Wednesday, January 21, 2015

That Didn't Last Long!

This weekend was so great.  The conference itself was boring, but the food was good, I saw old friends, and slept.  My sleep wasn't perfect, both nights it took me a bit to fall asleep, and I woke up early, but it was uninterrupted and I was by myself.  Just heavenly.

Surprisingly, I didn't really miss the boys the first day.  I think that's a sign of just how much I needed to get away.  But I was so happy to get home to see them both on Sunday evening.  Best of all, Zachary has learned how to give the best hugs.  He wraps his arms around my neck and squeezes so tight - it's so sweet.  I arrived home refreshed and energetic and excited about the chance to start a week feeling good and centered and ready to keep my cool no matter what.

To make things even better, Nanny M started the process of sleep training for me while I was away. She kept Zachary in the pack and play in my room and gave him only water after bedtime.  It was a rough night on Friday night, but she said Saturday was easier.  With that work done, I committed to not letting him nurse after bedtime anymore.

Sunday night, I rocked him in the glider while he nursed, and had planned on rocking him to sleep, but he wouldn't stop wiggling.  So, on a whim I put him down in his pack and play - and was shocked when he rolled over and went to sleep without a peep!

He woke several times in the night, and was easily shushed back to sleep the first few times, but then woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep.  I picked him up (and he clung to me like I'd been gone for a month), and snuggled with him for a few minutes, before putting him down in my bed.  I soothed him to sleep, and then went back to sleep myself.  Not bad.

And then a tooth started to come through.  And he got a cold.  So Monday night was worse, and last night was awful (he was wide awake for two straight hours, in between episodes of fussing) despite liberal use of tylenol and ibuprofen.  He also decided to start walking this week (!!!), which I'm sure contributed to the poor sleep.

He's sound asleep in his pack and play now, so I'm hoping for a better night tonight.  At some point it all has to come together, right?  I'm just as exhausted now as I was just on Friday.  But there's the hope for better sleep in my future.  (please, let there be better sleep soon!)

1/14/15: he really likes noses

1/15/15: and he's interested in everything

1/16/15: how do I get down?

1/17/15: Skyping from my hotel room

1/18/15: he loves black beans as much as his brother

1/19/15: he loves the water!

1/20/15: he can't figure out how to make it move, but he loves sitting on this riding toy like a big boy

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Nanny M is a gem!!!

    Hang in there, Mama! The worst is over! Teething and learning to walk in the same week, plus Mama being away... it's a lot. But you've conquered a lot! Stay strong! It will pay major dividends. Huge. I swear.

    And nursing at bedtime and in the morning is a lovely, lovely compromise between nursing all night and weaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that teeth coming in always brings a cold? Beanie used to be the same. Glad you got a break for a couple of nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agreed with Sunflower, Elena ALWAYS got stuffy when teeth were coming in. Very glad your break was a good one, & sounds like perfect timing. Can you imagine facing those Monday & Tuesday nights without the rest? & Yeah for walking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's where we were last week. Baby just started crawling for real and the top teeth started coming in alongside of a cold. Sleeping wasn't working though he'd nap ok. Then, this week, he started eating again and has been sleeping like a champ. I think he's going to walk very early. He tries to stand constantly and once he's upright, he tries to walk along. Nothing he loves more than "walk" while holding our hands. We're in so much trouble. He already loves getting in everything. Except much like his sister, he hates to feed himself. He won't feed himself with his hands or hold his bottle. I love looking at your pictures and hearing your updates as a great sneak peek of what we have in store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zachary is so darn cute!! Yea for a wonderful weekend. You'll get there with the sleeping, sounds like you are both ready to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those last two photos are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got some good "me" time! and that Nanny M got a jumpstart on sleep training. Hope things continue to improve from here. Love Zachary's joy with the water!

    ReplyDelete