It was dark by the time I got to the cabin that my sister had rented and the house was full with J and her boys, our parents and our favorite aunt and uncle. Finn had slept the whole drive there, so he was happy to be loved on by the relatives, and even seemed to enjoy the noise from the two older boys. It was all pretty overwhelming though, and when our parents and aunt and uncle left to go back to their rental, we were all ready for bed.
The rest of the weekend, spent with a 4 year old and an 18 month old, made me realize that even though I thought I was prepared to raise a boy, it's going to be more challenging and more fun than I ever imagined! Finn and his cousins woke up about the same time both mornings, and I could hear J giggling in her bedroom with her boys as I cuddled with mine. And then D (the 4 year old) was especially challenging the rest of the morning and had my sister so frazzled by the time we got to breakfast that D actually asked her, "Mommy, do you ever wish you didn't have children?" The extremes of parenthood, all in a few short hours.
Me with Finn and Ollie
J and the boys
Yesterday was a beautiful day in the mountains, and J, D, Finn and Dad decided to go up to Chimney Rock while Mom stayed at our cabin with Ollie, the 18 month old. We drove up to the entrance and the cheery girl at the booth said, "The elevator is currently down for servicing, so the only way to access the Rock is by walking. Is that ok?" Of course we said yes...then wondered if we were going to be able to make it.
D impressed us all by all but sprinting up the 400 steps that lead up to Chimney Rock. And I surprised myself by being able to make it, too, even with 20 pounds of baby strapped on to me. I was pretty winded, but at each break it didn't take me too long to catch my breath, which makes me hope that once I really start back to running it won't take me long to get back to being able to do 3-5 miles.
D and J on Chimney Rock
The Cousins
















Isn't it crazy how much stuff you have to lug around for the little ones!? Sounds like a great weekend and I love that last cousin photo!
ReplyDeleteWhat a idyllic family weekend and spectacular view from up there with the fall colors!
ReplyDeleteThe pics are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. The "3 cousins" in their plaid shirts - too darn cute. Its great that your sis lives close by and that she has two boys, so Finn can enjoy growing up and bonding with his cousins.
Awww, what a fun trip! Great pics, too!
ReplyDeleteIt's really too bad that my future child(ren) likely won't have any cousins. We'll have to rely on donor half-sibs instead!
Enjoy the time with your sister and nephews!
What a stunning view from Chimney Rock! Sounds like a perfect weekend!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!! Sounds like a perfect getaway and I love your pictures. THat view is stunning!
ReplyDeletei love all the plaid! and what a spectacular view! and you look beautiful!
ReplyDeleteGoodness, look how big those boys are! I remember when it was just D and he was a baby. Time is flying, and I don't like it one bit. His stories always remind me of my nephew a little.
ReplyDeleteLittle Miss had a weekend with her cousins and my grandparents. I think my grandparents enjoyed the boy/girl differences. Though Little Miss loves running and jumping, she'll also sit and listen to books or play games whereas my nephew is all movement all the time at his age. My grandparents are a little less active than they were a couple of years ago so they liked the quiet moments with Little Miss.
Nothing like having kids to go through every emotion in a morning!
More challenging and fun than you ever imagined? Sounds like a perfect description! Although I hear girls have their challenges, too. It's so awesome that Finn has these cousins nearby, especially one fairly close to him in age.
ReplyDeleteSeems like a well deserved and much needed vacation. Looks so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures, Shannon!
ReplyDeleteSuch pretty photos and cute boys & beautiful mamas!
ReplyDeleteFinn looks so incredibly healthy and vibrant! Chimney Rock looked gorgeous! I'm glad to see that you looked like you had some much needed and deserved fun.
ReplyDeleteWow - that looks high! So inspiring that you did that whilst carrying Finn. BB is 18 1/2lbs and I definitely know I am carrying him now!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great weekend. So good to see Finn looking so healthy and happy too!