One of my biggest worries when starting back to work after Finn was born was how I was going to manage getting ready for work every morning, in particular, how I was going to be able to shower. It turned out to be amazingly easy. He woke up when I woke up, and every morning he was happy to sit in his bouncy chair and play for 5-10 minutes while I showered. I missed my long, leisurely showers, but I was able to get clean and Finn stayed happy. After my shower, we had a little cuddle time, then I changed his clothes and fed the cats before he moved to an activity mat while I dried my hair. It was a nice, easy routine.
 |
| In his bouncy seat in September |
A few months ago, he started to get bored with sitting in the bouncy seat and slid right out while I was in the shower. It surprised him (and me!) a few times, but he never got hurt. He did decide, however, that he was done with sitting in the seat, and wanted to play on the floor. We ended up with a big collection of toys in buckets in the bathroom that would always end up spread all over the floor by the end of the morning. Messy, but still we were both happy.
And then, this morning, I was massaging shampoo in my hair when I looked through the shower door to see Finn's feet disappear through the doorway. He's been crawling for a week, but today, for the first time, he crawled right out of the bathroom. I rinsed my hair as quickly as I could, and jumped out of the shower. I found him just outside the door, holding an open bottle of Zantac, one pill in his mouth. Two minutes and he manages to find his way into an unpacked box and into a bottle of pills.
My life is never going to be the same again, is it?
Nope, never the same again.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness!
Nope it's won't be. J has a thing for opening everything too, bottles included. Definitely adds that element of surprise to life!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I love the cat supervision!
ReplyDeleteMy child left the house while I was in the shower, and I ran naked out of the shower when I heard the alarm. I use the gate now so she can't get downstairs. Nope, nothing is ever the same.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute video...I was laughing at the cuteness and his expressions, and seeing the two cats sitting there like sentinels -too funny!. Thanks for sharing. Seeing Finn's cute face always makes me smile.
ReplyDeleteAmazing about the Zantac......yes it seems you will need to get even faster than 5-10 min in the shower.
Love those legs. I totally want to blow raspberries on them.
ReplyDeleteNope! What I did with LG at that age was put her in one of those jumpers that hang from a door frame on the bathroom door. Kept her content, and she actually fell asleep there more than once... But sounds like it's baby gate time for you and Finn...
ReplyDeleteNo, your life will never be the same, but these are the days you're going to miss in 15 years. :) Now that D and C are 15 and 12, Cory and I talk about those days when they were babies/toddlers. We love the freedom and ease that comes w/ the boys being older, but oh, how I miss those crazy, sleep-deprived, snuggly, sweet days. That Finn is a clever one...even opened the Zantac bottle! lol One day I was in the shower, C was about 2 (it's always C...always! lol), walked out the bathroom, grabbed the car keys and pushed the panic button. lol Good times!
ReplyDelete~SL
He's so cute it hurts! :)
ReplyDeleteWhen Scarlett stopped enjoying the chair in the bathroom while I showered, I changed my routine. Now I put her down at 7pm and immediately jump into the shower. It definitely helps ease my mind that she's secure in the crib. Again, only a temporary solution - what will I do when she's in a big bed? Love the video!
ReplyDeleteNope!
ReplyDeleteI was never a fast "showerer" but I sure am now ;)
When my daughter was an infant, I showered while she sat in her bouncy seat in the bathroom. Then around 6 months or so, the separation anxiety hit and she couldn't stand being anywhere but with me and would cry and cry if I put her down at all. Fortunately at that time I began working at home with a live-out nanny, so I was able to shower once the nanny arrived, before starting work on weekdays; on weekends I waited until her lunchtime nap to shower. That routine continued when she graduated from nanny to daycare.
ReplyDeleteAt some point between 12 and 18 months, her separation anxiety eased enough that I could shower while she was awake, so my weekend showers moved earlier in the morning. My house was well baby-proofed by then, so it wasn't too big of a deal, and she enjoyed playing with the various "safe" things I kept in the bathroom cabinet she could reach.
And now at age 2, I can take a shower in the morning with ease, knowing she is fine no matter where she is in the house. It's a nice feeling. :)
But yeah, the time between they first become mobile and the time you can let them play on their own anywhere in the house without worrying is definitely a challenge!
Great video! Love the kitty audience in the background. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I missed this yesterday! Too CUTE!!! I just want to grab him up and smooch him all over. I'm not sure what the cats think about this new stage of mobility yet though. :-)
ReplyDeleteadorable! i love how expressive he is, especially when you say "uh oh" because the ball rolls away and he looks like, "aww, mom, not to worry, i got this!"
ReplyDeletethat and the excited pants. he sounds exactly like calliope!
and we love the kitchen floor littered with toys look! but your new kitchen is a lot bigger than mine! which is big by brooklyn standards!
Shannon, okay, you must have had heart failure!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love the video. I wish I could give Finn a little squeeze. Jax was a little Buddha baby too! They make the best kind!
xoxo
Oh, my goodness! We utilized our pack 'n' play quite a bit for showers. We're lucky that ours never climbed out of her crib or pack 'n' play so she would sit in there until the weight limit prevented use. I'd give her toys, books and the TV while I sped around in the morning. Now, she's allowed to sit on the couch and watch tv while she dresses herself which is much more convenient.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine the scare as you jumped out of the shower, and I'm sure your heart just started beating again, but just think, now you can add it to the stories. Everyone has a similar one. (They're always funnier when they happen to someone else.)
Would he tolerate an exersaucer or similar for the duration of a shower?
ReplyDeleteLove the video!! It's better than having a puppy, lol!
ReplyDeleteOops, & I meant to mention the exersaucer as well...it was my life saver to be able to shower with Elena...until she started walking tho.
ReplyDeleteI used to do the bouncy chair with my daughter, then used to put books and toys in her crib which kept her quite happy. Now at 2 1/2 she happily sits on my bed and plays with the ipad for the entire time I am in the shower. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, I finally caught up on the last month of posts. I love the firehouse bday for D and that hubcap photo and that shirt is so stinking cute that I want one for TiVo. Lol
ReplyDeleteSo I'm assuming you're going to the interview tomorrow? I hate that your work has come to this extreme choice, but life is full of adventures and change is a big part of that. I'm excited for both of you.
Xoxo
So, so cute :)
ReplyDeleteNever the same :-) But oh so amazing with Finn being mobile!
ReplyDeleteP.S - the pictures on your last few posts, sorry I didn't comment on the blog/s themselves but would just like to say he has a most adorable smile!!