Saturday, July 9, 2016

The Future is No Place to Place Your Better Days

I've written here about how I've struggled with feeling overwhelmed, and how I've struggled to find the joy in every day.  I know a lot of it has to do with the stage of life I'm in right now, with two young children - but they are growing out of the age that is so horribly hard, and yet I'm still trying to find my balance.  I don't want to wake up in 15 years and have two kids getting ready to leave home and wonder why I didn't enjoy their childhood more.

A few months ago I listened to the audio version of Shonda Rhimes' memoir "The Year of Yes" and felt inspired by the renewal and joy she found from her year spent saying Yes to things that scared her.  Then this week I read "Loving My Actual Life" a memoir about the author's 9 month experiment to try to find more joy and meaning in her every day life.  Not as fabulous a read, but still interesting to follow her journey.

Naturally, I'm now thinking about my creating own challenge to help me get myself back on track - to reboot my life.  The thing is, I can't think of changes I'd like to make that fit into neat categories that I can tackle a month at a time.  Likewise, there's no one overarching theme (like saying yes to things that scare me) that I could use to tie it all together.  But there is the constant low level stress and aggravation from the clutter and utter lack of organization in my home - when I think of changes, this is all I can focus on. It's a project I've been working on for months and I've made a dent (including getting my entire downstairs redecorated last month) but there is still so much to do, and I've reached the point where it's going to take a lot more than an hour here and there to get it done.  And I just can't seem to get past the point of writing a list of all I need to do.

I've spent this past week, on my vacation in Florida visiting my parents, thinking about what's been standing in my way of actually putting my plans into action, and it embarrassingly comes down to one thing: Facebook.  I've used it for distraction for years, and since I recently became a member of a physician mommy group on there, it's even worse.  I'm certain I waste hours on it every week, maybe even every day.

Which means that step one in my life reboot is that I'm going to take a break from Facebook for the next month, starting Monday when I'm back to work.  (I will make a small exception for the Facebook group that has been created for the kindergarten families in my neighborhood, but I can set that up with email notifications to limit my time on FB.)

I'm going to use the time I'm off Facebook to devote focused energy at night to home organization and decluttering.  By the end of the month I should have a huge chunk that enormous project done - and I'm hoping once I'm nearing the end of it, I'll have a better idea of what's the next step to help me best enjoy the life I'm living now.

I've decided that I'm very specifically not giving up all social media - not Instagram and not blogs.  Instagram has become my favorite time capsule - I love being able to go back and see my favorite moments from the past few years just by scrolling through my own IG feed, and it only takes up a few minutes of my day to see what everyone I follow is up to. (If you're on IG and I don't follow you, share your user name here so I can add you!)  Plus there's the nice side effect of just feeling good from reading IG, while I've found that lately FB often leaves me angry or annoyed or disgusted with humanity.

I'm not sure if this is going to be a short project or a long term project, but as I mentioned in my last post, it's at least another year before I can cut my hours back at work, and at least two more years of staying in my current job.  I can't wait around for better days, I need to do something different now.

13 comments:

  1. I'm' also listening to Rhimes on audio...funny.

    What a great pic of your boys!!!

    I hear you on the general overwhelm. Wishing you some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely understand what you are saying and am going through something similar. I have a 3 year old going on 13 and a one year old. It can be purely exhausting parenting these ages. We're finally getting to a place where I can start breathing again out of survival mode. I also struggle with being present and at peace. I also say to myself, only a year and a half before I can change my job to part time, no time, different career, etc.. But, who wants to look so far forward and be missing today, right now? I'm not sure there's a magic answer other than you are not alone. I actually took a class on mindfulness--helped me at least realize I'm not in the moment more often than not. I don't do any form of social media other than blog and recently I even decided to turn off my iPhone during weekend some of the time. SO easy to waste so much time. Hang in there.
    From real deal. I've followed your story and relate to a lot of what you write about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have two - I only have one and I find myself overwhelmed these days, and irritable. Its like nothing gets done - yet I am cleaning, organizing ALL the time. And I feel I am missing out on time with B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boys are adorable. They are getting so big. What if, as a present to yourself, you hire a professional organizer to help you tackle some of the last final steps in clutter/organization in your home? It seems like you are very stressed about this but also feeling stuck - would it help to just pay someone to help you get it done? if you have the money, I think it is a splurge you deserve. Best of luck with Facebook. It is such a time suck for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This last year I deleted the FB app off my phone for a month. It was a freeing process and a tangible reminder of how much time I waste scrolling through people's feeds. I can't remember why I put the app back on there, but it's there again. You might have inspired me to delete it again, expect that it's Day 2 of sugar-free and there's no chocolate in my life. So I might as well have FB for a little fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read "the life changing magic of tidying up"? So it's not magic - it basically comes down to, you've got to much stuff get rid of stuff. But it sort of helped me wrap my head around getting rid of stuff. I also stand by making sure that you are spending at least 1 hr a week doing something you totally enjoy. It makes the world of difference. Hugs to you. You are doing a great job. Your boys look happy and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No great advice but I sure hear you. It's so hard. I have summers off from work but I don't think i could have sustained the pace I held this past school year. I'm not even that disorganized at home. But just work plus two kids is completely overwhelming. All good stuff, but hard.

    i'm sorry you are struggling. And I think limiting FB would be a good idea for me, too. Not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I manage our social media at work so I have to be logged on all day, every day. But I did turn off notifications for the groups I'm in to cut down on the additional distraction. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sympathize! Over a year ago, I took FB off my phone and won't go back! I'm on FB less these days but still too much. I "hide" many, many "friends"- those who I'm not close to and those who post too frequently for my taste or stuff I find annoying. So I just don't see their posts. I'm ruthless, ha! I've un-joined all "groups" online - I check them if I want but don't get their notices pushed to me or in my newsfeed. I want to use FB only as a tool for staying close to real friends, not for distracting me from life. Also, not posting on my own blog has benefit of not seeing my blog feed regularly and so I only check friends' blogs once in awhile. I am part-way weaned but more to go! I've got to say I'm much happier as I gradually wean from social media.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so love reading your blog. I often feel like you are writing directly to me. I am also a single Mom of twin two year old girls. I'm overwhelmed, surrounded by stuff and totally in love. It's tough. I just finished listening to 1-2-3 Magic to try and get a handle on the two's! I also work in health care (in Canada) and constantly tyr to think of career changes that would allow me more flexibility to be home more for my girls. At some point I'll act but right now I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love reading your blog. I often feel like you are writing directly to me. I am also a single Mom of twin two year old girls. I'm overwhelmed, surrounded by stuff and totally in love. It's tough. I just finished listening to 1-2-3 Magic to try and get a handle on the two's! I also work in health care (in Canada) and constantly tyr to think of career changes that would allow me more flexibility to be home more for my girls. At some point I'll act but right now I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a single mother by choice of a 3 1/2 year old and work full time so I can relate to your struggle. I recently took a day off while my son was in school and went to ikea and bought shelves with pull out drawers to hold my son's toys which were threatening to take over my living room. The simple act of decluttering the toys and putting everything where it should made such a difference in my stress when I was home. No more stepping over toys and looking for missing toys. A simple thing that has changed my life. Getting rid of this one problem has freed up my time to tackle the other organizing issues in my house. It's about baby steps. Good luck---you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post clearly resonated with many people! So easy to get sucked into the internet/social media vacuum. I agree with hiring someone or asking a friend to come over for moral support. There are some things I just think I'll always dislike and struggle to do (managing and tracking finances for example) and asking for help is a good thing in these times, I've decided. Plus I've read asking for help and helping others makes us feel closer to people. :) Sending good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete