Poor Finn was overwhelmed by the number of people there and by the noise. We got there early, so it wasn't too bad to start, but by the time we'd been there an hour he was tired and overstimulated. I'm pretty sure my normally happy baby didn't smile the entire time we were there. It was nice to meet people I've heard my parents talk about, and everyone was so nice to Finn - I'm glad we went even if it was a little bit much for my boy. I enjoyed it even more, knowing my parents were prepared to only stay a short while, and were ready to leave once it was clear that Finn had just about reached his limit.
At one point, the husband of one of my mom's poker buddies was talking to me and commented on what a big boy Finn is. "How tall is his daddy?" he asked me. My response? "Oh, I have no idea." He gave me a strange look, so I went on to explain, "I really don't remember." And with that, the conversation was over and he quickly found someone else to talk to.
Honestly, I can't blame him. You'd think I'd be better at this by now. Or, at the very least, I'd pull up my donor's profile and refresh my memory on some of his vital stats.












Too funny :-)
ReplyDeleteHaha, love it! I'm sure there will be a lot of awkward moments in the future for me too!
ReplyDeleteThat was funny. I can imagine his face with your first response!
ReplyDeleteI love it. I thought about how I'd tell people I was pregnant if the IUI's had worked: I don't remember his name, but he has beautiful brown eyes and was 21. I thought that would get quite a reaction. (Not to be used at work).
ReplyDeleteI sometimes respond "I don't know I've never met him".
ReplyDeleteThat is pretty funny. You'd think your parents would've explained, when they told their neighbors you'd had a baby! I think you're going to have to practice saying "I had an anonymous donor" til it becomes automatic (unless you want to continue shocking people like that, which has its benefits).
ReplyDeleteOh I love that comment! That is something I would say. I usually just talk to whomever like everyone gets it and being a SMC using an anonymous donor is the most common thing in the world. Which, as I think about it, is not necessarily a bad thing. :)
ReplyDeleteI've used the "I've never met him" response a time or two...it's only with strangers I find it hard to explain my SMC status...I don't want to get into the whole explanation but I'm not gonna just let it pass either since I don't want to be in that habit once Elena understands. I'm still perfecting my stock response. I think I like yours, lol!
ReplyDeleteI also never remember the stats of my donor...great response...it's like the Friends episodes where Phoebe would say she was having her brother's baby, but then not go on to elaborate on the details. LOVE IT!
ReplyDelete