Tired seems to be the word of the month. (The year?) Both boys have colds, I have a cold and an asthma exacerbation. Zachary is teething. And his new found ability to roll has him trying it out in bed, which keeps him awake. I've had a medical student with me for the month, and he's smart and interested and enjoyable to work with, but I'm so far behind because I spend all my free time talking to him. I've just about exhausted every super quick meal idea I have and haven't cooked anything really good in weeks. I'm failing miserably in my goal of getting 5 fruits and veggies a day.
And yet...Finn has had some really good days at school. I've found that if I wait, he'll share just a little of his day. Just a snippet, but he shares it carefully and thoughtfully, and so I treasure these little pictures of his day. He's still constantly pushing, constantly testing, and an emotional powder keg, but we're both starting to find a way to work through these issues. Zachary still smiles, even when covered in snot, and has started to give kisses that feel like hickeys in the making.
My house is a mess. My hair is a mess. I'm pretty sure I owe people money. I know I owe a few friends phone calls or emails. I'm not sure I've ever been so sleep deprived in all my life.
And yet...there's an infant who has now thankfully fallen back to sleep in my room. And there's a soft bed calling my name. If I'm really lucky, the 3 year old will stay in his own room until right when my alarm goes off in the morning, and we'll have time to snuggle and reconnect before getting up for the day.












As a mama of a boy Finn's age and a 15 month old, I'll tell you that there's light at the end the tunnel. The first year with both of them was the most exhausting of my life - but now that the baby is around 15 months it's much, much better. Hang in there my friend!
ReplyDeleteI feel for you... As you know it will get better. In the mean time maybe you need a "me" day while your nanny is there to watch the kids. Easier said than done because of your busy work schedule I'm sure. Hang in there :(
ReplyDeleteIt's early yet. Finn will talk about school eventually. I don't think we heard about anything from school until Little Miss was 4.
ReplyDeleteOur little one is not sleeping as often and is absolutely miserable between 9PM and midnight which is our time to do stuff like eat dinner and all the household chores we can only do during that time. Work is busy, and we're entering a crazy busy time between christening, birthday and holidays. Plus, the baby has surgery next week so everyone is sleepy and a bit cranky. You'll make it through and then give me hope that we will. *g*
Fruits and veggies??? What are those???? : ) Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI hope you all feel better soon and that you can get some rest.
ReplyDelete(this is Deborah, btw)
ReplyDeleteI hear you! It does get easier, particularly once the baby starts sleeping through the night. The beginning with two is SOO hard, though.
ReplyDeleteAnd yay for snuggling! That's what keeps me going.
hang in there mama….and keep writing because you are a gifted writer!!!!!! Tired is the word of my month (year?) as well. hope it's a restful weekend!
ReplyDeleteYou make tired sound manageable. Hope you all get over your colds soon.
ReplyDeleteHa! "I'm pretty sure I owe people money.". I feel that way sometimes!
ReplyDeleteHang in there!
Yes! Just live in the present, one moment at a time. :) There is usually something wonderful woven in there, like moments of sharing and snuggling. And, I hear you on the super tired - Sending energy your way!
ReplyDelete