I've been trying to watch my diet for the past month or so, and I've added in some exercise, and managed to lose 10 pounds (which is the most I've ever lost in that amount of time, ever. I really was eating pretty horribly). But I've been stuck at 10 pounds, and I'm forced to admit that as much as I really want to lose weight, I'm not feeling as motivated as I did when I first started. And then there's the Easter Candy. I really have no self control around malted milk eggs and Peeps.
I've also come to realize what a huge role sleep plays in my overall sense of well being. I had several months of really good sleep after night-weaning Zachary, but the past 2-3 weeks have been all out of kilter, with illnesses, teething and work stress. I'm probably not as tired as I was 4 months ago, but I'm close. And so I've been more short-tempered with the boys, less motivated at work and hungrier for junk food. I know my lack of sleep is directly sabotaging my efforts to lose weight.
But here's the thing. I want to lose weight so I can feel better about how I look, that's true. But what's really most important is that I need to lose weight so I can be healthier. I need to exercise so I can be healthier. I need to eat more nutritious foods so I can be healthier. Because it's not just me anymore. I have two young sons, and I'm 43 years old. I had gestational diabetes. I have a family history of heart disease. And I'm now seeing women my age who are very sick with chronic medical problems they brought upon themselves by not taking care of their bodies. And I realize that they could be me. I could be them.
I owe it to my kids to be as healthy as I can. When Finn is my age, I'll be 83. I want to be alive then and in reasonably good health, able to enjoy my grandkids and not be a burden to my children. Of course, there's nothing I can do to guarantee that, but there's definitely a lot I can do (or not do) to make it unlikely.
So perhaps it's time for me to start focusing on the truly important reasons why I need to healthy, and why I need to exercise regularly, and why I need to cut down on my sweets (not cut them out, just cut them down!) Looking better in my clothes will be a nice side benefit, but somehow I think it'll be easier to do the right thing when I focus on my future with my boys instead of my waistline.
I'm holding myself accountable and pledging to check in here next month, before Finn's birthday, and report on how successful I've been. I think I'll base my success on how many days I reach my health goals (2 servings of fruit a day and 3+ servings of vegetables), how many days of the week I exercised or met my steps goal, and lastly by how much weight I lose.
First step - go to bed early tonight, right after I make my lunch for tomorrow!
.jpg)












Change "2 sons" with "2 daughters" and I could have written this post word for word! I'm with you - let's do it!
ReplyDeleteI am with you too - lets do this!! I had got into a good swing of working out daily but fell off the wagon when I got my tummy bug. Now when spring break is over, I need to get back to working out!
ReplyDeleteGo for it! Changing your diet makes such a huge difference to your energy and you will see it reflected in your kids moods. I think it is even tougher to do in the US where everything is sweetened (seriously I will never understand why bread is so sweet over there!). I know you are super time poor, but even starting to make a few things from scratch (get finn involved) will start helping you out! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend the roasted veggie wrap I posted on my blog a couple of weeks ago. I've been eating it very often. It's easy, makes a ton (I make ahead and freeze, thaw when needed) and it's a great healthy choice. It's not when I pair it with potato chips, but today, I have veggie chips so baby steps.
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking the same thing! The amount of junk food I've been shoving down my pie hole is astounding. UGH. And I feel like I don't have any time or energy to work out. I desperately need to change all that. If you can do it, I can too!
ReplyDeleteI'm in the same place you are but can't use having a second child as an excuse. What gave me the wake up call was booking Elena's & my first trip to Disney for the end of August. I need to be in a lot better shape if I am going to manage 5 days of almost non stop walking for 10-12 hours a day. It also made me realize that I was at my most healthiest while TTC, pregnant & nursing & this was because my sole focus was on the well being of my eggs/fetus/infant. when I stopped nursing I went on a free for all in celebration of having my body back to being just my own. I realize now that I have the same reason to be more healthy as I did back then: Elena.
ReplyDeleteLove this. I need to do the same. I keep telling myself I'm going to eat better and exercise, and then I don't. I have zero willpower. I'm going to try harder!!
ReplyDeleteI got in shape for similar reasons. I want my boys to see me making good food choices, exercising, and just taking care of myself. Our kids model or behavior and if I don't want my kids choosing French fries as a side dish, then I probably shouldn't get them either. (I rarely get them now, and never in front of the kids.). If I want them to be active, they need to see me enjoying being active myself. Brian says, "they already model your exercise, which is all I can wish for.". Watching the boys get excited to run out work out with me is motivating him to get fit again too. He's afraid of what he's teaching them.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I'm excited for you... Really! Once you get going, it will be hard to stop. You'll succeed!
Thanks for this inspirational post! It definitely "hit home!"
ReplyDelete