the afternoon, I couldn't find anyone to watch him in the morning. My next open appointment to see a patient at work is in February, but I had no choice, I had to cancel clinic for the morning. We're double booking all the patients that had to reschedule, so at least they'll be seen.
LB came to get him around 12:30 (with much crying from Finn), and right before they left he had a very gross diaper. A few hours later LB texted me that Finn was having a lot of gas, diarrhea, and was crying. This lasted until about an hour before I picked him up, and then he was fine. His poop is still nasty (worst smell I have EVER smelled) and his gas is almost as foul, but he seems to feel fine.
Wednesday, LB was late getting Finn, so I was late for work, and he cried and screamed when I left. Of course I know he was happy 10 minutes later, but leaving a crying baby is just heartbreaking. LB kept Finn until lunch, then she brought him over to my house to meet Nanny M around 1:30. One thing neither of us thought about (until 1:30 ) was that the neighbor had Finn's car seat and Nanny M's house key. The neighbor wasn't home, and wasn't answering her phone. And it was drizzling. I work about 30 minutes from home, so me driving home wasn't going to work. Amazingly, my office manager offered to drive my key up there, so I was able to see patients and Finn and Nanny M got in the house.
Thank goodness this week was a short week. I'm writing this from our hotel room, while Finn naps. (Yes, three trips in three weeks. I am crazy.) This is the view from our balcony:
No, we're not in Africa. But we are in the next best place: Walt Disney World. 16 months ago, when my friend Jennie came to stay with me after Finn was born, she suggested that we meet for a long weekend at Disney this December. After all that time planning, I can't believe we're finally here!
Stay tuned to my Instagram feed for more pictures of our weekend fun. I'm hoping next week is a little calmer so I can post about our weekend, and maybe finally get my supplements post finished.












I was just thinking earlier today that I would leave a comment on your last post, saying that I hoped you were good-busy and that's why you hadn't written anything in a little while. You beat me to it! I love the story of Finn on the plane -- he definitely would have made me laugh, too, if I'd been there.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great long weekend!! Sounds like both you and Finn earned a much needed rest!
ReplyDeleteHave fun!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds insane, dealing with all that backup childcare! You are lucky you have the neighbor and LB to help out, but it's still such a stress. Hope you can relax and enjoy Disney now!
ReplyDeleteUgh. After a week like that, you definitely deserve a holiday! Have fun. :)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear you have had such a difficult time. Your photo makes us want to go to disney world too!
ReplyDeleteWow - amazing view. Have a nice vacation!
ReplyDeletewow, thank god for our villages, eh?
ReplyDeletei hope Nanny M is feeling better! love the photo!
Don't forget to laugh and have a good time.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a crazy story with a surprise ending! Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it.
ReplyDeleteHave a great time! I am jealous!
ReplyDeleteYou definitely deserve some WDW time!!! Love the view at AKL!!! We stayed there once when I was a bit younger and loved watching the animals from the balcony too :) My mom is actually down there right now, just not at AKL ;) Looking forward to hearing, hopefully, a more rewarding/relaxing/fun post next ;)
ReplyDeleteWow Shannon. cRaZy!! I know toothaches- how is Nanny M doing? I cannot imagine leaving a crying baby.... that had to be so heartbreaking for you, even though you knew he would be fine, but still....
ReplyDeleteBut, that view- AMAZING! Hope your having a wonderful time!!
Wow & Wow!!Have a great trip & I can't wait to hear all about it!!!
ReplyDelete