Saturday, February 7, 2015

One Year

My dearest Zachary,


I can't believe you're a year old today.  We had a rare quiet moment together this morning in your room, as I rocked you while you nursed at the exact time you were born one year ago today.  It was the perfect way to start your big day.

This year has been a whirlwind blur of change and activity, and I've never been so tired in my entire life, but it's been worth every hour of lack of sleep.  You have brought such joy to our family in such a short period of time.  I love the way you are so free with your affection, climbing into my lap for a snuggle or holding on tight when I give you a hug.  One second your face is serious and solemn, and the next an enormous grin is stretching across it, or your entire face is scrunched into that sweet and silly smile of yours.  And your giggles - oh, it makes me heart sing to hear you giggle.



You love playing in water (and that leads to endless races to see who can get to the toilet first), eating, laughing at Zaphira and making lots of noise.  Your whole face lights up when your big brother walks into the room, and even when he's beating up on you, it's clear you adore him.



You are also fearless.  Your Aunt Uche says you need a shirt that says, "I crawl towards danger" and it's true.  I've already found you climbing on things, trying to figure out how you can get just a little bit higher, reach a little further.  I have a feeling you're going to give me more than a scare or two over the next few years.



You hate having your diaper changed.  When I tell you that you can't do something you want, your temper comes out.  Boy does it come out.  Screams, arching back - everyone knows when you're mad.  It never lasts long, though.  It never ceases to amaze me how you can go from crying and screaming to grinning and laughing in the blink of an eye.



It is so fun to watch your personality develop. It's already clear you are so different from your brother, but I think the two of you are going to make a great team.  I'm so lucky to be your mommy and I'm looking forward to the adventures this next year is going to bring.




Happy First Birthday, Zachary!


19 comments:

  1. Love this! Happy birthday Z! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1st Birthday, Zachary! Yummy cake! You are a lucky guy to have such an awesome Mom who loves you and your brother to the moon and back.

    Shannon - Curious what you notice about the differences and similarities between the boys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Zachary!!! I can't believe it's been a year already. Looks like you had a sweet little celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a big boy! Happy birthday Zachary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe it has already been a year! Happy 1st birthday, Zachary!! Looks like he had a wonderful time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Zachary! I can't believe it's been a year already! I love posts like these where I can really see a child's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh so cute!! Happy birthday Zachary and happy 1st year mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 1st birthday sweet boy! I love that last shot…it says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously??? One already??? Happy birthday, Zachary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Zachary! Gosh your boys are cute cute cute. Two kids is no joke, eh?! Congrats on surviving and thriving in the first year and hope it just continues to get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - one year already!!! Happy Birthday, sweet Zachary. The last photo is too cute for words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Happy Birthday sweet Zachary!
    And Happy Celebration of birthing your adorable boy to you Shannon!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly, it seems like just yesterday that Z arrived! What great photos of a great personality. Congrats to you for surviving this first year - quite a feat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a privilege to read your blog and celebrate these milestones along the way!! Happy birthday Zachary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, Zachary! Your birthday is Jordyn's half birthday, and vice versa. :) I can't believe it's already been a year! Love the pics - so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful post to mark Zachary's 1st birthday. I love the photos, looks like it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday!! I love the last photo!

    ReplyDelete