Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas!


Christmas Eve
This Christmas season has been magical.  Finn loves the lights, the tree, the music, the stories, the movies, and Fergus the Elf on the Shelf (who was moved more than once at 2am when I woke up and realized he wasn't moved yet).  Tonight as I picked him up to put him to bed, he wrapped his arms and legs around me, put his head on my shoulder and let me just hold him.  Then I said, "Merry Christmas, Finnegan" and he pulled his head back and said, "Merry Christmas to you, Mommy, I love you."

Best moment of the day.

We had a good day, but it could have been better and easier. I learned a lot today about how to manage a day like Christmas with a toddler.  Again, it wasn't a bad day, but it felt a lot more difficult than it needed to, if only I'd thought ahead.  I'm going to put it all in this post so I remember it next year.

The very first present he opened was a tool bench from my assistant - he immediately wanted to put it together and play with it.  My dad tried to argue with him, and that quickly led to tears, until I stepped in and told Finn he could play with whatever he wanted.  So Finn played while we opened gifts, and then he opened something else and played, and then he started to get grumpy, as it was now 1.5 hours after he normally eats breakfast and food was no where in sight.  My mom had planned a yummy post-presents breakfast of french toast casserole, eggs and bacon.  Perfect for an adult Christmas morning, but not when there's a toddler involved.  I grabbed him a snack, which he ate while busily working with his tools.  When we finally did eat breakfast, he wasn't really hungry for anything but bacon, but the break from gifts was a welcome one.  After breakfast, my parents kept pressuring him to open presents, and it was driving me crazy.  He was having a wonderful time, and we weren't working on any sort of timeline...I kept asking them them to just stop, but they just wouldn't listen.  He opened his last gift at 2pm, and played with everything, and that was just perfect.

Tool bench
Virginia football!
I then took him for a quiet time drive, and he napped just a little, and then we came home and enjoyed Christmas movies and more playing with his tool bench and his rocket launcher. At one point he came running at me and gave me a huge hug, "I love my rocket, Mommy!  Thank you for getting it for me."  I did remind him that it was from his Aunt Heidi, but I'm still pretty sure I'm getting the credit for this one.  We had a lovely Christmas dinner that (for a change) was early enough for Finn to be happy, and then our sweet, quiet bedtime.
Rocket launcher in action
So here's what I would have done differently, and what I plan to do next year.  First, I'll let him open a few more presents early.  All the gifts that get mailed by friends and family will be opened as they come, and we'll open a couple on Christmas Eve.  Then, on Christmas morning we'll have Santa gifts, followed by serving a breakfast of finger foods that we can eat while opening the rest of the gifts.  If my parents are here, I'll tell them that there is no rush on opening gifts, and that they are not to badger him to open more if he's happily playing with something.  This morning would have been fabulous if we'd had food while we opened gifts and I'd not had to intervene every time my parents tried to get him to open more presents.

I'll also make sure that he naps on Christmas Eve as well.  The drive today was a lesson learned from yesterday, and while all I really wanted was to nap myself, the drive was the only way to get him to have any sleep at all, and it made the rest of the day so much better.

This morning, Finn was disappointed to learn that Santa had come and gone and he didn't see him.  It never occurred to me that Finn would think he was going to see Santa, so next year I'll make sure he really understands.  He did cheer up a little when I told him that Santa had left him presents, and eaten  all his cookies.
What do you mean, Santa is gone?
I wanted to see him.
He left me presents?

I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday season and enjoyed some quality time with those who mean the most to you.  And for those of you still waiting, I hope that next year brings you your own miracles.

19 comments:

  1. Looks more like a kid launcher than a rocket launcher! I also had to grab snacks for Felix during the last two days because he wasn't in to our odd holiday meal schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot this Chrismas, too, although probably everything will be irrelevant next year when B is older! Keeping track of food and naps and bedtimes is huge; I turned down several offers of company that would have disrupted his routines and I'm so glad I did! I also had learned from a friend of mine to let kids play with the toys they want to and not pressure then to keep opening things if they're busy playing. B is still little enough that I opened everything for him and just put it on the floor and let him discover as he felt like it. It's so hard to remember just how little our kids still are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little Finn is so photogenic!!! Adorable! And I love the spontaneous unprompted "I love you" moments....best thing ever. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo with the rocket launcher...it is stagnant, but Finn has been launched! The sweet snuggly moments like you mentioned always take me back to having a tiny baby, I'm sure you cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learned about going with the flow today too. I really enjoyed our slow day here. No one even got dressed today. From pajamas to clean pajamas. But it was nice!

    I cannot wait until I get those unsolicited "I love yous." (I will be thrilled when I finally get to hear Mom/my).

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rocket! Finn is such a handsome little guy and all those words - impressive! Glad you enjoyed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad on the whole the day went well. Parenting is a learning process. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picture of Finn and his rocket, that is great!! Good for you in adjusting the day as best you could. I just love that he wanted to play with the toy immediately after opening it, he is showing he appreciates and loves each thing! And what sweet words to tell you too! I still struggle with my parents on Christmas with our 4-year old... we didn't have anything to eat all day long as we were waiting for the big Christmas dinner at night, but they kept offering him ice-cream and chocolate for snacks in between dinner where he only ate 2 tiny pieces of broccoli. Ummm... thanks mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents have that same issue of trying to rush my kids along when they're happy doing one thing. It is good that you were able to figure out Finn's needs and know when it was time for the snacks or a nap, and time to just play with what was there. I've been looking at people's pictures of gifts under the tree lately (on FB, in the blogosphere), and it seems like they could be really overwhelming.

    It seems like you guys had a great Christmas, though. I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas. These are great pictures. And actually really great insight into Christmas with a toddler. We learned a lot this year too. I really like your suggestion of opening gifts as they arrive from friends and family. The pictures are great. Finn is such an expressive little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annelise did the "open one gift and play with it" thing. I remember someone mentioning that last year so I was prepared to go with the flow. We did stockings then ate before tackling the presents under the tree. It took several hours for her to unwrap 6 gifts. She wasn't upset about missing Santa but she is sad that Noah (our Elf) is gone.

    Glad you had a good day. Finn looks like he enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great Christmas overall. I remember the year my niece was one, she was more interested in the wrapping paper than the gifts. Funny how kids have a plan of their own.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, Finn is looking so big these days! Happy holidays to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your son is beautiful! What a special moment when he said "Merry Christmas". What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like Hanukkah would work well for Finn - open one present each night, and play with it as long as you want, since you don't open the next present until the next night. ;) I'm glad you learned some tricks for next year with Finn, and for a couple of years from now with Chimi!

    Love, love, love the bedtime moment. Such a sweetie he is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good for you to evolve your Christmas expectations. I use to spend Christmas morning with my brother's family. It was a mass confusion of twenty minutes of everyone ripping open presents & it was all over so quickly! It felt like such a let down! So I knew I wanted to have my Christmas mornings with Elena be leisurely. It's really nice opening presents having it last the whole day.

    Also, I finally got your card n the mail yesterday...it is precious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that most of your Christmas turned out alright and that so much of the season was magical for Finn. That "I love you" from him must have been great. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We open friends' presents as they arrive. We do stockings before breakfast and the rest after breakfast. Then, we do a few, play and take a break at each of the families' houses. That said, we had a sleeper. If it was nap time, she doesn't get cranky, she just finds a corner and falls asleep. Ours declared this year was "the best Christmas EVER!" It does make it all worth it.

    The pictures are precious of Finn. He looks so happy and festive.

    ReplyDelete